Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 14, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #28,156 of 64,000
I think it's best to wait until the whole country gets back to work in late February, then everything should be restocked and ready to go.

Thanks for the impressions about the cable pairing.

I've considered getting that orange cable, but in yellow and in grey. Is it a good and durable cable and has there been any discoloration since new?

I just used that image for illustration purposes.

I have the grey, so no info on discolouration.

However this is a durable cable. Only irritation is the guide wire.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #28,157 of 64,000
So I lost the steel mesh on the left piece of my ZS5 Anyone knows what's the appropriate size for the ZS5? And is it the same size as the ZS3?

28125403_764430723749918_801824866_o.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_Camera_20180214-203948.png
    Screenshot_Camera_20180214-203948.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #28,158 of 64,000
Here is crappy smartphone pic…
That's a decent looking connector. Sometimes the ones that have good conductivity look awful or cheap and the other way around too. Really nice looking jacks have awful. I ended up getting a few different straight 2.5mm TRRS to make my own balanced cables from the nicer braided silver ones since even adding in the cost of 2 jacks per cable was about $10 less than the most inexpensive pre-made ones and those didn't have as nice a cable in my opinion.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #28,159 of 64,000
I wonder if the slight bass increase is a result of using one midrange BA + one treble BA instead of two treble BAs. Not sure if that's the case but psycho-acoustics may play a part. The connection between the ears and the brain are far more advanced than we give credit for.

Proof, you all say? Give us proof!

Vertigo!

Good question, has it been proven/verified that the two BA's are dufferent in the ZS6V2?

If it really is a Mid BA I'm amazed at just how much it increases the bass presence in the V2 but something has given them a more immediate in yo face presentation! On some, actually very few cuts it's almost too much but with that said I'm also think the cut has been engineered to have more bass.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #28,160 of 64,000
So I lost the steel mesh on the left piece of my ZS5 Anyone knows what's the appropriate size for the ZS5? And is it the same size as the ZS3?

28125403_764430723749918_801824866_o.jpg

The issue with the ZS5 is that the nozzle mesh is glued into place, vs the peel and stick adhesive ring on the nozzle mesh like most IEMs.

Are you planning on glueing the mesh in place? If so, don't use superglue. Use microdrops of fast dry epoxy (applied with a sewing needle) or a few drops of Laser Bond UV glue (applied to the outside seam between the mesh and the outside edge of the nozzle are). Drops at 12 o clock, 3, 6, and 9 should be all that's needed.

On a related topic, it looks like the bass vents are coated/clogged with black paint. You can especially see it on the left IEM (the one with the missing mesh). Although it could be the lighting in the photo.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #28,161 of 64,000
Good question, has it been proven/verified that the two BA's are dufferent in the ZS6V2?

If it really is a Mid BA I'm amazed at just how much it increases the bass presence in the V2 but something has given them a more immediate in yo face presentation! On some, actually very few cuts it's almost too much but with that said I'm also think the cut has been engineered to have more bass.

Only indication is KZ going from this

ZS6(i).jpg

To this:.
51bw1h4QoUL._SL1500_-1.jpg

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #28,162 of 64,000
Yes, i knew the new schematic shows it but was wondering if any of the Modders (not mentioning any names unless COIL is a name, jk bub). Had actually torn one down and verified. I find it strange that they changed out one of the high BA for a Mid BA and specs remain the same across the board or like one the back of the box!

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #28,163 of 64,000
Yes, i knew the new schematic shows it but was wondering if any of the Modders (not mentioning any names unless COIL is a name, jk bub). Had actually torn one down and verified. I find it strange that they changed out one of the high BA for a Mid BA and specs remain the same across the board or like one the back of the box!
I finally had a chance to open my New Z6's up (Grey). The DD's are exactly as shown in diagram, there is what looks like a crossover network atop the larger driver. I haven't had the time to take the grill off yet so I can't say anything about the BA's. But they definitely sound different then my older ones.Sorry no pictures, haven't had time.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #28,164 of 64,000

It is an oddity. As far as I can make out KZ did one of two things:

1) The original image was not specific enough and they updated it to reflect more accurate specifications.

or

2) They actually adjusted the BA make up and/or bass response (I'm assuming they did so in order to go head to head with the 1More Quad-driver. Some have commented that the ZS6 is slightly less refined than the 1More Quad, so maybe this was KZ's way of addressing that).

Just a thought.

I do remember, after my original post about this subject, that someone else posted that there are actually now two different models of BAs in the nozzle now. The 30995 for the treble and another model for the midrange. I'll look for that post and add it here if I find it.

*** UPDATE ***

My mistake. The post I referred to was actually a post about the ZS5. Oddly enough though, this image does show that KZ does in fact utilize two different BAs.

10064004-1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #28,165 of 64,000
I don't believe that the $5 the $13.99 price is available anymore. However the Amazon link in what you quoted has them down to $11.99 with Prime shipping.

Provided more as info for anyone else interested. I paid $16 for my single pair in the beginning of December and wasn't unhappy with them although I didn't think they sounded as good as you feel they did. Perhaps I'll revisit them now that I have a few styles of ear tips that work well for me. I'd definitely suggest them to folks in this thread.

Getting back to the thread's topic… Do we know if the new and approved, according to the Gearbest page, ZS6 is really any different than the original ones? For that matter new ZS5, again according to the images at Gearbest, do they actually exist?

They were 8.99 each with the coupon...and yes of course ymmv.
I don't believe that the $5 the $13.99 price is available anymore. However the Amazon link in what you quoted has them down to $11.99 with Prime shipping.

Provided more as info for anyone else interested. I paid $16 for my single pair in the beginning of December and wasn't unhappy with them although I didn't think they sounded as good as you feel they did. Perhaps I'll revisit them now that I have a few styles of ear tips that work well for me. I'd definitely suggest them to folks in this thread.

Getting back to the thread's topic… Do we know if the new and approved, according to the Gearbest page, ZS6 is really any different than the original ones? For that matter new ZS5, again according to the images at Gearbest, do they actually exist?

I paid 8.99 each with the coupon. And yes of course ymmv.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #28,166 of 64,000
Test completed here's what I have uncovered on the Grey one (to my ears):
1. The bass is little bit stronger
2. The sound stage was a little wider
3. The bass is bleeding into the mids, but not too much though

Test Bed:

IEMs:
KZ ZS6 Grey (around 30hrs of burn in) vs KZ ZS6 black color (around 100hrs of burn in)

Test Track: Starboy by The Weeknd

Source:
FiiO X5 2nd Gen (with Firmware version 2.1) with FiiO L26 (3.5mm single ended to 2.5mm balanced adopter cable)

FiiO X5 3rd Gen with Firmware version 1.1.9 (balanced output) using HiByMusic v3.0.0 player

Common cable and tips:
OKCSC 0.78mm 2 Pin 2.5mm balanced cable
With 5mm Memory foam oval tips

Thanks for the ZS6 impression.

Question:
Do you prefer the sound of your X5ii over the X5iii? I don't necessarily need an android based DAP and prefer the old skool set-up. What are your thoughts on the X5ii? I hear that it's more accurate/less colored.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #28,167 of 64,000
Through a mixture of inattention and carelessness I have 2 unopened black ZS6 from the initial big discount Gearbest offered the first time. That's in addition to the opened red and black pairs. So if it turns out that there really is a mk2 of them and someone feels a need to have an older pair I'll be happy to arrange a deal for whomever wants. Right now they're just sitting in their boxes since I have no reason to open them. Of course that's in addition to the ZS5 mk2 that's unopened sitting right there next to them since I already have 2 of those opened too. Actually they're sitting on the unopened BossHifi B3 since I ended up buying a duplicate of that too. :slight_frown:

Good news, I thought I'd duplicated myself again when I got an ED9 and EDR2, think I got the model numbers right. They are practically identical in configuration, topology but they're obviously different sizes when compared. But I'd received them about a week apart from each other and it wasn't until I went to the burn-in pile to grab something to replace what I'd just finished with did I realize that they were different.

I like both as a small discreet for napping or sleeping IEM that sounds decent.

I might be interested in 1 Black ZS6 and also the Boss B3..can you pm me some pricing..I'm on Ct so shipping sb minimal.Thanks

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #28,168 of 64,000
I finally had a chance to open my New Z6's up (Grey). The DD's are exactly as shown in diagram, there is what looks like a crossover network atop the larger driver. I haven't had the time to take the grill off yet so I can't say anything about the BA's. But they definitely sound different then my older ones.Sorry no pictures, haven't had time.

What you describe is the typical ZS6 layout.

To put this to rest, someone is going to need to physically remove both BA drivers and tell us the part numbers on the body.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #28,169 of 64,000
Since I have two defective pairs of KZ ZS3 lying with me (right side silent in both), I wanted to know whether I can take out the drivers & everything from the left side shell and put them in the right side shell and have at least one working pair? Will it even work properly? Thanks!

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #28,170 of 64,000
T banks for the ZS6 impression.

Question:
Do you prefer the sound of your X5ii over the X5iii? I don't necessarily need an android based DAP and prefer the old skool set-up. What are your thoughts on the X5ii? I hear that it's more accurate/less colored.
Well Doc, to answer your question I prefer FiiO X5 3rd love the balanced output with Turbo mode enabled, but FiiO X5 2nd is more aggressive and in few tracks has better detail retrieval (to my ears) works good other IEMs which are not as sibilant as KZ ZS6 or ZS5 v2. I feel FiiO X5 3rd Gen is a little smooth and allow longer listening pleasure with ZS6 and ZS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back