Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 30, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #15,812 of 63,835
  Did KZ improve their ZST? At release people didnt like them and now they are a good buy?

I had one of the first batch and it was a very bassy earphone but it was a lot of fun but not brilliant.

They've tamed the bass and made the ZST into a very good budget earphone, they are not the 2nd coming as some would have believe.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #15,813 of 63,835

I had one of the first batch and it was a very bassy earphone but it was a lot of fun but not brilliant.

They've tamed the bass and made the ZST into a very good budget earphone, they are not the 2nd coming as some would have believe.

Ah ok i was out for a while since i enjoyed earbuds alot, but if there are some cheap gems out there i would order some :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #15,814 of 63,835

Feel the same about this one
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Hey mate, was that silver cable better than the stock cable? If so, what was the improved aspects? Thanks mate.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #15,815 of 63,835
  Just received my ZS3 and ZST a couple of days ago.  The ZS3 is warm and smooth, but lacks some detail and clarity.  The bass is not overpowering, but there is a touch of bloat to it.  The ZST on the other hand, are bright, detailed and resolve pretty well.  Bass is tight, fast and articulate, but lacks some oomph.  If I could toss the ZS3 and ZST into a magic box and come out with a pair of IEMs that had the best of each, I'd have a pretty damn fantastic pair of IEMs for $20 (what I paid for both combined).  As it is, I tend to lean more toward the ZST for its crispness and clarity over the ZS3.

+1. the zs3 does trump the zst in midrange quality and overall oomph--combine the best qualities of the two and you'd be set. i do like them both as is, however.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #15,816 of 63,835
In the last few weeks I've listened to a huge number (+40) of sub £30 IEMs. Based on that comparative experience, I would say the ZST has: -

* Fairly intense treble that lends itself to sibilance if it's already present on a track. Not unusual for a hybrid though. If you are treble sensitive and not willing to spend the time adjusting, you should look elsewhere.

* Sub-bass and bass are v.slightly enhanced

* Mids are are a touch forward

* Clarity and detail retrieval are excellent

* Soundstage is v.slightly above average, nothing special. Imaging is excellent within that stage though.

The sound is natural and there are no elements that strike me as being out of place. For their price there are very few earphones that come close to the ZST.

Thank you so much!!! This is a well written review. Now I know that I won't like the ZSTs (too bright, I want smooth & mellow).

I just have a hard time imagining noticeably better soundstage than on the ED9s and ED7s. Well, the Marshall Major is slightly better.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #15,817 of 63,835
  Now I know that I won't like the ZSTs (too bright, I want smooth & mellow).

I just have a hard time imagining noticeably better soundstage than on the ED9s...

From KZ family, I recommend to try ATE 5th gen - imo better soundstage and imaging than ED9 but lot depends on source gear being used.
ATR is more refined and detailed (more closer and "in your face" imaging) but soundstage is not much over average.
Again I have to point one IEM outside of KZ family - Magaosi BK50, for such sound signature preference.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #15,818 of 63,835
Did KZ update the ZS1 without anyone noticing?
Just got mine in the mail and they look noticeably different from any of the pictures online

Here's pictures of version 1 (brass nozzle, crossover, speaker w/ grill, memory wire)
http://mysku.ru/blog/aliexpress/36920.html

Here's pictures of version 2 (mesh nozzle, no crossover, speaker w/ grill, memory wire)
http://sopp06.blogspot.com/2016/06/kz-zs1.html

Here's mine (version 3?) :

- Neither speaker has the ATE-esque grill, instead both have a green ring.
- Nozzle is mesh like version 2

And the strangest part is that the memory wire is completely different:
- There's no cable weight
- You can't straighten it out or bend it into a specific shape (it retains the ear-hook shape seen in photo)

What's going on?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #15,819 of 63,835
  Did KZ update the ZS1 without anyone noticing?
Just got mine in the mail and they look noticeably different from any of the pictures online

Here's pictures of version 1 (brass nozzle, crossover, speaker w/ grill, memory wire)
http://mysku.ru/blog/aliexpress/36920.html

Here's pictures of version 2 (mesh nozzle, no crossover, speaker w/ grill, memory wire)
http://sopp06.blogspot.com/2016/06/kz-zs1.html

Here's mine (version 3?) :

- Neither speaker has the ATE-esque grill, instead both have a green ring.
- Nozzle is mesh like version 2

And the strangest part is that the memory wire is completely different:
- There's no cable weight
- You can't straighten it out or bend it into a specific shape (it retains the ear-hook shape seen in photo)

What's going on?
confused_face(1).gif

Looks like another revision to me! Any chance you can post or pm a link to where you ordered them?

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #15,820 of 63,835
Jan 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #15,821 of 63,835
Jan 30, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #15,822 of 63,835
  Hey mate, was that silver cable better than the stock cable? If so, what was the improved aspects? Thanks mate.

To me the answer is yes but then you have as many if not more who believe there is no difference in the sound of the stock copper and the made for silver! As you know this hobby is so subjective the differences could be compared count wise to Carter's Pills
rolleyes.gif
I have been an enthusiast of great sounding gear and playback for 50 years now (got my first system from an older brother when I was 10) and unlike so many others here I prefer the high end to the low end so naturally I prefer silver to copper even in cables like my tone arm cables but it can get really tricky when you have multiple cables on multiple pieces of gear.

For me I can actually hear a more open and bright presentation with the silver but more than just bright I like to call it crisp, now I will say with a setup like this you can border on sibilant quite often with poorly recorded material but as much as I like some songs if they present the harsh shrill highs in the recording I just avoid loading it up or try to find an alternate version. So I guess my answer to your question is yes. As a matter a fact I got the ZS3 cable in silver too and I'm afraid some might not think the ZS3 is warm and laid back with the silver
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #15,823 of 63,835
To me the answer is yes but then you have as many if not more who believe there is no difference in the sound of the stock copper and the made for silver! As you know this hobby is so subjective the differences could be compared count wise to Carter's Pills:rolleyes: I have been an enthusiast of great sounding gear and playback for 50 years now (got my first system from an older brother when I was 10) and unlike so many others here I prefer the high end to the low end so naturally I prefer silver to copper even in cables like my tone arm cables but it can get really tricky when you have multiple cables on multiple pieces of gear.

For me I can actually hear a more open and bright presentation with the silver but more than just bright I like to call it crisp, now I will say with a setup like this you can border on sibilant quite often with poorly recorded material but as much as I like some songs if they present the harsh shrill highs in the recording I just avoid loading it up or try to find an alternate version. So I guess my answer to your question is yes. As a matter a fact I got the ZS3 cable in silver too and I'm afraid some might not think the ZS3 is warm and laid back with the silver:blink:

Okay then, silver it is.
Anyway, i saw that u have Topping NX1, do have any problem with it? I had the nx1 and now nx1a, i sold my nx1 because i got a bad channel imbalance even at 50% vol. And after 2 months having the nx1a, i felt the imbalance again, but only with less than 32ohm iem. Do you happen to feel that too?

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #15,824 of 63,835
Okay then, silver it is.
Anyway, i saw that u have Topping NX1, do have any problem with it? I had the nx1 and now nx1a, i sold my nx1 because i got a bad channel imbalance even at 50% vol. And after 2 months having the nx1a, i felt the imbalance again, but only with less than 32ohm iem. Do you happen to feel that too?

Not experienced that with my NX1 but then again I have to admit it does not get much play time since I got an NX2. I used it quite a bit the first year I had it and never had any problems, I was never expecting a lot out of a $26 amp but Topping IMO makes a nice budget product. NX2 is not quite a powerful as the NX1 but is (once again IMO) cleaner sounding and does not have any EMI/RFI issues.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #15,825 of 63,835
I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but none of the eartips that came with my colorful ZSTs created a good seal. So, I ordered auvio large silicon tips ($4) and patiently waiting for them so that I can start listening to the ZSTs. I might order the large sprial dots too soon. So, if anyone is not happy with the ZSTs, check to see if the included eartips correctly fit your ear canals or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back