Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #28,171 of 63,966
Since I have two defective pairs of KZ ZS3 lying with me (right side silent in both), I wanted to know whether I can take out the drivers & everything from the left side shell and put them in the right side shell and have at least one working pair? Will it even work properly? Thanks!

Definitely would work well. I'd just want to make sure to don't put much stress to remove the driver, otherwise, it can damage the driver too. Since you're gonna open it I'd recommend you to replace the stock heat-shrink tubing to a PVC tube normally used for CIEMs. Maybe @CoiL can help you since he has reported about how crap is the construction of the stock tube, lol.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #28,172 of 63,966
Well Doc, to answer your question I prefer FiiO X5 3rd love the balanced output with Turbo mode enabled, but FiiO X5 2nd is more aggressive and in few tracks has better detail retrieval (to my ears) works good other IEMs which are not as sibilant as KZ ZS6 or ZS5 v2. I feel FiiO X5 3rd Gen is a little smooth and allow longer listening pleasure with ZS6 and ZS5.

Thanks. Precisely what I wanted to know. I think I'll go with the X5ii because my Fiio X3i is reportedly already smoother than the X5ii. That bit of extra detail retrieval sounds like what I am looking for.

Only $300
61yEFLTTJ0L._SL1500_-1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #28,173 of 63,966
Since I have two defective pairs of KZ ZS3 lying with me (right side silent in both), I wanted to know whether I can take out the drivers & everything from the left side shell and put them in the right side shell and have at least one working pair? Will it even work properly? Thanks!

Sure, totally doable.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #28,174 of 63,966
Thanks. Precisely what I wanted to know. I think I'll go with the X5ii because my Fiio X3i is reportedly already smoother than the X5ii. That bit of extra detail retrieval sounds like what I am looking for.

Only $300

Woot Woot, let's hear it for the X3i:beerchug:

Chinese Carbons.JPG

Carbanara Baby:yum:

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #28,175 of 63,966
Woot Woot, let's hear it for the X3i:beerchug:

Carbanara Baby:yum:

I hear that your X3ii is very, very close in sound to the X5ii.

I considered picking up that X3ii many many times. Many...
I went back and forth, but then the X5ii came out, then the X7i, then the Onkyo and the Pioneer, then the Cowon Plenue D, then...........

It just kept going and going so, lost in a sea of "what if that's better than the other" I just postponed things until I came across one that I just had to have. Truth is, I just should have gone with my original choice because the sound signature is supposed to be exceptionally flat and clean. 18 months to make a decision.

Pitiful.....just pitiful.

Fiio X3i:
Fiio X3(i)
Output impedance - 0.3 Ω(32Ω)
Output power - 540 mW (16 Ω/THD+N<1%)
Wolfson DAC (smooth and detailed)
71gwb5gxEOL.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #28,177 of 63,966
Here is crappy smartphone pic:
9937012_l.jpg
that jack sounds familiar to me..
er-6i-03.jpg
(my last surviving ER-6i, after plug replacement and creation of some kind of strain reliefs and chin slider using silicone tubes..)

So I lost the steel mesh on the left piece of my ZS5 Anyone knows what's the appropriate size for the ZS5? And is it the same size as the ZS3?

28125403_764430723749918_801824866_o.jpg
nozzle of ZS3: 5mm; mesh: 4-4.3mm (4 is a bit loose, but works; 4.3mm is a bit tight, but also works); tried both,
nozzle of ZS5: 5.3-5.4mm; mesh: 4.3-4.7mm (4.3mm, loose;4.7,tight). not tried,
Edit: corrected meshes sizes

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #28,178 of 63,966
I hear that your X3ii is very, very close in sound to the X5ii.

I considered picking up that X3ii many many times. Many...
I went back and forth, but then the X5ii came out, then the X7i, then the Onkyo and the Pioneer, then the Cowon Plenue D, then...........

It just kept going and going so, lost in a sea of "what if that's better than the other" I just postponed things until I came across one that I just had to have. Truth is, I just should have gone with my original choice because the sound signature is supposed to be exceptionally flat and clean. 18 months to make a decision.

Pitiful.....just pitiful.

Fiio X3i:

Oh, I just thought that was the original X3. Guess some call it the i version and mine is the ii version, it was my first serious DAP and I got the FiiO $159 special on it as a friend let me use his original receipt from his 3i to get the discount. Been a great DAP and really love it with the Topping NX2 attached:thumbsup: Nothing wrong with taking your time I ended up getting a C3 (which you know I have my Topping NX1S strapped to and love), Cayin N3, Shanling M2/M5 (another give away), multiple iDevices as well as multiple budget DAP's like Benjie S5/T6-9, Mrobo and then my Crown Jewel the Opus #1 (but compared to some of those guys in the portable rig thread nothing spectacular):rolling_eyes: Better mention my Nut Job (Walnuts) which is still my most analog sounding rig I own:smile:

A4 Walnuts.JPG

I'm so Jelli @hakuzen , my 6i's died (cable years ago and it was before I knew anyone who could fix them and dare I say I tossed them one night) Go ahead and pull the trigger I've wanted to many times! Them's were the old skool days when I had those and my EB5i's for bass punching, come to think of it they both died the cable death:triportsad:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #28,179 of 63,966
Definitely would work well. I'd just want to make sure to don't put much stress to remove the driver, otherwise, it can damage the driver too. Since you're gonna open it I'd recommend you to replace the stock heat-shrink tubing to a PVC tube normally used for CIEMs. Maybe @CoiL can help you since he has reported about how crap is the construction of the stock tube, lol.

That helps. Will see what I can do with them. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #28,181 of 63,966
I was on zs3 and all of a sudden Left side died on me.

ezgif-3-a2ca636b49.gif

Though touching near the connector bringing back the sound for a bit. So I figured it was just the cable,as I took out that memory wire right away when I received it. Tried cable from zs6 and still no change. ZS3's cable is working just fine on zs6.

Bought from gearbest on 24th december, along with ZS1,ZS6,ATE,ATE-S. Got it delivered on 1st january like a new year gift. Since I like punchy bass, all these KZs didn't quench my thirst. After about 20hrs on each of these KZs, I went back to my good old skullcandy titans (Meaning I am not an audiophile but love heavy hitting bass). I was impressed with the isolation and fit of zs3. So I used it now & then and today it just took its last breath, making me another proud owner of bad ZS3 batch.
ezgif-3-5e4efad621.gif

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #28,182 of 63,966

ezgif-3-a2ca636b49.gif

Though touching near the connector bringing back the sound for a bit. So I figured it was just the cable,as I took out that memory wire right away when I received it. Tried cable from zs6 and still no change. ZS3's cable is working just fine on zs6.

Bought from gearbest on 24th december, along with ZS1,ZS6,ATE,ATE-S. Got it delivered on 1st january like a new year gift. Since I like punchy bass, all these KZs didn't quench my thirst. After about 20hrs on each of these KZs, I went back to my good old skullcandy titans (Meaning I am not an audiophile but love heavy hitting bass). I was impressed with the isolation and fit of zs3. So I used it now & then and today it just took its last breath, making me another proud owner of bad ZS3 batch.
ezgif-3-5e4efad621.gif

Thanks for the update friend. I added you to the ever-growing list (now up to 14 known cases): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feb...nuforce-be-sport.832367/page-75#post-13961425

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #28,183 of 63,966

ezgif-3-a2ca636b49.gif

ezgif-3-5e4efad621.gif

wel.jpg

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #28,184 of 63,966
Oh, I just thought that was the original X3. Guess some call it the i version and mine is the ii version, it was my first serious DAP and I got the FiiO $159 special on it as a friend let me use his original receipt from his 3i to get the discount. Been a great DAP and really love it with the Topping NX2 attached:thumbsup: Nothing wrong with taking your time I ended up getting a C3 (which you know I have my Topping NX1S strapped to and love), Cayin N3, Shanling M2/M5 (another give away), multiple iDevices as well as multiple budget DAP's like Benjie S5/T6-9, Mrobo and then my Crown Jewel the Opus #1 (but compared to some of those guys in the portable rig thread nothing spectacular):rolling_eyes: Better mention my Nut Job (Walnuts) which is still my most analog sounding rig I own:smile:

I'm so Jelli @hakuzen , my 6i's died (cable years ago and it was before I knew anyone who could fix them and dare I say I tossed them one night) Go ahead and pull the trigger I've wanted to many times! Them's were the old skool days when I had those and my EB5i's for bass punching, come to think of it they both died the cable death:triportsad:

That Walnut seems to have piqued my interest the most, but those LZ A4's seem to be one of the few IEMs (that I've come across) that haven't lost their sizzle. After three months or so the honeymoon period is over for most IEMs, but the LZ A4 seem to have retained their original luster. Perfect choice for a cable as well.

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #28,185 of 63,966
Thanks for the update friend. I added you to the ever-growing list (now up to 14 known cases): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feb...nuforce-be-sport.832367/page-75#post-13961425
I didn't know you were compiling a list - you can add me if you like.

Two ZS3 bought from Gearbest:
August 2016 - Original (non-shiny) ZS3 arrived with faulty left speaker. Full refund from GB.
October 2017 - Later (shiny) ZS3 arrived working. Left speaker developed fault in two months. Not reported to GB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back