Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 28, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #16,846 of 63,806
I disagree that it's a simple burn-in with the ED9s. You just have to get used to the anemic hollow sound and the shrill trwble

Sounds like something really fun to be getting used to
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #16,848 of 63,806
  Has anyone summarized this whole thread yet ? The information is all over the place. It's difficult to go through everything. Please share review comparison of all KZ's if available. Thanks.

Why is that a difficult proposition?

1. Everyone's tastes are different. They may listen exclusively to classical music, and you like dubstep (which are greatly affected by an IEMs tuning profile). Without example music tracks being listed, how do you know you are going to like your dubstep on their recommended IEM?

2. KZ constantly revises their products without creating a new model designation. 4 different revisions to the ATE, 2 different revisions on the ZST, 2 revisions on the ZS1, etc. So if someone says "I like the ATE" - which ATE did the person have? I say "The ZS1 is recommended for bassheads", but someone else says "No, the ZS1 is not particular bass-heavy". Well, how is anyone going to know that my ZS1 is the original version with the brass ring vs the other person's later ZS1 without the ring? BOTH of us could ave valid opinions, but without those specific details you need to take both of our opinions for a grain of salt.

3. Many people swap tips or mod their IEMs, both of which change the sound. And KZ even includes ways to change the sound, like including foam AND silicone tips with an IEM, offering factory replacement silver plated cables, or the tuning nozzles included with the ED9. So if someone says "The ED9 has lots of bass", but they don't say which nozzles they used, it can cause confusion. Same with the ZST - which cables did they use? How many hours are on the IEM - if it's OOB (out of box) or has 500 hours of play time (or dedicated burn-in), the sound will often be different.

4. Different people hear things differently. Some people are more sensitive to treble or sibilance than others (depending on age, personal tastes, music genre, etc). So if someone says "The ED9 is too bright", well it might be too bright for them but not for you. So you have to take that for a grain of salt too.

5. KZ often has hit or miss QC issues, many of affect the sound. BA drivers that aren't connected, crushed internal sound tubes, drivers wired out of phase, plugged up vent holes - stuff like that. Heck, look at how easily the cables on the ZST and ZS3 can be plugged in backwards without people ever even realizing - now they're out of phase and sound different than if they were plugged in correctly.

6. Many of the IEMs are source dependent, due to impedance rating and amplification. The ZST, for example, sounds quite different on certain models of cell phones vs a high quality DAP with headphone amp. Likewise, if someone says "the ATR has good micro details", it won't do you any good if they were they listening to FLAC or DSD files and you listen to 128kbps MP3 files.

7. Most people don't own all of the models, or are constantly ordering new models. For example, I don't yet have the ATR (on order), ED11, ED12, ATE rev 2, ZS1 rev 2, ED3 Acme, and a few others. So if I say "Here's now I would rate them from best to worst - blah blah", then my list shifts all around once I receive more models.

8. Any 'master summary' would just get buried when the page count increases by 300 pages from where it is currently.

IMO the BEST way to rate them is try them yourself. I mean, the average price is $4-$7. For a measly $20-$30 you can buy 5-6 pairs. Try them yourself and see which ones you prefer. Give the ones you don't like as gifts or keep them as backups. Keep a set at work or in your gym bag so you don't have to lug around your primary pair and risk damage. Use the pair best suited for classical to listen to classical and the pair best suited for rap to listen to rap. Use the pair that sounds best for gaming or watching movies for that purpose. Play around with them to learn how tip rolling or modding them affects the sound. See if burning them in (or brain burn-in) makes them sound any better. That's part of the fun of being a headphone enthusiast.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #16,849 of 63,806
Get over it man, she's moved on with her life you need to do the same. :tongue_smile:

who ya talking to yes sir?

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #16,850 of 63,806
I disagree that it's a simple burn-in with the ED9s. You just have to get used to the anemic hollow sound and the shrill trwble

It always seems that the ED9 is one of the more polarizing IEMs - lots of people love 'em & swear by them, others despise them.

They have modding options (beyond simply swapping the nozzles) to change the sound. Something to think about for those that have them gathering dust in a drawer somewhere...

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #16,852 of 63,806
Mar 28, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #16,854 of 63,806
I thought joshing was a UK term, so I was surprised that you used it. Google'd it and it turns out it's not UK in origin, it's an Americanism. :eek:  Every day's a school day.

/

Indeed it is. On another topic these ED3 acme are Really NICE NOW. Opened up good.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #16,855 of 63,806
Why is that a difficult proposition?

1. Everyone's tastes are different. They may listen exclusively to classical music, and you like dubstep (which are greatly affected by an IEMs tuning profile). Without example music tracks being listed, how do you know you are going to like your dubstep on their recommended IEM?

2. KZ constantly revises their products without creating a new model designation. 4 different revisions to the ATE, 2 different revisions on the ZST, 2 revisions on the ZS1, etc. So if someone says "I like the ATE" - which ATE did the person have? I say "The ZS1 is recommended for bassheads", but someone else says "No, the ZS1 is not particular bass-heavy". Well, how is anyone going to know that my ZS1 is the original version with the brass ring vs the other person's later ZS1 without the ring? BOTH of us could ave valid opinions, but without those specific details you need to take both of our opinions for a grain of salt.

3. Many people swap tips or mod their IEMs, both of which change the sound. And KZ even includes ways to change the sound, like including foam AND silicone tips with an IEM, offering factory replacement silver plated cables, or the tuning nozzles included with the ED9. So if someone says "The ED9 has lots of bass", but they don't say which nozzles they used, it can cause confusion. Same with the ZST - which cables did they use? How many hours are on the IEM - if it's OOB (out of box) or has 500 hours of play time (or dedicated burn-in), the sound will often be different.

4. Different people hear things differently. Some people are more sensitive to treble or sibilance than others (depending on age, personal tastes, music genre, etc). So if someone says "The ED9 is too bright", well it might be too bright for them but not for you. So you have to take that for a grain of salt too.

5. KZ often has hit or miss QC issues, many of affect the sound. BA drivers that aren't connected, crushed internal sound tubes, drivers wired out of phase, plugged up vent holes - stuff like that. Heck, look at how easily the cables on the ZST and ZS3 can be plugged in backwards without people ever even realizing - now they're out of phase and sound different than if they were plugged in correctly.

6. Many of the IEMs are source dependent, due to impedance rating and amplification. The ZST, for example, sounds quite different on certain models of cell phones vs a high quality DAP with headphone amp. Likewise, if someone says "the ATR has good micro details", it won't do you any good if they were they listening to FLAC or DSD files and you listen to 128kbps MP3 files.

7. Most people don't own all of the models, or are constantly ordering new models. For example, I don't yet have the ATR (on order), ED11, ED12, ATE rev 2, ZS1 rev 2, ED3 Acme, and a few others. So if I say "Here's now I would rate them from best to worst - blah blah", then my list shifts all around once I receive more models.

8. Any 'master summary' would just get buried when the page count increases by 300 pages from where it is currently.

IMO the BEST way to rate them is try them yourself. I mean, the average price is $4-$7. For a measly $20-$30 you can buy 5-6 pairs. Try them yourself and see which ones you prefer. Give the ones you don't like as gifts or keep them as backups. Keep a set at work or in your gym bag so you don't have to lug around your primary pair and risk damage. Use the pair best suited for classical to listen to classical and the pair best suited for rap to listen to rap. Use the pair that sounds best for gaming or watching movies for that purpose. Play around with them to learn how tip rolling or modding them affects the sound. See if burning them in (or brain burn-in) makes them sound any better. That's part of the fun of being a headphone enthusiast.

SO your top 5 KZ today?

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #16,856 of 63,806
SO your top 5 KZ today?

I divide what I listen to into 2 categories, and have preferred IEMs for each:

1. EDM, trance, techno, rave, dubstep, DnB, industrial, and house. For this I prefer a generally signature with an emphasis on bass, treble that's not overly bright/shrill.
2. 'Rock' (guitar-heavy w/vocals) - punk, new wave, dark wave, classic rock, heavy/speed/death metal. For this I typically prefer a neutral signature, detailed, wide soundstage, and good instrument separation.

I have other non-KZ IEMs that I really like (MEMT X5, Rock Zircon, Xiaomi HD Pro), but if I had to pick my top KZ-only for each category, it would be as follows:

1. ZS1 (1st gen ie brass ring), ZS3 (w/silver upgrade cable), ATE (2nd gen w/open grille mod), EDSE (w/open grille mod), and W1 Pro (port mods). I use KZ Starline tips on all in this category.
2. ANV (2nd gen w/foam nozzle mod), ZN1 Mini, ZST (2nd gen w/silver upgrade cable), HDS1, and ED9 (gold nozzle, with fiberfill & grille mods). I use memory foam or wide-bore KZ Turbo tips in this category.

Source is Xduoo X3 with FiiO E12A Mont Blanc headphone amp. Files are all mostly FLAC, with some 320k MP3.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #16,857 of 63,806
from what im reading the foams are the only solution. I read it mostly happens with dynamic drivers, which has never happened to me. Maybe try double flange? Maybe you got a bad pair who knows. If not give the ZST a try it has both amature and dynamic drivers.

My ZS3 doesn't exhibit any driver flex whatsoever, neither do my other KZs. The vent on the ZS3 is located on the inner side in the middle depression of the housings. Perhaps something has clogged the holes, a drop of glue during manufacturing (which isn't unheard of)... try inserting a needle, gently and carefully, and maybe clean the vent holes that way (if they are clogged in the first place.)

Thanks for the feedback and yes I do have a zst and I like it's fit and the fact that it doesn't have driver flex but I like the zs3's sq more so yeah. I'll just have to make do with foam tips coz even double flange still has driver flex.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #16,858 of 63,806
  Thanks for the feedback and yes I do have a zst and I like it's fit and the fact that it doesn't have driver flex but I like the zs3's sq more so yeah. I'll just have to make do with foam tips coz even double flange still has driver flex.

Have you thought about contacting the seller where you got the ZS3 from? Like VShaft, my ZS3 has zero driver flex. And driver flex does reduce the life of the IEM, so if you just recently received them it's worth a shot to see if you can get them replaced (especially if you got them from a reputable seller like Gearbest).

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #16,859 of 63,806

Did you actually try "poking" in and around the ventholes with a needle to see if something was indeed clogging it.? It's a cost-free and time-saving solution, before making any refund/replacement requests.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #16,860 of 63,806
Finally I think I will just order KZ star tips and W1 Pro if I find a seller who sells both on AE.
YEs I checked Gearbest but it's always more expensive, dunno why but it's always 30% more for us in Lebanon than for other people in this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back