Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #29,191 of 63,671
Mar 17, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #29,193 of 63,671
Out of curiosity what did you think of the modified BlitzWolf? As good as $1000 IEMs as the originator of the mod says?

Still waiting on my micro drill bits to arrive.

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #29,194 of 63,671
well, i had to try the kz. Ordered the ZS3 and the bluetooth cable for something like 15$. Not expecting much but mun to see how it compares to a 20$ qcy bluetooth.

I like the QCYs better on their implementation: APTX support and low latency for movies.

The KZ bluetooth latency is not good. But for listening music only it is quite good. Also more versatile in sound because you can use it with any 2pin earphones

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #29,195 of 63,671
OK, so I've spent some serious time working on ZS6 mods.

Note that for all of these mods, you 1st use a sewing needle and gently pop off the stainless 'cheese grater' nozzle screen by poking the needle in 1 of the 'cheese grater' holes and lifting it right off. Carefully set them somewhere out of the way where you won't lose it. I recommend setting them on wax paper (sticky side down). It will keep the adhesive portion sticky, and won't let the adhesive get contaminated by dust or dirt while you are working. When you are done with your mods, just use tweeers to put the screen back in the center of the nozzle, and very gently push the screen down with your finger to make the adhesive stick.

Here's the mods I performed or attempted to perform:

1. "Folding foam" in the nozzle method

While this did cut the treble, I didn't really like how it affected the rest of the sound. It veiled the mids and boosted bass too much. There are better mod options available (read on). It did knock down the treble around ~3dB**, which is why this is a valid modification option. The advantages are that this is a quick fix, super easy to perform, and 100% reversible. I didn't test the "foam stuffed in eartip" variation of this mod, but I suspect the results will be extremely similar.

2. ZST foam mod to BOTH BA drivers in each shell (ie 2xBA). Let's call this mod "Double BA Foam Mod"

This is the mod outlined here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1167#post-13480650
I followed those instructions to a T, including the size of the foam piece. As an alternative, you could use the foam plug from the ZS3 nozzle (don't cut the foam; use exactly as removed from the ZS3). The result was about approximately ~4-5dB** cut in treble. I liked this mod much better than the "foam in nozzle" mod (ie #1), as the mids and bass were not affected, and all other characteristics of the ZS6 remained the same (soundstage, etc). However, the treble lost some airyness and sparkle quality. That tells me that there are other treble frequencies that the foam is affecting. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad mod. It's very easy to perform, and like the "foam in nozzle" mod it's 100% reversible. So I urge you to try this mod before you try the next mod (which is NOT reversible).

I also could have done additional testing with the SIZE of the foam (ie smaller foam), as well as the TYPE of foam (or even a piece of paper towel). I may still do so (just not today as I've been working on this for hours and need a break).

3. Lazer Bond fill of ONE BA drivers in each shell (ie 1xBA). Let's call this mod "Single BA Fill Mod".

What is Lazer Bond? It's one of those cheesy as seen on TV products, but this one actually works. I use the crap out of Lazer Bond, and hardly ever use super glue anymore. It dries in a few seconds using UV light, is perfectly clear, and it is somewhat removable if need be.

I especially use it for headphone mods. It's perfect for filling vent holes (partially or completely), and for gluing shells back together (use along the outside at the shell seam, such as after taking apart an IEM shell like the ZS3, ATE, etc). The result is you can't even see where it was glued if you do it right. It needs UV light to cure, so you couldn't use it inside of an opaque material and expect it to dry. But for transparent or translucent IEM shells, or bass vent holes, etc it's perfect. It's dirt cheap, lasts forever, doesn't dry out, and has a very precise "needle-like" applicator that allows the perfect amount to go where you want it to go.

See the applicator? This is what makes it so easy and effective for mods:

It also doesn't give off fumes or a 'craze' film (ie whitish film) like super glue, which is important because this film not only looks bad but craze vapors can deposit on speaker drivers and possibly cause unwanted/unpredictable effects.

Here's a photo of Lazer Bond (you can get it anywhere - drug stores, as seen on TV places, Amazon, ebay, etc).

I wanted to use this because the Lazer Bond applicator is exactly the size of the BA nozzle, so it is basically idiot proof. You barely need a drop - just enough to "fill" the nozzle on 1 of the BA drivers (doesn't matter which one). Just squeeze a drop in the BA nozzle to fill/seal it up, then use the UV light to dry it for 10 seconds. Done.

You could also use quick drying 2-part epoxy and a toothpick, or even something like Elmer's white "school glue" and a toothpick. You just need to fill 1 of the BA nozzles so it is totally sealed, but not so much that it drips out and makes a mess in the nozzle. Literally 1 drop is plenty.

Anyways, what about the sound? The result was about approximately ~4dB** cut in treble. I liked this mod much better, as the mids and bass were not affected, and all other characteristics of the ZS6 remained the same (soundstage, etc). The remaining treble had sparkle and airyness, just like in the totally stock ZS6, it's just that the total LEVEL (or amplitude) of treble was lowered some. However, this mod really made me appreciate how powerful even ONE of these high-frequency BA drivers KZ used are. If you were REALLY treble sensitive with the stock ZS6, this may still be too much for you. Even though it has a LESSER AMOUNT of treble, it's the TYPE of treble that is still there - still very bright, high frequency, and some could still call it sharp (not OVERLY sharp, as with the ZST, but definitely has an edge to it).

The only real disadvantage to this mod is that it is NOT reversible. If you are worried about the reversibility of this mod, stuff the nozzle with small blob of bluetac instead (which will accomplish the same thing, but WOULD be reversible).

4. Removal of 1xBA in each shell

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. I tried this multiple ways, and there just isn't enough room to work with. The BA drivers are located way down in the nozzle. They're stuck to one another pretty darn good. The ZS6 nozzle does not come apart as easily as the ZS5 nozzle (I think the nozzle is press-fit into the shell, not glued in like the ZS5). And if you try to remove the nozzle with force, or try ripping out a BA with pliers etc, you seriously risk really ruining your ZS6. Even if you can remove 1 of the BAs, you still have to deal with the wires. Don't waste your time with this mod. The "Single BA Fill" mod will accomplish the same thing, carries almost no risk, and won't affect the total impedance like removing a BA driver will.

5. Lazer Bond fill of ONE BA driver in each shell (ie 1xBA) PLUS the ZST foam mod to ONE BA driver in each shell. Let's call this mod "Single BA Fill + Single BA Foam" Mod

This is literally just a combination of #2 and #3 above. The only difference is that you follow #3 (the "Single BA Fill" mod). And if the treble is still "too much" for you to handle, you do the "BA Foam" mod from #2 to the ONE BA. It is still a very easy mod to perform.

As expected, this provided the most reduction in treble. I estimate ~8+dB cut in treble. The mids and bass were not affected, and all other characteristics of the ZS6 remained the same (soundstage, etc). The foam in the 1 BA does cause the treble to lose some airyness and sparkle quality (the foam must be affecting other treble frequencies).

This is the best mod if you are looking for the maximum treble cut.

If you do this mod and for some reason you don't like it, the foam can be removed, reverting this mod to #3 above (ie the "Single BA Fill" mod). Another option to get some sparkle back, is to leave the foam in place, and just use EQ to boost the treble range by a couple of dB.

I also could have done additional testing with the SIZE of the foam (ie smaller foam), as well as the TYPE of foam (or even a piece of paper towel). I may still do so (just not today as I've been working on this for hours and need a break).

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

** Note about the treble cut figures - They were approximated by A/B comparing to an unmodified ZS6, which was then cut using Rockbox's EQ at 10k until the unmodified and modified ZS6 both sounded the same. So for example, if I had to cut the unmodified ZS6 by 5dB at 10k for it to sound the same as the modded ZS6 (with mod X applied), then mod X reduced treble by 5dB. Make sense? Obviously, this isn't scientific, and using the EQ allows the manipulation of very specific frequencies, whereas mods such as foam can affect a wider range of frequencies. Please keep that in mind if down the road someone with proper measuring equipment performs these same mods and publishes the results (in other words, all ears are different, YMMV, I'm only human, etc).

Final Verdict of all of the mods:

The bottom line is that tips are easy to play with. I would mod the ZS6 if you are really treble sensitive and unhappy with it's sound. If you LOVE the ZS6 as-is, consider leaving it alone and just play with tips. I would encourage you to burn-in for 10-20 hours and see if it helps. Also, try a few different sources to see if you notice any differences (laptop, phone, DAP, iPod, whatever). Maybe you'll be happier with 1 source vs another.

The mod I settled on was #3. I think it's the best compromise between knocking the sharpness of the treble down a few notches, but still leaving intact the very personality that makes the ZS6 special. However, you could also forgo the #3 mod, and just use foam tips (wedge or ball) on the bone stock (unmodified) ZS6. It's kind of up to you.

Now, if you are one of the folks that is REALLY bothered by the ZS6, your best option IMO is #5 in combination with foam tips (wedge or ball).

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Read on for more information about tips plus the modifications...

We know that tips can also be used to effectively tinker with the ZS6 sound. If you missed the unmodified ZS6 tip rolling post, its worth a read because I talk about how each tip affects the sound.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1669#post-13848607

WITH the mods, the sound is still affected basically the same way, there's just LESS treble to try and force the tips to "deal" with.

I went back and re-tested a few of my favorite tips after modification of the ZS6 using #3 and the #5 method. The #3 method gave me the sparkle and airyness I like with the ZS6, so I could use the tips to really fine tune the sound with the tips. With the #5 method, I used tips to try and get back some of the 'extra' lost treble.

So with that said, here is where I rate the 'best' tips in combination with the modifications:

Modification using the #3 method only (ie "Single BA Fill" mod):

Treble sensitive:

1. "Ball" style foams - cuts the most treble cut. These are your the droids, er, I mean tips you're looking for. Overall smooth sound. Very "quiet" environment in your head, like you're in the recording room with the band (call it 'extreme isolation', which really allows you to concentrate on the music).
  2. "Wedge" style foams (ie generic Complys) - "Goldilocks" tip, depending on ear fit/length they may need to be cut down shorter for deepest insertion. Sight cut in treble (a good thing if you're in this category). Overall really laid back smooth sound. Treble sounds REALLY good. Just right IMO. I REALLY like this combination.
NOT Treble sensitive:
  1. "Wedge" style foams (ie generic Complys) - "Goldilocks" tip, depending on ear fit/length they may need to be cut down shorter for deepest insertion. Sight cut in treble (may or may not be your thing, but worth a try even if you don't mind the ZS6 treble). Overall really laid back smooth sound. Treble sounds REALLY good. Just right IMO. I REALLY like this combination.
  2. Dual-Flange Silicones - Adds a tad bit of soundstage, more sub bass. No change in treble/brightness.
  3. KZ Turbo/Whirlwinds - Adds bigger soundstage, bumps midrange, a tad brighter but adds a hint of graininess to the sound.

Modification using the #5 method only (ie "Single BA Fill + Single BA Foam" mod):

Treble sensitive:
  1. "Wedge" style foams (ie generic Complys) - "Goldilocks" tip, depending on ear fit/length they may need to be cut down shorter for deepest insertion. Sight cut in treble (a good thing if you're in this category). Overall really laid back smooth sound. Treble sounds REALLY good. Just right IMO.
  2. "Ball" style foams - cuts the most treble (too much when used with the "Single BA Fill + Single BA Foam" modification combination IMO). If you need this much treble cut you may want to consider finding another IEM; seriously. Overall smooth sound. Very "quiet" noise floor, like you're in the recording room with the band (call it 'extreme isolation', which really allows you to concentrate on the music).
NOT Treble sensitive:
  1. KZ Turbo/Whirlwinds - Bigger soundstage, bumps midrange, a tad brighter but adds a hint of graininess to the sound. The only valid way to "add" some treble back with using this modification method (ie "Single BA Fill + Single Foam method). A better option is really to consider the "Single BA Fill" mod instead; trust me.
  2. Dual-Flange Silicones - Adds a tad bit of soundstage, more sub bass. No change in treble/brightness.
  3. "Wedge" style foams (ie generic Complys) - "Goldilocks" tip, depending on ear fit/length they may need to be cut down shorter for deepest insertion. Sight cut in treble (may not be your thing since the mods already cut a lot of treble). But still worth a try even if you don't mind the ZS6 treble, because the overall sound is really laid back and smooth sound. A really good tip option.
Tape on BA with a normal plastic tape....and cut the surrounding of it with small scissor... Very small moustache cutting sciccor.

No need to glue it...you know

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #29,199 of 63,671
So, it's confirmed to exist a v2 of the zs6 or what?

Are the cables for the ZST and ZS6 interchangeable? They're sold separately on Ali, but they have the exact same connector.

If you look closer, the one for the ZST has an angled connector, while the one for the ZS6 is a straight connector, i heard you can change cables but it won't be a tight fit.

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #29,201 of 63,671
Are you sure this isn't why you hate noodle cables?

The only ones that I have with noodles are the Jay's A-Jay five and I actually like the cable. But then I figure everyone already knows I'm strange.

The real reason is that they are super fragile. I've never had a noodle cable last when subjected to everyday usage/movement (and that goes for ribbon cables in electronics as well). This is why the overwhelming majority of cables in the world are the round kind - from underwater communications cables to overhead power cables. It's just a stronger and more reliable design. Flat/ribbon cables were never designed for repeated movement/flexing - they were designed to remain static. If movement is required, they are only reliable when flexed in a single plane.

Flat cables do have their strengths, such as use in electronics like laptops and cell phones where space is at a premium and miniaturization is required. But that is due to more efficient use of space, NOT because of physical strength or flexibilty. They are also superior due to the physical separation of the conductors, reducing interference/interactions w/other conductors from behaviors such as friction, signal skewing, differential time delays, etc. Flat cables are also lighter vs round cables.

Each have their place. I just dont believe that place is on a headphone or earphone.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #29,203 of 63,671
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #29,204 of 63,671
Mar 18, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #29,205 of 63,671
Thanks again, they do go for a significantly higher price on GearBest, i want the red one's, but does that nozzle actually make a difference? I wish they still had the blue/grey ones :cry:

I haven't had any issue with tips coming off in my ears with the ZS6. If course I'm using the tips they come with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back