Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #17,327 of 63,915
On that subject, is that the case with ZS3 too? I wanna order some foam tips, I just need to make sure they'll fit. Any sugestion for the tips for ZS3?

I don't have any measurements but the ZS3 nozzle is slightly narrower than the ZST. I was testing out the KZ Turbo ear tips, which are gray with either a red or blue core, and while they fit both the ZST and ZS3 the ear tips came off the nozzle and lodged themselves in my ear when I used them with the ZS3.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #17,328 of 63,915

+1

I have lots of both of those KZ cases and they are great.

The plastic hard case one is giant - like the size of 4-5 iphones stacked up. It does provide the best protection though. You could throw against a brick wall and it would laugh at you. One downside to the hard case is you have to be careful not to pinch the cable in any of the edges (seams) when closing the case (like this):

For IEMs with memory wires, the semi-hard case is a more compact alternative to the plastic hard case, and works great as long as you carefully coil up the cable to fit.

For most things without memory wire (ear buds, etc), the generic circular cases work perfectly (such as the "Music Doctor" cases Gearbest sells). You can find them on aliexpress for under $1. They are perfectly pocketable, but they are thinner than the semi-hard case (which is why I don't use them memory wires).

Here's a photo:

I've never seen the GGMM case Vidal. Is this it?

Anyone here to recommend a decent case for cheap?

I've also got the KZ semi-hardcase and half a dozen round cases with different comic and mangadesigns (Princess Mononoke, Batman, Totoro and stuff 
biggrin.gif
 ) Easily to distinguish when switching between phones on the go and I like them better than the uni ones. 
OT: Those round ones are also titled as coin purse and key purse. A purpose I also use them for. (I think you can fit about 10 Keys inside, hanging at the small loop next to the zipper)

Edit:
Put the quote in a spoiler for the sake of our smartphoneusing members 
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #17,331 of 63,915

On that subject, is that the case with ZS3 too? I wanna order some foam tips, I just need to make sure they'll fit. Any sugestion for the tips for ZS3?

ZS3 nozzle is like around 5.1 mm. You'll need a tip with hole smaller than 4.8 mm for it to have decent grip to not slide around.

Though, you can always wrap an electrical tape or other tape adhesives on the nozzle to make tips with larger holes fits. If the tips have smaller hole, it still fits with enough force, but expect a slight decrease on high frequency.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #17,332 of 63,915
I've also got the KZ semi-hardcase and half a dozen round cases with different comic and mangadesigns (Princess Mononoke, Batman, Totoro and stuff :D  ) Easily to distinguish when switching between phones on the go and I like them better than the uni ones. 
OT: Those round ones are also titled as coin purse and key purse. A purpose I also use them for. (I think you can fit about 10 Keys inside, hanging at the small loop next to the zipper)

Edit:
Put the quote in a spoiler for the sake of our smartphoneusing members :beerchug:  

That's a really good idea. I have to use a silver metallic Sharpie & write on the outside of the case. But it will look stupid if down the road what's stored inside doesn't match what I wrote on the outside.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #17,333 of 63,915

ZS3 nozzle is like around 5.1 mm. You'll need a tip with hole smaller than 4.8 mm for it to have decent grip to not slide around.

Though, you can always wrap an electrical tape or other tape adhesives on the nozzle to make tips with larger holes fits. If the tips have smaller hole, it still fits with enough force, but expect a slight decrease on high frequency.

Damn...are there cheap ones that will fit well and not be a bitch to install? From what I've seen on Ali, it's either 4.1 or 4.9 mm...
A review of ZS3 on Head-Fi mentioned they got good results with Ultimate Ear's UE600 tips, which are T-200/4 mm, IIRC? Isn't that too small?

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #17,335 of 63,915

Damn...are there cheap ones that will fit well and not be a bitch to install? From what I've seen on Ali, it's either 4.1 or 4.9 mm...
A review of ZS3 on Head-Fi mentioned they got good results with Ultimate Ear's UE600 tips, which are T-200/4 mm, IIRC? Isn't that too small?

4.1mm should be fine and as Envinite said tape will do the trick if its big even tho i dont think KZ has small tips on these units, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/complys/32477744702.html?
Im getting these myself as they are supposed to be the comfort ones from comply and a lot of users have said that they are somewhat good

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #17,337 of 63,915
Checking in with my KZ LP3 that arrived last week. I figured for under $15, why not right?

Open design, lightweight, and comes with 2 sets of different foam pads (smaller on-ear and larger Grado bowl style).

Looks kind of like a baby Grado, right? Boy, I couldn't wait!

Well, I was sorely disappointed. What a turd sandwich.

It has the construction of a dollar store headphone. The small stock pads are GLUED on, and to swap to the larger included Grado bowl-style pads, you have to disassemble the cups. You would think those 3 in-your-face screws are holding the cups together, which would have been too easy. The screws are just holding the basically cosmetic grille on. Instead the cups are clipped together with the world's most brittle plastic. So I broke every clip opening them up, and you would think the pad would come right off, right? I mean, they included an alternate set of pads, right? Wrong. The pads are GLUED on, and you have to tear them apart to remove them. In the process, the aluminum trim ring fell off on both sides too. So I finally switch the pads to the large ones, but since I broke all of the clips I had to super glue the cups back together, as well as the aluminum trim rings.

Now to try them on. Well, the headband has about 1.5" of length adjustment, but the cups are at a fixed angle so they have no rotation or tilt. If I had a cube-shaped head they would have fit great, but my head isn't a cube. Therefore the only way to adjust anything is by bending the metal sliders with pliers (which takes a number of bending re-adjustments to get a good fit). In the process of all of that bending and re-bending, the aluminum trim rings fall off again, so I reglue them for a 2nd time.

Whew! With that done, time to fire these bad boys up and take a listen!

Well, remember how I said it had the construction of a dollar store headphone? Well, it has the sound of one too. You would think with it being open it wouldn't sound half bad. I mean, the KSC75 is $15 and sounds stellar. Well, these sound like a pocket-sized transistor radio. I should have known too, because when I had the cups apart to swap the pads, the drivers were the saddest looking things I've ever seen (I didn't measure them, but they looked to be about 20-25mm in diameter with a magnet no larger than my pinky fingernail.

I would have been better off buying 15 pairs of dollar store headphones.

I can't even give them away because they've been bent specifically to fit my head only. So at this point I'm going to try and attach some KSC75s to the headband, hoping they don't fall apart in the process. So the LP3 is a $15 headband. Thanks KZ.

Anyone who is looking forward to the new LP bluetooth (LP4 I believe), think very carefully. I have no beef with KZ - they make a great in-ear and I own about 25 of them. But they should definitely stick to in-ears if the LP3 is any indication of the kind of headphones they cook up.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #17,338 of 63,915
Yup. And many users complain about the fitment of the Andromeda due to the sharp corners, which is why I'm not sure why KZ decided to copy it vs a more natural/organic shaped IEM. I mean, is the emphasis on the visual design or the sound (performance). Classic form vs function argument.

As they proved with the HDS2, flattery isn't always the sincerest form of compliment. The HDS2 was a blatant copy of the Yamaha EPH100, but the HDS2 sounded like a steaming pile of poo compared to the Yamaha.

Yeah i kinda felt the sharp corner when I had the andromeda.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #17,340 of 63,915
Does anybody know how the ed12 sounds? They are like $8 on gearbest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back