Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #15,514 of 64,010
Really, I didn't know that. I recently placed 3 orders with them in the last month, fast shipping. Had one issue and they corrected it immediately. Is there a list of banned sellers?

Not that I know of. Would definitely be a good sticky for the mods to post at the top of relevant forum sections though. An explanation as to why was posted in the original Chinese/Asian Brand thread before it was re-booted. Can't recall the page though.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #15,516 of 64,010
  I got the youths in a week ago.  They have a much thinner sound.  A far cry from the Piston 3s I have.

I think the sound quality has gone down on the Piston lineup ever since the discontinuation of the Piston 3.  I had a Piston Colorful that sounded almost as good as the Piston 3.  I ordered another set on november 2016 and it's pretty bad compared to my old one.  All of my Pistons are working so I can easily do a/b testing.  The Piston Youth I have is slightly better, but Piston 3 has a more refined sound with less harshness in the highs and a bassier profile.

I can't recommend the Pistons anymore due to this variance in sound quality.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Meanwhile the KZ stuff is what goes with me nowadays.

Wow, really? That sucks. Looks like I'm either going to get the QKZ DM8 or the Piston 3, but definitely leaning towards the QKZ right now. According to another review on Head-fi a while ago the Piston Youths and Piston 3s sounded the same, so either they've changed it or Xiaomi's QC is horrible.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #15,518 of 64,010
ZS3 is like a better ATR for me. So good. Except for the memory wire if you stuff your IEMs in your pocket.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #15,519 of 64,010
11 days until febuary.

8 days until chinese new year.

I'm hoping we get a bunch of official pictures of the ZSR / ZSR Pro soon.

Hype train is steaming ahead in full force.
They're already closed for CNY holiday since 2 days ago and only after 4th February will we be seeing any updates on the ZSR when they get back to work. It's been a long long wait, i hope it will be worthy for the price tag of 599yuan as mentioned before.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #15,520 of 64,010
Funny, as I received my vivo today and still waiting on ZST. Don't know how the ZST is but thought they were very different regarding sound signature. But could be wrong as well.

Agree on the connector bit and the strain relief, those really could have been better.

The Vivo is quite bright and the bass is decent, but I think the bass should be a little bit deeper. The bass isn't really thumbing but is there, let's say recessed. Where I can really hear the bass-guitar strings being pulled with the senzer, it's harder with the vivo. Vocals are very clean indeed. Both male and female, bit of lifelike-effect.

I can say vivo is very detailed on par with the Senzer H1. These are both way above the ATR with the senzer being a bit of a upgrade of the ATR, similiar sound but a bit more thumbing bass and way better clarity over the spectrum. So if you like the ATR, you should check those out. The only thing I dislike is the straight connector. It has better strain relief than the vivo though.

The vivo compared to the ATR make the ATR very dark and the vivo very bright. But has to say, clarity and detail on vivo is very good.
They are very comfortable to wear too.

Senzer: Excells/emphasis in Lower range with great clarity
Vivo: Excells/emphasis in higher range with great clarity
ATR: Good lower range, but missing detail compared against these above. For the money, never had better sounding iems. But spending twice as much will give you a lot of SQ.

Question I would like to ask:
How does the HLSX808 sound?

The 808 is amazing. They're thin in the mids but the bass is solid and the amount of detail you get with them is just crazy.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #15,521 of 64,010
Question I would like to ask:
How does the HLSX808 sound?

808 is V-shaped with slightly recessed or neutral  at most mids and needs some modding and using right type ultra-wide bore tips to sound great.
If modded - 808 sounds amazeballs for EDM, atmospheric ambient electronic music and such.
ZS3 is like a better ATR for me. So good. Except for the memory wire if you stuff your IEMs in your pocket.

I guess I got to get ZS3 too after I get my ZST(c).

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #15,522 of 64,010

I can't recommend the Pistons anymore due to this variance in sound quality.  You never know what you're gonna get.

So many fake Pistons out there. 1More do a version nothing special or ground breaking but fairly solid performer

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #15,523 of 64,010

I got the youths in a week ago.  They have a much thinner sound.  A far cry from the Piston 3s I have.

I think the sound quality has gone down on the Piston lineup ever since the discontinuation of the Piston 3.  I had a Piston Colorful that sounded almost as good as the Piston 3.  I ordered another set on november 2016 and it's pretty bad compared to my old one.  All of my Pistons are working so I can easily do a/b testing.  The Piston Youth I have is slightly better, but Piston 3 has a more refined sound with less harshness in the highs and a bassier profile.

Wow, really? That sucks. Looks like I'm either going to get the QKZ DM8 or the Piston 3, but definitely leaning towards the QKZ right now. According to another review on Head-fi a while ago the Piston Youths and Piston 3s sounded the same, so either they've changed it or Xiaomi's QC is horrible.

A couple of years ago when i tested P3 against Piston youth they sounded the same to me. But i only did a quick test, and i have no idea if newer pistons sound the same as my pairs.
I think i prefer my various KZ nowadays though. At least thats what i listen to (in addition to 4in1, urbanfun, qcy qy19 and tennmak dulcimer)

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #15,524 of 64,010

So many fake Pistons out there. 1More do a version nothing special or ground breaking but fairly solid performer

Got all of mine from GearBest, except the Piston 3 which was from Banggood.  They should all be legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back