Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 20, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #15,541 of 63,936
Okay, I have been reading many pages from this thread.

It seems like everyone here likes a little sparkle in their treble. They want a bright sound. There's nothing wrong with that, everyone has a preference.

I am the complete opposite. I like my headphones/earphones warm and dark. What I'm saying is that I jolt at the sight of sibilance and metallic-sounding treble. Call it shellshock from the Superlux 681.

So here's my deal:

- What is the KZ sound? Every brand has a unique sound signature.
- If I absolutely loathed the ED9s, can I basically rule out most KZ earphones out of my life?
- Am I expecting too much out of $5~$30 earphones? Is it worth it to spend more on a good pair?

Based on the limited feedback I read online, it seems like I would like the ED7s. But I am still waiting for shipping.

My general observations on the different KZ series' are;

EDx series is generally bright and u/v-shaped (ED3c is an exception)
ATx series is generally warm, neutral-ish with more mellow relaxed treble and a mid-bass tilt
ZSx series is dark and bassy (ZST is an exception)
HDSx series pulls from all three; HDS1 neutral-ish, HDS2 warm and bassy, HDS3 v-shaped

That's more or less what I expect from each series when there is a new release. There are other one-offs that may or may not fit into those somewhat vague classifications. If you dislike treble, the ATx and ZSx series earphones would probably offer the best choices. Avoid EDx.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #15,542 of 63,936
-you can just get ATE, if you hate both ATE and ED9 then you can just say goodbye to KZ. Considering they're like the polar opposite.

-yes you are, you had to be more realistic about expectations. KZ iems mostly are $10 iems that sounds like $10 iems. Nothing more or less. Going up twice the price won't give you twice the improvement though, that is where KZ shine because it maybe 80% similar in sounds to some of $20 -$30 iems

- I don't like the over-ear form factor so I'm ruling the ATE out of the picture. So the ED9 is definitely on the extreme bright side of the KZ spectrum? 

- So that confirms it: I should have bought the $60 Marshall Mode over spending a total of $50 cad on several pairs of cheap IEMs that don't cut the mustard. 

I will say that the value proposition is interesting with KZ if you find the Goldilocks pair and you break/lose your headphones often.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #15,543 of 63,936
-yes you are, you had to be more realistic about expectations. KZ iems mostly are $10 iems that sounds like $10 iems. Nothing more or less. Going up twice the price won't give you twice the improvement though, that is where KZ shine because it maybe 80% similar in sounds to some of $20 -$30 iems

The quality of sound for a $10 KZ IEM is improved over IEMs of the past to my ears, so I can't really agree with this statement.  I'd easily pick a KZ like the ZS3 or ZST over some of the popular budget choices a few years back like the Monoprice 8320, JVC HA-FX101, MEElec M6, Astrotec AX-35, and others as well.  Now I won't make any outrageous claims of them being giant killers or anything of the like, but I really do respect the quality of the product.  Of course the most important thing is finding an IEM that suits your preferred sound signature, but the KZ's I enjoy all perform above their cost.  The ATE even gets mentioned on the Basshead IEM thread for it's ability to handle an insane amount of boosting.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #15,544 of 63,936
The quality of sound for a $10 KZ IEM is improved over IEMs of the past to my ears, so I can't really agree with this statement.  I'd easily pick a KZ like the ZS3 or ZST over some of the popular budget choices a few years back like the Monoprice 8320, JVC HA-FX101, MEElec M6, Astrotec AX-35, and others as well.  Now I won't make any outrageous claims of them being giant killers or anything of the like, but I really do respect the quality of the product.  Of course the most important thing is finding an IEM that suits your preferred sound signature, but the KZ's I enjoy all perform above their cost.  The ATE even gets mentioned on the Basshead IEM thread for it's ability to handle an insane amount of boosting.

With the $20 iems from other chinese brands starting to sounds like $50 one, and the $50 one starting to sounds like $100, i guess you can't really say that $10 kz iem perform like $50 iem, since the average $50 iem already perform like $100 one :)

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #15,545 of 63,936
With the $20 iems from other chinese brands starting to sounds like $50 one, and the $50 one starting to sounds like $100, i guess you can't really say that $10 kz iem perform like $50 iem, since the average $50 iem already perform like $100 one
smily_headphones1.gif

YES!!! 

100% agree. 

Case in point: Marshall Mode. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #15,546 of 63,936
Actually, I might do that, but if the SQ of the Youths is the same as the Piston 3 (I don't know for sure but someone said it is) then it might just be worth saving the $10. Love the looks and build quality of the 3 though.

The mechanics of the two models I'm pretty sure are the same but build quality is still a massive advantage that the threes have. I've heard that the YE can have some problems with the cable being too fragile. For 10 more dollars I'd go with the ones that last a bit longer but I do agree, the differences in SQ will be minimal.

I tried the kz Ate just last week and for the same price as the piston threes they're also a great choice. For the price though you may as well get both :wink:

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #15,547 of 63,936
I bought the ATR and EDR2.

The ATR is, I guess, pretty good for a 5 euro phone. It's a bit better than what I bought locally for 15 euros, like JVC HA-FX102 (very V-shaped) or some Panasonic.

But it still has a chronic lack of detail. When I put on my full size Superlux HD681EVO it's like having a revelation. Lesson learned: don't expect 5 euro IEMs to match even 35 euro over-ear headphones.

The EDR2 didn't seem any better, maybe a tad more bass but I can't be bothered to test them any more.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #15,548 of 63,936

But it still has a chronic lack of detail. 

That`s too harshly said imo
rolleyes.gif

What tips did You use?
What is Your source gear and file quality?

I have HD-681 (red ring old version) that is amplitude-corrector modded (Frans filter mod) and my source gear(s) give me better result with ATR actually with KZ starline tips.
Maybe You are not so used with its signature or Your preference is slightly boosted highs? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #15,549 of 63,936

And I've heard many kzs and prefer the Monoprices to most :) everybody has a different taste.

What annoys me too is the comparison to "$50 earphones". There is no $50 headphone. There are good and bad ones. And with the cheap Chinese earphones value doesn't mean anything anymore. The ve monks are being compared to the Sennheiser hd800 but I find my hd439 to be much better than the monks, and they're only $60-100 or so.

It'd be the best to keep price totally out of reviews. At least in comparisons. You could say that you are glad paying that amount of money, meaning it has a good value, but even then, some people here buy $1000 cables and call them value.......

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #15,550 of 63,936
That seems overly aggressive. What is your point exactly?
hey im not being aggressive to someone,my point is that are the zst is one of the kind kz you should get because in my mind if somebody say its good or better maybe it will defeat the expensive iem like (im not choose like thousand dollars this time) sennheiser, byerdyamic or anything else if expensive.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #15,551 of 63,936
I feel you gotta chill a bit here as he did state that it is in his opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion especially when there's more subjective opinion than objective when it comes to audio. And comparing 10+$ IEM with 2000$ IEM ??? It doesn't sound sane to me at all as they're definitely at a different league
My bad it does sound stupid when comparing dirt cheap iem to like ciem.Im curious if this iem can beat like beats headphones.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #15,552 of 63,936
My bad it does sound stupid when comparing dirt cheap iem to like ciem.Im curious if this iem can beat like beats headphones.
I have not own a Beats but i have a friend who has some beats and bose headphones got amazed by how the ZST sound at such low price. Again it boils down to personal preferences + what we look for when we look for a pair of headphones / IEM. As far as i know Beats is not appreciated here or by audiophiles generally. They are all about the marketing.

As you say, they are dirt cheap. But the sound coming out from it doesn't sound like a cheap stuff you get by the roadside stalls so IMO they are setting a high standard for cheap budget IEM. Where else can you get a good quality IEM at 10$ or below right ?

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #15,555 of 63,936
  this thread has 1038 pages. anyone can tell me what is the best KZ earphone? and what is the price? i checked in taobao links it all in chineese.

Like bass and less treble? KZ ZS3

Like midrange and some treble sparkle?  KZ ZST, either black or colorful.

On a really tight budget?  KZ ATR.

Don't like over ear?  KZ ED9

edit: +1 to gearbest.  Cheapest prices for KZ stuff and it's all legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back