Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #26,071 of 64,001
…decided to toss some HiFiMan RE400 filters on top of the stock metal grills…
*Edit: pretty sure Slater posted something similar a while back.*
Using those filters would be a lot like using the thin foam from earbud covers that @Slater suggested. So it isn't too much of a surprise that you got similar results.

Its nice to see that there are simple cheap mods to try. I just picked up the HiFiMan RE-600 which come with similar (identical?) filters. Although I like the sound of my ZS5 V2 and ZS6 as they are now in stock condition, perhaps I'll give them a try using these filters just to see. I would have tried the earbud foam if I had earbud covers but didn't.

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #26,072 of 64,001
Not sure what everyone else does, but I put a small square of that "blue" painters tape on the outside of each case, and write the IEM on the tape with sharpie (as well as any specific information, such as "FF Mod ATE" on 1, "Stock ATR" on another, "Modded ZS6" on another, etc).

The "blue" tape sticks well to all of the different cases I have (even the KZ "woven fabric" case), and it comes off cleanly if ever needed.
I'm all about that blue tape and a sharpie.

IMG_20171207_105622_420.jpg

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #26,073 of 64,001
You don't know until you try.

I have 2 dozen behind-the-ear IEMs, and they all fit differently. The CM5 is one of the most comfortable and ergonomic fitting of my behind-the-ear collection.

ZS3 can be ill-fitting in some people. Don't judge the comfort and fit of all behind-the-ear IEMs on one single behind-the-ear IEM. That is like saying "The seats in the 2017 Honda Civic weren't comfortable, so I will purchase a motorcycle because the seats in every car must be uncomfortable like the seats in the Civic".
you're crazy the seats in the '17 civic are awesome!
sorry...too much time on the boards has me feeling contrarian

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #26,075 of 64,001
I filed and polished the second protrusion, (the one that makes them look "custom"), as well as filing the mismatched levels of the shell even in between the nozzle and protrusion, where the sharp edge was causing discomfort.

Photos?

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #26,076 of 64,001
I just received my ZS6 to replace my ZS5 v1, that is missing one side.(DOH !! yes I lost one) burned them in slightly by letting my indoor cat :pouting_cat: listen to nature sounds :lion_face:.
After a 4 hour night of listening to varied music types I decided to listen to some Steely Dan, and connected my CMOY BB amp, while I love the signature of the Zs6 with New Bee Foams, I am not in favor of carrying my Altoids amp everywhere. Does anyone have experience, advice, reccomendations or (Ridicule for losing one earpiece) for a portable amp, worthy of driving these iem's?
I believe it was @B9Scrambler that reviewed the recent offering from Walnut which seems to be worth a listen.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #26,077 of 64,001
I removed the memory wire from my ZS3 following @Slater instructions....but there was no string cheese inside! Do you think I got counterfeits, or is this just a newer version sans string cheese?:thinking:

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #26,078 of 64,001
I just received my ZS6 to replace my ZS5 v1, that is missing one side.(DOH !! yes I lost one) burned them in slightly by letting my indoor cat :pouting_cat: listen to nature sounds :lion_face:.
After a 4 hour night of listening to varied music types I decided to listen to some Steely Dan, and connected my CMOY BB amp, while I love the signature of the Zs6 with New Bee Foams, I am not in favor of carrying my Altoids amp everywhere. Does anyone have experience, advice, reccomendations or (Ridicule for losing one earpiece) for a portable amp, worthy of driving these iem's?
I believe it was @B9Scrambler that reviewed the recent offering from Walnut which seems to be worth a listen.
I have a Fiio A3 and it powers my IEMs nicely. I have the ZS5 and it sounds great with it, but the one that really seems to like the pairing is my ES3...it really cleans up the sound. I haven't done enough a/b to determine exactly how it sounds better other than a general impression of being smoother, richer, darker background etc.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #26,079 of 64,001

The Walnut F1 has gobs of power, more than enough for anything KZ sells, and despite it's brighter signature actually seems to pair pretty well with the ZS6. It's a beefy device though so you wouldn't be saving much space at all moving from the Altoids can to it. Still for 25 bucks or whatever you can find it for it's a solid choice.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #26,082 of 64,001
Topping NX1, NX2...
The Cmoy is a great amp, but a little bulky, and I guess the Walnut is not much smaller (but might be lighter!).

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #26,083 of 64,001
The Walnut F1 has gobs of power, more than enough for anything KZ sells, and despite it's brighter signature actually seems to pair pretty well with the ZS6. It's a beefy device though so you wouldn't be saving much space at all moving from the Altoids can to it. Still for 25 bucks or whatever you can find it for it's a solid choice.
Doesn't it have a high output impedance though?

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #26,084 of 64,001
I have a Fiio A3 and it powers my IEMs nicely. I have the ZS5 and it sounds great with it, but the one that really seems to like the pairing is my ES3...it really cleans up the sound. I haven't done enough a/b to determine exactly how it sounds better other than a general impression of being smoother, richer, darker background etc.
Thanks for that thought, i have a pair of ES3 on the way

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #26,085 of 64,001

Users who are viewing this thread

Back