Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #24,226 of 63,836
They are source sensitive, as to me they are more precise with my Fulla than my portable rig, but maybe @lowendtheory77 say it just thinking about the signature.

Anyway... have you try to EQ them a bit ?

Nah! No EQ. I just plug them into my Bose desktop speakers. I gotta say that they sound a bit better with New Bee foam tips over stock ones. It kinda fixes the splashy treble. I just not blown away. It sounds about congested. But I could see the argument for fixing the bloated mid-bass with EQ.

Also, I really believe that that KZ ED7 is straight up better. And it'a around the same a price at ~$7.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #24,229 of 63,836
Gearbest with discount codes but they are only a short term code. Gerorge from gearbest puts the codes in another thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/201...uedio-f2-62-99-bluedio-te-8-99.832367/page-30
Occasionally he mistypes a code or there's a communication problem and the code doesn't work. But he seems to at least try to fix the problem if you post in the thread that there's a problem. Just remember the time zone difference between China and wherever you are when waiting for a fix.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #24,230 of 63,836
How does the second one fit even after cutting plastic? It is 0.75mm. Does not ZS5 or ZS6 require 0.78mm cable?

Will I be able to use another cable if I use that one with zs6 ?
I've seen enough posts that it works that I'd guess either the description is wrong or the pins have enough give that they fit. As far as using any cable goes you'll still be able to use a different one after using the first. They're just press fit so just pull one off and push another one on.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #24,231 of 63,836
I ordered a green one Wednesday, along with a carbon ZST. I guess the price was 'good enough' for me at 26.00 and 9.00 respectively. I tend to agonize over saving a few pesos here and there, so just buying them now at a significant discount was a freeing experience, lol.
Add to that the likelihood of order processing and shipping may be slowed to a crawl on and after 11.11 and I figure I have a win-win situation...
You convinced me sir, ordered along with the flash sale KZ BT v4.2 :ksc75smile: God help my wallet...

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #24,233 of 63,836
Man, after so much research, I feel like it's not worth going for a portable amp/dac for & 100 or under. Got a lot of great suggestions but I'll just get a cheap, beginner friendly non-potable amp/dac I guess. Anyone have any suggestions? I think the sabaj D3 looks pretty good in this range. I mainly wanna run my Zs5 and Philips shp9500. Apparently some have a bass boost button, that would be preferable since I suck at EQs (I'll also use zs3, and the plethora of chifi iems with them)

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057?

@hakuzen loved all you're suggestions, but I guess I had to sacrifice portability for maximum sound quality. So is the sabaj D3 a good choice? I mainly wanna run my Philips Sph9500 with bass boost and my Zs5 with extra oomph. I also looked at the Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057, it's got those bass/treble/mids switch. Dunno if it's good tho, but it's only around 40$.

Lastly, would a fiio k1 be a viable option? I hear it's not that good, but thought maybe, if I get a good deal, I'll go for the k1+sabaj d3

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #24,234 of 63,836
Man, after so much research, I feel like it's not worth going for a portable amp/dac for & 100 or under. Got a lot of great suggestions but I'll just get a cheap, beginner friendly non-potable amp/dac I guess. Anyone have any suggestions? I think the sabaj D3 looks pretty good in this range. I mainly wanna run my Zs5 and Philips shp9500. Apparently some have a bass boost button, that would be preferable since I suck at EQs (I'll also use zs3, and the plethora of chifi iems with them)

@hakuzen loved all you're suggestions, but I guess I had to sacrifice portability for maximum sound quality. So is the sabaj D3 a good choice? I mainly wanna run my Philips Sph9500 with bass boost and my Zs5 with extra oomph. I also looked at the Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057, it's got those bass/treble/mids switch. Dunno if it's good tho, but it's only around 40$.

Lastly, would a fiio k1 be a viable option? I hear it's not that good, but thought maybe, if I get a good deal, I'll go for the k1+sabaj d3
Hey I am in the same boat as you.Why not get Fiio Q1 ( they also released a newer Mark II ) and if you need desktop solution the FX Audio Dac X-6 I don't own it personally but plan to and its also in /r/headphones recommended list.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #24,235 of 63,836
Hey I am in the same boat as you.Why not get Fiio Q1 ( they also released a newer Mark II ) and if you need desktop solution the FX Audio Dac X-6 I don't own it personally but plan to and its also in /r/headphones recommended list.

Yea i feel you,
I'm equally confused, supposedly the sabaj d3 is better and the x-6 are about the same price. If anyone can confirm if it's true or not, that would be appreciated. I might get the x-6 as well if it's a solid option that's better than the sabaj d3...Or maybe someone knows a better option... I can be wishful right?

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #24,236 of 63,836
@RomStar, @young59:
FX Audio Dac X-6: 10 ohms output impedance, unknown on coupling caps.
Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057: unknown output impedance (possibly low, but unknown), likely has coupling caps (output stage has a dc bias).
Sabaj D3: unknown output impedance (possibly low, but unknown), likely has coupling caps (output stage has a dc bias).

None of those are really ideal for use with the ZS5.

As for the ones that don't have obvious issues that make them unsuitable:
Fiio K1 is reportedly a bit noisy for use with sensitive IEMs. (limited formats)
Sabaj D2 has limited power output (35mW). (some driver issues?)
Fiio Q1 has more features, but more limited formats.
Fiio Q1 MkII costs more for less power, many more features though

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #24,237 of 63,836
@RomStar, @young59:
FX Audio Dac X-6: 10 ohms output impedance, unknown on coupling caps.
Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057: unknown output impedance (possibly low, but unknown), likely has coupling caps (output stage has a dc bias).
Sabaj D3: unknown output impedance (possibly low, but unknown), likely has coupling caps (output stage has a dc bias).

None of those are really ideal for use with the ZS5.

As for the ones that don't have obvious issues that make them unsuitable:
Fiio K1 is reportedly a bit noisy for use with sensitive IEMs.
Sabaj D2 has limited power output (35mW).
Fiio Q1 has more features, but more limited formats.

Man it feels bad,
Now I'm back to square 1..... So what's a viable option? Is there anything under 100, that would work with the zs5 and she shp9500? Preferably with the bass switches?

I had high hopes for the dx-6 and sabaj d3, oh well :frowning2:

Edit: would you or anyone else happen to know any obscure Chinese dac+amp that would satisfy the needs for under $100?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #24,238 of 63,836

sabaj da3 is also a portable dac, like da2 and fiio k1. they all get digital via USB (input) and convert (DAC) to analog sound which is amplified and goes out through a 3.5mm stereo jack socket, where you plug your head/earphones.
that's way thy are known like "DAC/Amp", because they convert music from digital to analog and then, gets amplified.
but none of them have an analog input to amplify an analog signal. unique input is usb.
so k1+da3 has not sense: they are the same thing.
the difference between them is that da2 and da3 have quite better specifications (noise, distortion, etc.) than k1. difference between da3 and da2, is da3 has an alternative balanced output.
despite of their size, all of them can drive your phones perfectly by their own.

which use can you do of these DAC+Amps? you can connect them to the USB of your PC or of your smartphone (USB OTG cable in this case).

a pure and single headphones amplifier has got an analog input (3.5mm stereo, for example, where you plug in a cable from the stereo output of your pc/smartphone/DAP) and an analog output (to plug your head/earphones), basically. it doesn't convert digital to analog audio (that must be done in your pc/smartphone/DAP).

if the DAC of your pc/smartphone is crap, a DAC+Amp like da2, da3, k1 is a solution.
if the output impedance of your PC/smartphone is high (>1ohm) and/or is using coupling caps, a DAC+Amp but also a single headphones amplifier solves this.
if your smartphone doesn't provide enough audio power to drive your phones, a headphones amplifier but also a DAC+Amp(if enough powerful) solves this.
if your player (DAP) doesn't provide enough audio power to drive your phones, or have high output impedance, or coupling caps, a headphones amplifier solves this.

the fantastic thing of da2 and da3, is they have better specifications than many pc soundcards, and than most smartphones audio's.
the downside of using a dac to replace the dac of your smartphone, is that you have to install drivers (not a problem), and that many smartphone apps are not able to send the output to the usb (using these drivers). so you end using audio dedicated apps (not a problem either).
the problem with single headphones amplifier is that we are looking for enough powerful, output impedance <1ohm, no coupling caps, low noise and distortion. and there are no so many. btw, have you checked fiio's pure headphones amplifiers?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #24,240 of 63,836
Man it feels bad,
Now I'm back to square 1..... So what's a viable option? Is there anything under 100, that would work with the zs5 and she shp9500? Preferably with the bass switches?

I had high hopes for the dx-6 and sabaj d3, oh well
Fiio Q1 still has my vote for a do-it-all type solution - a bit noisy for my tastes at ~7uV but hard to find much better for overall feature set.
Sabaj D2 has a slightly lower noise floor (I think?), but quite limited power by comparison.
Fiio Q1 MkII is reportedly a solid choice too, less power in SE, but more formats, balanced output, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back