Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 17, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #29,176 of 63,834
Good work, how did he tamed just the treble? With some rubber in the tip as Slater presented? When I try to dampen it on a ear side, the 3khz drops, but 5khz stays higher. The 12khz is ok, for me 5khz is the most apparent in some songs.

There’s a multi-step mod procedure that must be carefully followed to get the BlitzWolf to be like his graph.

You have to make very specific size changes to both the front and the rear vents, remove the nozzle screen to then remove the foam plug inside of the the nozzle, and add a sheet of silicone inside the nozzle (of a specific thickness) cut to a very specific size.

Being off a fraction of a mm on any of the steps will not produce the desired results. So I’d consider it a pretty advanced mod for the average Joe.

I didn’t even have all of the exact materials required - I had to order some items before I attempted the mods on my BlitzWolf.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #29,177 of 63,834
GearBest is my only choice in Chinese vendors precisely because they take PayPal. Some vendors on Ali Express take it too, but it's not consistent site-wide.

Just a note since you seem to be new in ordering from Chinese websites. Most including Gearbest have a free shipping option. If you look through the thread you'll see all sorts of humorous comments like their purchase is being swum to them because those really inexpensive shipping choices can take 8 weeks or even more for the item to get to you. E-packet is the best option in the cost versus time equation assuming you are in the USA. For something a few ounces like a pair of inexpensive earphones it should be under $5. Gearbest did then didn't offer e-packet and I've not ordered from them this year so I don't know the current availability. They generally have free, a cheap airmail option, I think it was priority line which was still cheap but more expensive than the airmail and then an expensive choice by what in the USA is overnight shippers like DHL, FedEx, etc. Look for the one that lists about 14 days as the shipping time. For the probably $3 it will cost you'll get your earphones in less than 3 weeks instead of possibly more than 2 months.

Thanks, i'm in europe, i ordered my ZST's from an european warehouse, and 2 cases from china, and yeah that shipping method is great, the cases arrived very quickly, the problem that i have right now is that i ordered a silver cable from aliexpress, and one of the pings is significantly shorter than the others, which renders the cable unusable, and now i'm in this back and forth with them, they want to send me another cable but they say they'll take 3-5 days to send it, i don't know what they'll do that cable but i think i'lll give it a pass, they have almost 2k cables to sell, and they want to send me one that can take 5 days to ship? Damn.

Also, how's the warraty in both gearbest and aliexpress?

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #29,178 of 63,834
TAMING THE TREBLE OF THE KZ ZS6:

1. Following Slater's advise, I plugged some silicone strips from cut-up rubber tips down the tip. Hmm...tames treble but also slows bass down. The jury is still out on this one.

2. Stuffed some cut-up foam covers from the Monk Plus down the tip...created a v-shaped earphone.

3. Hifi Chris uses a 75 ohm impedance source to tame the treble and make the. I ordered an adapter:
https://goo.gl/EHM2th

4. Hifi Chris recommends an external inline volume control, which is effectively a sliding-scale impedance adapter.
https://goo.gl/L7q1FC

Dunu.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #29,179 of 63,834
if you want to reduce the treble.. u need to use triple flange tips or double flange tips... for me it works and u can find a ton of them on gearbest and aliexpress.. my kz zs6 is fine now.... but still dont have much bass though thats because of the fit issue.. they are too big for me.. bad design imho

75 ohm impedance source will lower the max volume output on smartphone I think.. but I dont know didnt tried

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #29,180 of 63,834
TAMING THE TREBLE OF THE KS6:

1. Following Slater's advise, I plugged some silicone strips from cut-up rubber tips down the tip. Hmm...tames treble but also slows bass down. The jury is still out on this one.

2. Stuffed some cut-up foam covers from the Monk Plus down the tip...created a v-shaped earphone.

3. Hifi Chris uses a 75 ohm impedance source to tame the treble and make the. I ordered an adapter:
https://goo.gl/EHM2th

4. Hifi Chris recommends an external inline volume control, which is effectively a sliding-scale impedance adapter.
https://goo.gl/L7q1FC

Why 75 Ω? Why not the 150 or 200 Ω?

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #29,181 of 63,834
they want to send me another cable but they say they'll take 3-5 days to send it, i don't know what they'll do that cable but i think i'lll give it a pass, they have almost 2k cables to sell, and they want to send me one that can take 5 days to ship? Damn.

Also, how's the warraty in both gearbest and aliexpress?

Hi, If they offer to send to you another replacement cable for free, you should accept, whatever the delivery time.

From my experience, Warranty is better with GB.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #29,183 of 63,834
Why 75 Ω? Why not the 150 or 200 Ω?
...because it worked for Hifi Chris :ksc75smile:. You can calculate the changes in the frequency response curve with altered impedance from the impedance curve. But don't ask me how.

EDIT: This is the definition of "empirical" = "based on experience". It just works!

EDIT 2: Hifi Chris told me that 75 ohm is just eyeballing (comes form another user). 50 or 100 ohm may also work - or not.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #29,185 of 63,834
I really dated myself. Good thing I didn't mention Woodstock
There’s a multi-step mod procedure that must be carefully followed to get the BlitzWolf to be like his graph.

You have to make very specific size changes to both the front and the rear vents, remove the nozzle screen to then remove the foam plug inside of the the nozzle, and add a sheet of silicone inside the nozzle (of a specific thickness) cut to a very specific size.

Being off a fraction of a mm on any of the steps will not produce the desired results. So I’d consider it a pretty advanced mod for the average Joe.

I didn’t even have all of the exact materials required - I had to order some items before I attempted the mods on my BlitzWolf.
Out of curiosity what did you think of the modified BlitzWolf? As good as $1000 IEMs as the originator of the mod says?

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #29,186 of 63,834
...because it worked for Hifi Chris :ksc75smile:. You can calculate the changes in the frequency response curve with altered impedance from the impedance curve. But don't ask me how.

That is the BEST answer.

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #29,187 of 63,834
I really dated myself. Good thing I didn't mention Woodstock

Out of curiosity what did you think of the modified BlitzWolf? As good as $1000 IEMs as the originator of the mod says?

woodstock.png

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #29,188 of 63,834
TAMING THE TREBLE OF THE KZ KS6 II:
Just ordered this one: https://headfonics.com/2017/05/the-iematch-by-ifi-audio/

Worthwhile when you have tons of iems.

That can't tame the highs of the ZS6. The iematch’s purpose is the opposite, because can be used for lower the output impedance of a source, for avoid distortion coming from impedance mismatch between the source and the headphone.

With the ZS6, you can lower the highs with an impedance adapter because, using on them a source with higher impedance, that affect mostly the BA’s response.

You can buy one cheaper from Penon: https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html

I use on them a combo foam + adapter, but the resulting highs can be still too boosted, with sibilant tracks, or the overall feeling a bit too lifeless, in others. It depends.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #29,189 of 63,834
That can't tame the highs of the ZS6. The iematch’s purpose is the opposite, because can be used for lower the output impedance of a source, for avoid distortion coming from impedance mismatch between the source and the headphone.

With the ZS6, you can lower the highs with an impedance adapter because, using on them a source with higher impedance, that affect mostly the BA’s response.

You can buy one cheaper from Penon: https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html

I use on them a combo foam + adapter, but the resulting highs can be still too boosted, with sibilant tracks, or the overall feeling a bit too lifeless, in others. It depends.
I had also ordered a 75 ohm impedance adapter, but the Dunu one ($8). Yeah, the iematch has two settings, one is 1 ohm, the other is 2.5 ohm, which may be too low for the ZS6.

A reviewer writes: "...It’s basically an analog dampener in form of a short dongle that wants to improve the compatibility with sensitive headphones and your ordinary headphone output. It does this by lowering the output volume by up to 24 dB, lowering hiss and increasing dynamics..."

I'll let you know how it works with all sorts of iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back