Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #16,831 of 63,899
Before I place an order for tips and cable, is the star shape tips the best for ZS3?
And do you have to press the mic button all the way down to make it work? I wonder if mine has a factory fault or they are all like that (zs3 grey cable)

The star tips are excellent with the ZS3. I recently swapped over to the large size stars from UE mediums. It's a nice match.

The button should depress with a firm click and minimal travel. Sounds like yours has a minor problem. But hey, at least it works, lol.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #16,832 of 63,899
Before I place an order for tips and cable, is the star shape tips the best for ZS3?
And do you have to press the mic button all the way down to make it work? I wonder if mine has a factory fault or they are all like that (zs3 grey cable)

I'm still experimenting with tips on the ZS3. The star tips are more comfortable than stock, not as sticky and softer, but I still have fit issues as the bass response in my right ear is blocked unless I push down on the IEM a bit. Doing that small adjustment they sound great.

As for the cable, I have this issue as well unless I'm using a smartphone as a source. This isn't a KZ issue as much as it's a TRRS 3.5mm plug issue. Most amps and dedicated DAPs use TRS connectors so cables with buttons will sometimes get screwy. The silver upgrade cable should fix this.

Edit: I read your mic issue as a TRRS incompatibility, and not as an issue with the button itself. My button feels fine and clicky. No need for a deep press for it to register.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #16,833 of 63,899
I'm still experimenting with tips on the ZS3. The star tips are more comfortable than stock, not as sticky and softer, but I still have fit issues as the bass response in my right ear is blocked unless I push down on the IEM a bit. Doing that small adjustment they sound great.

As for the cable, I have this issue as well unless I'm using a smartphone as a source. This isn't a KZ issue as much as it's a TRRS 3.5mm plug issue. Most amps and dedicated DAPs use TRS connectors so cables with buttons will sometimes get screwy. The silver upgrade cable should fix this.

Edit: I read your mic issue as a TRRS incompatibility, and not as an issue with the button itself. My button feels fine and clicky. No need for a deep press for it to register.

I don't have this problems with the ATES's button, it's much more sensitive. The silver white cable has a mic?

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #16,834 of 63,899
I don't have this problems with the ATES's button, it's much more sensitive. The silver white cable has a mic?

No it does not. Sorry, but I misunderstood your initial post. KZ also sells a stock ZS3 cable on AliExpress. It's around $2 I think.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #16,835 of 63,899
Do you gents know how to eliminate the driver flex on the zs3?

I'm experiencing that a lot when using silicon tips, now I'm currently using the stock kz-ate foam tips on my zs3 but the bass is just not there and the isolation is so-so.

any TIPS? :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #16,836 of 63,899

I'm experiencing that a lot when using silicon tips, now I'm currently using the stock kz-ate foam tips on my zs3 but the bass is just not there and the isolation is so-so.

from what im reading the foams are the only solution. I read it mostly happens with dynamic drivers, which has never happened to me. Maybe try double flange? Maybe you got a bad pair who knows. If not give the ZST a try it has both amature and dynamic drivers.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #16,838 of 63,899

ATR is superior to ATE-S if you prefer tighter bass and more detail. I've got both.

Sure, I'll order a pair and check them out. I have just about everything else KZ has to offer - may as well complete the collection haha

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #16,839 of 63,899
  My experience with foam tip is that once I insert it into my ear, the foam expands and pushes itself out of my ear. Me and foam tip can't get along.

Once you compress the foam tip and insert it into your ear, you have to hold the IEM in place with your finger using slight pressure for a minute on each side. This allows the foam to expand INTO the ear canal, locking it into place and getting an excellent seal. Otherwise, if you don't hold it the foam just expands and pushes OUT of the ear canal.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #16,840 of 63,899
Has anyone summarized this whole thread yet ? The information is all over the place. It's difficult to go through everything. Please share review comparison of all KZ's if available. Thanks.

Best so far for Me
ZST armature and dynamic drivers
ZS3 Bass heavy
ATE needs BI time*
ED9 needs BI time*
ED3 Acme needs BI time*
* They need at least 55 to 85hrs to really shine with pink noise and music.
hope this helps ya.
You can als read doc holliday KZ reviews he goes into more depths:
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-ED3-Cancelling-Enthusiasts-Headphones/dp/B00WHSZQNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490733810&sr=8-1&keywords=Kz+ed3+acme

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #16,841 of 63,899

My ZS3 doesn't exhibit any driver flex whatsoever, neither do my other KZs. The vent on the ZS3 is located on the inner side in the middle depression of the housings. Perhaps something has clogged the holes, a drop of glue during manufacturing (which isn't unheard of)... try inserting a needle, gently and carefully, and maybe clean the vent holes that way (if they are clogged in the first place.)

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #16,842 of 63,899
My ZS3 doesn't exhibit any driver flex whatsoever, neither do my other KZs. The vent on the ZS3 is located on the inner side in the middle depression of the housings. Perhaps something has clogged the holes, a drop of glue during manufacturing (which isn't unheard of)... try inserting a needle, gently and carefully, and maybe clean the vent holes that way (if they are clogged in the first place.)

My ZS3 has no driver flex either, but my ZST had a blocked vent on the right ear piece and had massive, aluminum foil at midnight driver flex. A needle fixed it.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #16,843 of 63,899
  Has anyone summarized this whole thread yet ? The information is all over the place. It's difficult to go through everything. Please share review comparison of all KZ's if available. Thanks.

You should check the links in my signature. Might find some helpful info there.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #16,844 of 63,899
Sure, I'll order a pair and check them out. I have just about everything else KZ has to offer - may as well complete the collection haha

you'll regret it. Hahaha joyroom jre 109 or Awei ES-900i.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #16,845 of 63,899
Best so far for Me
ZST armature and dynamic drivers
ZS3 Bass heavy
ATE needs BI time*
ED9 needs BI time*
ED3 Acme needs BI time*
* They need at least 55 to 85hrs to really shine with pink noise and music.
hope this helps ya.
You can als read doc holliday KZ reviews he goes into more depths:
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-ED3-Cancelling-Enthusiasts-Headphones/dp/B00WHSZQNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490733810&sr=8-1&keywords=Kz+ed3+acme

I disagree that it's a simple burn-in with the ED9s. You just have to get used to the anemic hollow sound and the shrill trwble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back