Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 23, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #23,911 of 63,966
Yes those tips work wonders! I use them in most IEMs with excellent results. Only in those that are hard to fit I use silicone ones. The ZS3 is great with foams but I always get a hard time twisting them around my ears to get a comfy fitting.

FYI, if you look for foam tips that are listed as “slow rebound”, it helps because after you squish it with your fingers it takes longer to expand back into shape. This gives you extra time so that you can get the IEM inserted (pulling back on the top of the ear), twisted around, and situated in place etc before the foam expands and locks everything into place

Some foam tips rebound faster, and really don’t give you enough time. The KZ gel foam tips are like this as well, which is yet another reason why I’m not fond of them.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #23,912 of 63,966
FYI, if you look for foam tips that are listed as “slow rebound”, it helps because after you squish it with your fingers it takes longer to expand to shape. This gives you extra time so that you can get the IEM inserted (pulling back on the top of the ear), twisted around, and situated in place etc before the foam expands and locks everything into place

Some foam tips rebound faster, and really don’t give you enough time. The gel foam tips are like this as well, which is yet another reason why I’m not fond of them.
Yes, and even in this Comply imitation tips, they tend to rebound at different rates depending on colour. I have the impression the darker the tips, the fastest the rebound. Black ones also seem slightly harder than the light greys or the red/blue ones. Go figure that out...

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #23,913 of 63,966
I like using red for Right and blue for Left channels. Makes it so very easy to identify correct earpiece. I just did a quick unscientific test and indeed red one rebounds slower by about 2 seconds vs blue. Both are slow enough (ca. 5 sec) to allow fitting into ear.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #23,914 of 63,966
Since we're talking foam tips here (I already asked a page ago, but I seemed to be ignored lol T.T), what works best with the ZS6? Should I get foam tips like the Comply T400 or should I settle for SpinFit CP100-M (in which I'm kinda leaning to buy)? I am aiming for taming the treble, as I said earlier, the ZS6 is a bit sibiliant to my tastes.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #23,915 of 63,966
If you're looking to tame the treble, go foams. I grabbed the Bees off Amazon and they're perfect (5-7mm).

Spinfits are awesome, but the regular spinfits don't really work for the ZS series because they're not a deep insertion IEM. The Blades, the cp240-m, do work a lot better, but I still prefer the foams for these.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #23,916 of 63,966
Firstly thanks all for answering my questions, ultimately I went for the Bee tips cuz of 2 reason. One: It was 20$ cheaper than comply lol. Two: I paid 8$ to get it shipped within a week, not bad I guess.

Secondly, thanks a lot for clarifying the difference between Revision 1 and 2. As far as I understand Rev 2 is more zs6 esque with the dual BA at the nozzle. I know sound is subjective but I watched DSM3 TV retract his statement very recently. He says he no longer recommends Rev 2 of Zs5 due to the treble spike. Now I didn't blindly take his words, but I trust him and I'm a bit confused. And if the V2 sounds anything like the ZS6, apparently the treble is over whelming. That's what I saw in all the ZS6 reviews

Kinda wish I had a V2 to compare against, but alas I can't. However I am getting the Swing Ie800, which is apparently treble centric but amazing supposedly, guess we will see ^^

BA near the front wall - my guess would be a v1, but check different lighting / angles / move your head and the light around and you should be able to see better if there is indeed a second circle.

Thanks for letting me know, after looking back I could not see any 2nd BA. Just a question tho, what do some mean by this Revision 1 utilizes only 3 drivers? That confuses me :0

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #23,917 of 63,966
Since we're talking foam tips here (I already asked a page ago, but I seemed to be ignored lol T.T), what works best with the ZS6? Should I get foam tips like the Comply T400 or should I settle for SpinFit CP100-M (in which I'm kinda leaning to buy)? I am aiming for taming the treble, as I said earlier, the ZS6 is a bit sibiliant to my tastes.

I recommend the mucho inexpensive T400 clones. I can't justify $20/set for comply's.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #23,918 of 63,966
Thanks for letting me know, after looking back I could not see any 2nd BA. Just a question tho, what do some mean by this Revision 1 utilizes only 3 drivers? That confuses me :0

No, both versions have 2 BA per side. In version 1 a single BA is in the nozzle and the 2nd is in the main body of the IEM. In Version 2 both BAs are in the nozzle.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #23,920 of 63,966
Better is subjective.

In measurable terms, there's a big spike in treble energy around 7-10kHz on the v2 as compared to the v1. There's also changes to the DD configuration that are less well categorized.

As for the treble spike - people seem to expect it to translate simply based on what a 10kHz sine wave sounds like... but that's not how our hearing works. Mostly the perceptions of such a spike will fall into one of two camps: a) very detailed treble, or b) sharp/hot treble :shrug:

Can you post some measurement of the ZS5 v2? i don't wanna to offend you. But i saw measurments/graphs of the v1 and ZS6 only. Expecting the v2 have similar spike to ZS6 at aprox 11-14kHz.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #23,921 of 63,966
Actually, the ZS5 has a number of vents, all along the “seam” where the back cover attaches to the shell. It looks like there’s a ‘gap’ in the seam, but if you look carefully you’ll notice all of the vents.

The ZS6 seals the cover at the shell, and moves all of the vents to the rear cover (in addition to increasing the overall area of the vents).

As far as the effect of the vent configuration on the ZS5 vs the ZS6, I have only noticed a slight difference in soundstage between the 2 (ZS6>ZS5), but as far as isolation ZS5>ZS6.

And if at the 11.11 the ZS5 is in the 15ish $ and the ZS6 above 35$, is the SQ difference enough to justify such a gap in price?

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #23,922 of 63,966
Can you post some measurement of the ZS5 v2? i don't wanna to offend you. But i saw measurments/graphs of the v1 and ZS6 only. Expecting the v2 have similar spike to ZS6 at aprox 11-14kHz.

Hi-FIChris posted a graph of all three - go back a few pages and it is there. It was very shortly after the release of the Zs6 when He and I were the only ones that had them.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #23,923 of 63,966
I'm really hoping to find an LZ-A4 at a good discount on 11.11. Probably will grab a couple more Magaosi K3s for the wife and daughter if they come down at least $25 or so. Would love to see them on sale at $50 but doubt we will see a price quite that good.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #23,924 of 63,966
So... Can we finally assume that the rumor about a Double Driver ZS3 was just a rumor?

I really love the ZS3's shell, i'm disappointed that i dont hear anything about "the new model" anymore.
It's not a rumor.

Hillsonicaudio as proved to be a trustfully report for what KZ tell at the retailer shops. If KZ have delayed that model a bit there is no need, as for now, to thinking that the production of that model was canceled or the info may be just a baseless rumor.

See here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ01BrBFvjc/?taken-by=hillsonicaudio
Waiting for new KZ launches? Probably gotta be more patient for it then ... ZS4 and ZSR will probably be long still, month end or early November will likely be the new expected launch date.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #23,925 of 63,966
I've always used 17track.net for tracking shipping from Chinese stores. I use Deliveries Package Tracker by oRRs on my Android devices. The author is great about adding or correcting the various shippers. As soon as the gearbest web site shows any tracking information (its usually tracking information sent to shipper) I add it to the app and it tracks it well.

17track can't find the number either, and about a month since ordering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back