Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #16,516 of 63,966
The whole point of these headphones is that they cost 8$. If you buy a 5$ case it defies the purpose.
I used an Altoids can, which is good enough for me

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A good $5 case can be a solid return on investment if it saves you from having to buy another earphone, or two, etc. But, if you can make one for free that does the same thing? Why the heck not!? :D

I chose to spend 86 cents each on a bunch of these, and will probably be getting more.

I was expecting them to be decent, at least as good as those cheapo faux carbon fibre cases you see everywhere (like in the above pic with the Clipper), but they're much better than those. They are extremely spacious yet compact and pocket-able. They're very stiff so they don't crush easily. The KZ logo is also a little metal plate, not plastic or rubber as I was expecting. The zipper feels like a weak point, but it's identical to the one used on the other case and I have a ton of those too, none of which have failed. For under a buck, it's awesome!

I bought mine here for anyone that's interested. No affiliation. Haven't bought from them before, at least that I can recall. Shipping took a million years to get to Canada, as always, haha.

*Edit: The case is large enough to fit a couple pair of earphones, or even a small music player+earphone and spare tips. It's not shown in the above picture, but I use one case to carry the FLC8s and it's filter holder along with a Shanling M1.*

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #16,517 of 63,966
The whole point of these headphones is that they cost 8$. If you buy a 5$ case it defies the purpose.
I used an Altoids can, which is good enough for me

A good $5 case can be a solid return on investment if it saves you from having to buy another earphone, or two, etc. But, if you can make one for free that does the same thing? Why the heck not!? :D

I chose to spend 86 cents each on a bunch of these, and will probably be getting more.

I was expecting them to be decent, at least as good as those cheapo faux carbon fibre cases you see everywhere (like in the above pic with the Clipper), but they're much better than those. They are extremely spacious yet compact and pocket-able. They're very stiff so they don't crush easily. The KZ logo is also a little metal plate, not plastic or rubber as I was expecting. The zipper feels like a weak point, but it's identical to the one used on the other case and I have a ton of those too, none of which have failed. For under a buck, it's awesome!

I bought mine here for anyone that's interested. No affiliation. Haven't bought from them before, at least that I can recall. Shipping took a million years to get to Canada, as always, haha.

*Edit: The case is large enough to fit a couple pair of earphones, or even a small music player+earphone and spare tips. It's not shown in the above picture, but I use one case to carry the FLC8s and it's filter holder along with a Shanling M1.*

I thought about buying one of those, but then I realised they would come in 3weeks, so I looked around the house...Ate all the mints and voila I have a case!
I like those ones, I might buy one in the future since waiting is not an issue anymore :)

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #16,519 of 63,966
Link to case is broken?

My KZ case doesn't have a fancy badge and costed a full $0.20 more! What a ripoff lmao /s

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #16,521 of 63,966

1. Probably not. I personally find the ZS3 better in all aspects. The ATE has a very non-fatiguing sound, though. I didn't feel the bass done wrong on the ATE, but the mids and highs do sound somewhat recessed compared to it. At least if felt so in my ears. I love my ATE, but the ZS3 has replaced it almost completely.

2. Don't know. Don't have that model.

3. As to the best budget KZ, it's generally the ZST vs ZS3. Each has got their favorite, though.

However, if you want most balanced and detailed sound at around $20, take a look at Urbanfun HIFI. It may be more to your liking, as people have reported on its exceptional clarity and balance in tuning.

The KZ ATR is better than ATE, ZS3 and ZST. It's got better balance, although still has that big bass that most KZ sets have.

The Urbanfun is technically the better set but it is quite sterile and lacks the musicality (and general fun) of most KZs.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #16,522 of 63,966
Imo ZS3 is far better than the ATR. I guess it depends a lot on the fit since the ATR's sound varies a lot depending how it gets inserted in my ear.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #16,523 of 63,966
And please don't say that Urbanfun lacks musicality or hasten to add TO YOUR EARS, I got them today and to my ears they are a fantastic pair of earphones with full sound with a good resolution, balanced signature, nice sub bass and general clarity, I love ZST but it looks like Urbanfun will trump them. :smiley:

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #16,524 of 63,966
And please don't say that Urbanfun lacks musicality or hasten to add TO YOUR EARS, I got them today and to my ears they are a fantastic pair of earphones with full sound with a good resolution, balanced signature, nice sub bass and general clarity, I love ZST but it looks like Urbanfun will trump them. :smiley:

It's true we all hear them differently, for my ears the Urb's can't touch the ZST's
bigsmile_face.gif
I actually still prefer my 4 year old chromed brass ED9's to the Urban's but if it sounds good to you then that's all that counts
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #16,525 of 63,966
Indeed, when my ears are happy then nothing else matters :wink:

However, apart from our ears, I guess it all about our sources. For example,I love ZST, they pair up well with my phone but with my dap it is not the same. Well, there is also a matter of tips...and other factors...geez it is so flipping subjective! :grin:

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #16,526 of 63,966
I think I'm going to get the Gemtune Urbanfun then, it seems like it fits my tastes according to you guys. If anyone has better recommendations, let me make my tastes very clear:

1. Overall faithfulness to how sound works IRL, "realistic", to experience sound as it is meant to be
2. Balance, having all aspects of sound sound good, not just bass or treble (which doesn't mean it can't have good bass and treble)
3. Overall Detail
4. High, non fatiguing volume with lowest distortion as possible

All of that, or at least as close as possible, in a 20$ budget. The reason for that is that I can't afford anything more expensive, things are a lot more expensive here in Brazil. Like seriously. Some car taxes that would be 95 dollars are 25000 of our currency here (and our currency is only a third of a dollar).

I swear to god the people of the future are going to look back at how audio reproduction and music making is today, and laugh at how much harder it was to experience and create sound. It's gonna be heaven when science decodes the brain and we start sending data to it. Hearing recorded audio directly from brain and making songs just by thinking them is going to be soooo fricking cool. Let's just hope we live long enough to see it.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #16,528 of 63,966
IronOverheat I guess Urbanfun should tick all your boxes. They are balanced, detailed with nice lows when a song requires it. However, the stock tips are not good and I recommend these ones:

http://s.aliexpress.com/NVj6zQb6

Interesting remark about the future of the audio world. How will it look like in 50 years? Will earphones survive? I will leave now to listen to some music reflecting on it! :grin:

P.s. I feel you man, not that many people around the world (count me in:smiley:) can afford to buy $$$ audio gear.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #16,529 of 63,966
Just received confirmation of some new arrivals at my delivery address: 

silver replacement cable for ZS3, another ZS3 as back up, and my first ZST  :)   (and there was this mini sleep IEM that just looked too interesting :) , not a KZ though)

Now .. I just have to wait until I, myself, get to my delivery address  ...  in June ... 

That being said, anything new / upcoming in the KZ world I should be aware of?  Cheers 

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #16,530 of 63,966
  I swear to god the people of the future are going to look back at how audio reproduction and music making is today, and laugh at how much harder it was to experience and create sound. It's gonna be heaven when science decodes the brain and we start sending data to it. Hearing recorded audio directly from brain and making songs just by thinking them is going to be soooo fricking cool. Let's just hope we live long enough to see it.

Hmmm, when audio's concerned, it's just going to be the same like today is with headphones, only with those brain transmitters. Nobody's gonna want to hear music the same way, transmitted to one's brain. So, audio companies are gonna come up with more balanced brain transmitters for those preferring an analytical sound, bass-oriented brain transmitters for bass-junkies, darker brain transmitters, brighter brain transmitters.

Sennheiser MindWaveHD600 for Mister Audiophile. Grado SR80 Mind Edition. Koss is probably just gonna have the same ol' Porta Pro
biggrin.gif
. MindBeats by Dre for the cool kids. Monster Inside Turbine for the cool kids with slightly less money. Skullcandy XCiteUrMind X-2000 edition in all colors for those who shop at Wallmart. Bose ThinkMusic with QuietMind technology. I'm confident Focal will also put out a MindUtopia model that'll cost you 2 kidneys and a leg.

Then the "cable" companies will come out with improved "antennas", better silver interconnects, balanced brain-wave emitters so you don't accidentally transmit any noise with your music. You will have burn-in brain waves, and I suppose brain burn-in will get another meaning.

Of course, old-school headphones will still exist, only pricier than ever. Because the brain transmitters will sound artificial, and cold, even though they're supposed to to be superior. But, headphones will just have that warmth, and soul, you know?
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back