Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #15,781 of 63,834
Too many pages to check the difference between ZS3 and ZST. I'm more into smoothness, detailed sound, instrument separation/imaging, great soundstage and controlled tight bass. I like it to sound like I'm in a big theater. Which will be the better choice? Can someone give the difference about how they sound?

It looks like you just described the KZ ED7s. It's smooth and good for imaging. The bass is decent as well. Really, I have lots of good things to say about the ED7s. They don't have harshness in the treble and that's a miracle for the price. They're also the cheapest of the KZ lineup, go figure. I mean seriously, I saw them go for $7.

That said, the Marshall Major is definitely an upgrade for $50. You get deeper bass and even smoother treble, and more soundstage. Get these if you can afford them.

Are you looking for over-ear earbuds specifically?

Oh yeah, avoid the ED9s like the plague. There's nothing smooth about them'

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #15,782 of 63,834

Sounds like you'll want the ZST Colorfuls. Giant soundstage, great stereo separation, very quick & detailed, tight controlled bass. A little more high focused, but it just brings out the fine details in absolutely everything. Instrument separation is killer and you can focus on any part of the song you want. Drum splashes are gorgeous and detailed. Snares are super fun. Only bad thing about the ZST's is you can tell what was recorded poorly, and it will make a point to let you know it was recorded poorly. Like "pssst, ZST's here, they didn't really care about the recording of this song =\". The ZST's make me smile as I learn new things about a song I've already heard before.

I don't have the ZS3's, so sorry I can't comment on those.

So is this essentially an upgrade to the ZS3?

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #15,783 of 63,834
Jan 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #15,784 of 63,834
Whew, 50 hours of burn in on my ZST's and they are pretty phenomenal for the price! Great soundstage and just the right thump for the bass for certain songs! I found it easy to drive although the bass can feel light at low volumes. Clear mids and no signs of sibilance. 

Something to note is that i'm on the silver cable. Never bothered to use the original cable. The silver cable could use with a chin slider too though and i prefer the cable without the memory part!

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #15,785 of 63,834
When you walk into a smelly house you notice the smell, after an hour your brain has compensated for it and you don't smell it as strongly. That's why people who have dogs don't notice the smell in their own home.

I think the same applies to sounds, although to a lesser degree. I was reading Brooko's review guide he refers to it in that. I've noticed that if I listen to darker headphones for an extended period, when I come back to a bright pair they seem harsh initially.

The brain is probably designed to pick up on sudden changes rather than subtle ones over time, it's probably a survival thing.
It's called habituation in psychology :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #15,786 of 63,834
They are pricey but worth it. I have big ears and I use the large ones. Proper seal .I have never got on with foam tips, they seem to reduce bass and soundstage but many headfi'ers swear by them
I have the same observation about them foamies too...

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #15,788 of 63,834
  Whew, 50 hours of burn in on my ZST's and they are pretty phenomenal for the price! Great soundstage and just the right thump for the bass for certain songs! I found it easy to drive although the bass can feel light at low volumes. Clear mids and no signs of sibilance. 

Something to note is that i'm on the silver cable. Never bothered to use the original cable. The silver cable could use with a chin slider too though and i prefer the cable without the memory part!

What source gear?
What  is file quality/format?
What kind of music?
What tips?

Did You measure stock cable impedance and silver cable impedance?

I`ve found some faults in ZST sound... OOTB and after they have "burned" for about 20h (without listening meanwhile). But will let them "burn" some more and share impressions later (without listening and "brain-burn-in").

Another thing - can anyone recommend good low impedance 2-pin cable from AE for ZST? I`m starting to like 2-pin connection, feels more secure and better contact than mmcx.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #15,789 of 63,834
  Not always. The first IEM that comes into my mind is Magaosi BK50, like I already recommended to asker. Big "holographic" soundstage, good layering, great imaging, smooth highs and overall sound but details come out very well almost in every frequency region. Only bass area sounds littlebit "soft" and has less details/crispiness but still has nice quality and presence. 

i actually agree 100% here with coil--even as i've stepped up to triple drivers like the pmv and moni i can't say the bk50 is outclassed--it's still my go-to rec <$50. the bk35, which gets less attention, is comparable.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #15,790 of 63,834
Here are my choices for my next purchase, I'll be buying two IEM's. It will be KZ ZS3 vs Soundmagic e50 and KZ ZST vs Soundmagic e80. So if someone here had tried all of these IEM or have knowledge or background about them I'd like to hear your thoughts. Again it's either ZS3 or the e50 for bass and soundstage. On the other hand it's the ZST vs e80 for clarity, imaging, smoothness and soundstage

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #15,792 of 63,834
  Here are my choices for my next purchase, I'll be buying two IEM's. It will be KZ ZS3 vs Soundmagic e50 and KZ ZST vs Soundmagic e80. So if someone here had tried all of these IEM or have knowledge or background about them I'd like to hear your thoughts. Again it's either ZS3 or the e50 for bass and soundstage. On the other hand it's the ZST vs e80 for clarity, imaging, smoothness and soundstage

So, I have not heard any but the ZSTs and I have to say, I'm Blown away.
 They fit great, I like their look, Good, punchy bass, but clear highs, quite "open" sounding for IEMs

I'd say get them, and if you don't like them, it's not a huge loss, even for a broke student like me, $20 is not the end of the world :p

Edit:
Forgot to mention, My Kz ED3's are coming in the mail some time soon, Ill update this when i get a chance to listen to them!

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #15,794 of 63,834
I'd highly suggest taking a look at PenonAudio! Shipped my ZSTs to Canada within 2 weeks, and only payed 19.90 USD! They package them extremely well, multiple layers of foam and packing tape in a bubble envelope. And they even shipped with a little cable tie velcro thing with their name on it!

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #15,795 of 63,834
For KZ ZST and ZS3 at gearbest you will pay about 21usd, which less than for e50 or e80. Thus you will have 2 pairs with 2 sound signatures.

I'm really not worried about the price. More into the best sound I can get out of the KZ's vs Soundmagic. The e50 and e80 are also 2 diff sound signature as with the ZST and ZS3. So again it's ZS3 vs e50 for v-sound signature with bass and soundstage. And the ZST vs e80 for the neutral signature with sound clarity, detail, imaging and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back