Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 9, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #23,116 of 63,907
Well, I received my Z6's Saturday and popped them in OOB and they sounded decent. Swapped out tips for Comply's and wow.
Overall imopression (IMHO), very fluid and airy layers of instruments (especially drums) very clear no distortions. Extremely satisfied. Source DX200 AMP1.
Just remember that everyone has different perception to sound, but these are definitely a keeper. Have been listening exclusively for last 2 days.
High praise. The anecdotal info about foams matches those cool graphs that @hakuzen did. :call_me:

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #23,117 of 63,907
I think the big question is where does Kz go next? With being new to aluminum shells, I think they have a lot of experimenting that could be done with re-shelling some of their existing product line. Or do they pick another line to clone in the same way the Zs5/6 copied the style of campfire? I could see them attempting to clone the shape of the Noble since it is easily recognized by sight. I think that part of their choice to use the Campfire design is: from a distance, everyone knows from the look who made that product.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #23,118 of 63,907
I think the big question is where does Kz go next? With being new to aluminum shells, I think they have a lot of experimenting that could be done with re-shelling some of their existing product line. Or do they pick another line to clone in the same way the Zs5/6 copied the style of campfire? I could see them attempting to clone the shape of the Noble since it is easily recognized by sight. I think that part of their choice to use the Campfire design is: from a distance, everyone knows from the look who made that product.
I like the exaggerated approach, ie more drivers is better.

The ES6 should come out with dual dynamics and TRIPLE Armatures. :call_me:

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #23,119 of 63,907
I'd like to see them take a step back and use the shell from the Zs6 with a single full range BA that is really tuned for the shell.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #23,120 of 63,907
I'd like to see them take a step back and use the shell from the Zs6 with a single full range BA that is really tuned for the shell.
KZ really seems to want to push their own BA manufacturing, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think they've put a full range BA in anything, at least not any time recently?

I would love to see what they can do on that front too though, but I get the feeling we're going to be waiting a while - here's hoping :wink:

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #23,121 of 63,907
Only $70 more!

I agree with ZS5 sound stage, it's not very large. When I go back to my ZST's I'm blown away by things floating around my head. ZST's are my gaming IEM's since I use an external studio mic. I'm waiting for KZ's next soundstage monster.

Just doing my part to inform the hype train. Folks were comparing the ZS6 to the K3. K3 is on a different level in terms of SQ from the zs5 which is reportedly only marginally better than the zs6. That $70 does buy you something.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #23,122 of 63,907
Just doing my part to inform the hype train. Folks were comparing the ZS6 to the K3. K3 is on a different level in terms of SQ from the zs5 which is reportedly only marginally better than the zs6. That $70 does buy you something.

This matches with what I had said. I said at $50 the Zs6 was good, at $100 there were better choices like the K3 or the Fiio F9. Of those two, my preference is the K3HD.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #23,123 of 63,907

I hope the rumored next gen zs3 is a thing. Love, love, love that shell and how it fits. A BA/DD in that shell, particularly if they did something more thoughtful than just jam a BA in the barrel, would be awesome. Oh, and while we're at it, I want it with the matte finish.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #23,124 of 63,907

KZ needs to do what 1More and Mee did and take a leap up to the $200 area with something designed in-house from the ground up.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #23,125 of 63,907
KZ needs to do what 1More and Mee did and take a leap up to the $200 area with something designed in-house from the ground up.
Mee didn't go that route for a while.... Would be cool to see if kz could hack it though.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #23,126 of 63,907
I like the exaggerated approach, ie more drivers is better.

The ES6 should come out with dual dynamics and TRIPLE Armatures. :call_me:
Doesn't that kinda defeats the purpose of having multiple BAs? I mean you got a large dd for the lows, the smaller dd for the mids. Why the heck would you need three BAs for the highs?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #23,128 of 63,907
I would be curious if KZ can manufacture some BA's (2,3, or 4 pcs in each shell) only iem... For example in Shure shell (i like the comfortability of the Shure shells).
And than i would like to see earphones (1DD+1BA) in ZS3 shell, but without any cable, just earphone with BT inside (it could be difficult to manage that thing).
Will look forward what KZ can, lets say, designed.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #23,129 of 63,907
My palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms not really heavy
The lighting was set up already, no spaghetti
I wasn't really nervous but the surface looked grey and steady, I was ready
To take photos but I did not notice
That the zoom was stuck, the barrel didn't slide out
Until the last shot when I finally fixed it however
The aperture ring did work this time.
The session's over, photos taken, yeaow! (But let's save them for later today/tomorrow.)

So yeah, the green ZS6 arrived today, just as expected. Stunning build quality, especially for the price, just as with the black ones I already have on hand.
The colour is more like a dark peppermint green or shade of teal. Doesn't look as cool as I imagined it. Dunno, seems like I now need the red one as well.

Y'er all probably asking yourself "Honey Boo Boo Chris, does it sound any different from the black ZS6 of an early batch you received some time ago?", and my reply is "no".
Phase and sides of the cable are correct this time unlike with the upgrade cable of the ZS5 I revieweed some time ago where the polarity and sides were inverted. But the sides and phase were already correct with the black ZS6.

Anyway, as for the tuning: This later batch green ZS6 sounds basically identical to the early batch black ZS6. So yeah.

What I also noticed (by an ingenious accident (the LH Labs Geek Out IEM 100 that I personally love and always use for frequency response measurements because of its low output impedance has got another output with a claimed high impedance (47 Ohms). The plug I cover it with came loose and I though "hey, that's the perfect device to easily measure the effect a pretty high output impedance has on the sound of any IEM", and so I tested with the ZS6)): increasing the output impedance doesn't change a thing about the midrange or bass. But it affects the nastiness and tames it:

Effect of the Output Impedance (47 Ohms GO IEM 100).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #23,130 of 63,907
Doesn't that kinda defeats the purpose of having multiple BAs? I man you got a large dd for the lows, the smaller dd for the mids. Why the heck would you need three BAs for the highs?
For air movement. Or they could do two different crossovers - the dynamics could do full range split and then the BAs could also do a three way crossover. Idk, I like seeing ridiculous designs. :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back