1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. nadezhda 6004
    I've just received spinfit CP100 which I had high hopes for. Nope. It did not improve the sound in ZS 5 and 6. What a pity.
    BTW, I've removed the foam from ZS3 and put it to ZS5. It did not improve the sound. Shall I use tea-bags instead as was recommended at Russian websites?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    WalterTorino likes this.
  2. WalterTorino
    Thank you! Ive just thought about this spinfits. Seems like better to forget about it :) Actually, i like my QKZ's foam ear cups - 5 pairs for only few dollars. Nothing unbelieveble but i like how they fit in my ears, make HF a little bit smoother and give some more volume to a bass. KZ ZS6.

3. WalterTorino
    nadezhda 6004,
    tea-bags is not a solvation to the problem, but you can try it. Some people say that it realy help. For me it worthless.
    But I am one of the guys from Russian websites, so lets see what others will say about it :)

4. Makahl
    In my experience, each tea brand has your own material. Usually, on the cheap ones it's all about paper-ish like this one over this. So each one will act differently with the acoustic impedance and how the peaks are going to be controlled. Also, you always can add layers to get higher acoustic impedance.

So, IMO the material's quality is the most important part for taming the peaks and get a good result. I've been using silica gel bags like this to tame the ZST's peak at the treble and it works better than the tea-bag which I got here.

Slater and WalterTorino like this.
  5. WalterTorino
    I agree with you. I didn't think about material quality of tea-bags. For sure there is huge difference btwn them.
    Thank you for your advice, i'll try it :)

Makahl likes this.
  6. Slater
    I don't know much about the regular Pistons (2 vs 3 and the like), but I have read more than 1 person saying that 1 of the 2 (ie either the Piston 2 or the Piston 3) is poor.

It could be possible that you have fake ones, even though you purchased from Gearbest. Piston is a commonly faked IEM. And Gearbest was selling fake Xiaomi Pro HD not too long ago (they did not know, and since corrected the issue). The point is that it can happen to anyone. I ended up with counterfeit Sennheiser Momentums last year.

As far as the Xiaomi Fresh Edition, I have a set from Gearbest and once you remove the foam plug in the nozzle, they sound pretty good. Well worth the $3.99 I paid for them, but they aren't going to blow you away or anything like that. There's much better IEMs available, but you'll pay more than $4.

paulindss likes this.
  7. Slater
    I forget what those are, but they aren't ES3 rebrands. You can find them on Aliexpress. They are just single dynamic driver IEMs, and the cable isn't removable even though they look like removable KZ cables.

8. Slater
    ZS3 uses 7mm driver, not 6mm.

And there is room to fit a 8mm driver without mods to the 'driver holder', and possibly room for a 9mm driver if you cut out the 'driver holder'.

You can also replace the stock heat shrink tubing 'sound tube' with a proper sound tube/nozzle, as @CoiL has done:

modded ZS3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. NeonHD
    Yeah they're actually called the fonge T01, I just thought they were the ES3 cause they're shaped really similarly.

10. Slater
    Well, it's not a total loss. I have the Fonge T01, and it's not all that bad for a low-tier, single dynamic v-shaped IEM. Give them a try - perhaps you'll like them.

Although mine has a temperamental connection at the strain relief on 1 of the shells. It intermittently cuts out, but only when wiggled with some effort though. I rarely use them, but if they poop out I won't shed any tears as they were only a few dollars.

11. CoiL
    I also have 2 pairs of Fonge T01... bought shells for modding (they fit ~10mm DD nicely and have even room for 2nd smaller DD), but unfortunately fit is not so good for me (I have small ears).
    Soundwise they are L-shaped, muddy mids and soft highs, detail resolution is quite bad actually. Soundstage and imaging is mediocre.
    But for 2$ - LOL, I`m amazed they work!

Sorry about OT.

Slater likes this.
  12. nadezhda 6004
    Do you mean you take the fabric from this silica gel bag? How many layers?

13. snip3r77
    I hope that the ZXR will have a more balanced sound and better than the ZS5/6 without the sibilance.

14. Makahl
    yes! Only one layer at the nozzle. But, I think the one which I linked previously isn't exactly the same fabric as mine. The one which I'm using now has bigger pores: picture

15. Wiljen
    No sign of DHL yet, I am wondering if they took Martin Luther King Day Holiday. The USPS did, but Fedex didn't so its a toss up.