Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Mellowship
    Just giving another chance to the ZS3... Finally they are starting to sound right. But they need juice. Lots of...
    IMG_20171207_212432.jpg

Slater and B9Scrambler like this.
  2. Strat Rider
    Good point, I'll have to look at that. The Cmoy is good, i originally bought it for my philips x2 over ears, but it really brought out the mids of the zs6 without brightening the highs.
    @Mellowship, I admit, I never really looked into the Toppings, I will now.
    @B9Scrambler, i didn't realise the walnut was that size.
    @Cruelhand Luke, the Fiio seems like a good match.

3. Slater
    So many people rush to judgments on all sorts of HPs/EPs without amping them. It can really transform some gear.

HungryPanda and nkramer like this.
  4. nkramer
    absolutely, totally agree. even though most of them don't "require" an amp, but using one sure can change their characteristics.

Strat Rider and Slater like this.
  5. Mellowship
    Toppings are a bang for the buck. Some users report EMI and RFI problems though.
    I myself have the NX2 (1st version), and the amp section is fabulous. The DAC is jst OK, it does the job. No problems with interference. And the battery lasts a lifetime.

6. Mellowship
    In my case it went from "what a narrow soundstage" to "there's some width and depth here... hum...", and from "it's all about that bass" from "there are a couple more frequencies here, besides the rumble... hum...".

Strat Rider and Slater like this.
  7. Strat Rider
    I agree about the amping changing sound characteristics.
    I have to say, that Walnut F1 read was interesting.

OFF Topic, OMG, I just looked at my avatar and realized that i joined Head-Fi in 2014, and just started posting to any thread (this one) a week or so ago.
    Thank you to the KZ community for showing me the way of the KZ!

8. Cruelhand Luke
    I did a similar thing, I had an account for like three years and only posted once or twice; I just read a TON...then for some reason when I finally did want to post I couldn't log into that account, so I started this new one. It's funny, once I opened my mouth I kind of expected there to be a little bit of "well what do YOU know you've only been on headfi a few months" type of pushback. No such thing...unless the mods were running out ahead of me and erasing the bad comments so I never saw the criticisms...
    back on topic!
    I agree about amping helps, sometimes enormously, my issue is when something like my ZS3 which I had intended as my 'heavy errands' IEM. (As in put them in, forget about them and go get a bunch of stuff done - not 'critical listening'.) But, compared to my other stuff I am just not liking them nearly as much...it's great that they sound good out of a desktop amp, but that kinda defeats the purpose, right?

9. Mellowship
    You're absolutely right! IEMs should sound their best on portable gear. And good ones do!
    My Shure SE215 pairs beautifully with the ****tiest phone or the smallest DAP, but sounds thin and tiny with my desktop amp. They are intended to be personal stage monitors for live gigs. Same thing for other IEMs I own, Soundmagic, Sony, etc... which are more mass-market products.
    But the KZs are neither designed for the masses or for the professional public, are they? KZ is a strange new world...

10. Cruelhand Luke
    I got into KZs because I like value and good SQ, but almost just as much a part of the allure is the fact that I can mess around with them - take them apart and modify them and learn about BA drivers. Where else am I going to get an IEM with 4 drivers per ear and not break the bank?

nkramer and Strat Rider like this.
  11. Mellowship
    Here are circa 90 USD in kz stuff.
    IMG_20171207_234722.jpg

They all sound differently, they're all good, I end up using them more than my expensive ones. If one dies, I just go grab another. No worries. Just fun.

trellus, maxxevv, Slater and 2 others like this.
  12. Cruelhand Luke
    You fool, you could have had 2 Marshal Modes for that amount! You sir, clearly have a problem...
    I only have 4 KZs and am therefore perfectly fine.

13. Mellowship
    Ahahahahah!
    Shame on me!
    Maybe I can marshalmode my way out of the KZ disease!

groucho69 and HungryPanda like this.
  14. Cruelhand Luke
    You would just be trading bad habits...stick with the ones you have already, since you don't know that you aren't enjoying them. :wink:

Mellowship likes this.
  15. Viber
    So i did a bit of testing in Gaming\TV actions scenes today with some KZ models and here are my results:
    kz comp1.jpg

I did this for fun and i would love to hear other people's opinions on this.
    I would say the imaging is "flavored" differently in each of them. ZS6 is more of a classic left-right while the ATR and the ZS3 are more "surround sound" oriented.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Strat Rider, Slater and HungryPanda like this.