Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #15,496 of 63,977
Oh come on, it is Quite almost KZ :wink:

True, I am happy that finally ZST has become a widely appreciated model! My ears have been right since November! :grin:

The ZST colorfuls are in my opinion the best you're going to get out of the top most liked in this thread. I have not tried the ZS3 yet, but I believe those are a more bass heavy sound. The ZST colorfuls are wonderful with a soundstage that is unbelievable.

Pearl Jam - Soon Forget is quite possibly one of the best experiences I've ever had with music. I admittedly had imbibed in a small amount of the devil's lettuce before hand, but wow. Close your eyes, you can see a guy playing a ukeule in front of you, his head to maybe 3 degrees right. You can tell exactly which way his head is moving when he's singing, you can tell when he puts his head down and sings, and you can tell exactly which way the ukeule is positioned. It truly is amazing and I get that from no other KZ, or Tennmak. I get that it's a binaural recording, but it just blows my mind.

Colorfuls ARE tuned slightly different than the OG ZST's.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #15,498 of 63,977
The ZST colorfuls are in my opinion the best you're going to get out of the top most liked in this thread. I have not tried the ZS3 yet, but I believe those are a more bass heavy sound. The ZST colorfuls are wonderful with a soundstage that is unbelievable.

Pearl Jam - Soon Forget is quite possibly one of the best experiences I've ever had with music. I admittedly had imbibed in a small amount of the devil's lettuce before hand, but wow. Close your eyes, you can see a guy playing a ukeule in front of you, his head to maybe 3 degrees right. You can tell exactly which way his head is moving when he's singing, you can tell when he puts his head down and sings, and you can tell exactly which way the ukeule is positioned. It truly is amazing and I get that from no other KZ, or Tennmak. I get that it's a binaural recording, but it just blows my mind.

Colorfuls ARE tuned slightly different than the OG ZST's.

Nice, can't wait as mine have cleared outbound sorting so should ship from origin soon
bigsmile_face.gif
I actually think the OG ZST are nice and look forward to the colorfuls
tongue_smile.gif
Are you running stock cables or upgraded/silvers? Not to get the cable nay sayers going but the silver cable opened my OG's up but most could only tell on certain recordings. My buddy has been listening to my OG's and also my 4in1's and thinks the ZST is every bit as good as the ****'s
wink_face.gif
So I'm really anxious to hear the colorfuls.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #15,499 of 63,977
Bummer, If I would ever buy ZST's would be the black version, if the colourful is indeed tuned better...welp, 1st world problems xD.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #15,501 of 63,977

Thanks! Go for it. I'm going into them with expectations that they'll be solidly built with a bassy sound. Hopefully I'm proven wrong on the second half of that statement and that they're fairly balanced, though I doubt it, haha. 

Also ordered the DM8 model since it has dual 6mm drivers and will fit in nicely with my micro-driver thread. It also looks identical to some PHB model which is bring sold for ~60 CAD on Ali. I'll try the budget model, thank you very much.

Those look really nice, I'd love to try a dual driver IEM... :xf_eek:
Now I need to choose between those and the Piston Youths.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #15,502 of 63,977
I want to drop a small recommendation for KZ fans who appreciate the ZST. Next time you're on an Aliexpress binge consider picking up the Vivo XE800. They are a bright sounding earphone with good soundstage and decent bass (sounds similar?). Basically imagine a ZST that is less harsh in the highs and has a more pleasing midrange.

The only "bad" characteristics I can point out about the Vivo is that it doesn't have as much strain relief as I'd like, the connector is straight rather than angled and after one journey with them on my motorcycle the cable's strain relief at the plug is already slightly tilted.

In terms of sound there is a dip somewhere in the high frequencies that can make some specific types of high frequencies sound more recessed (usually this occurs with cymbals) but female or male vocals sound very smooth and detailed.

They are very comfortable to wear and very small. They sit very flush inside your ear and can be used under a helmet. KZ's Starline tips work on them but be aware that their earphone tip is slimmer than most KZ so you need to buy a T300-sized or lower foam tip. T400 slip off it quite easily.

Funny, as I received my vivo today and still waiting on ZST. Don't know how the ZST is but thought they were very different regarding sound signature. But could be wrong as well.

Agree on the connector bit and the strain relief, those really could have been better.

The Vivo is quite bright and the bass is decent, but I think the bass should be a little bit deeper. The bass isn't really thumbing but is there, let's say recessed. Where I can really hear the bass-guitar strings being pulled with the senzer, it's harder with the vivo. Vocals are very clean indeed. Both male and female, bit of lifelike-effect.

I can say vivo is very detailed on par with the Senzer H1. These are both way above the ATR with the senzer being a bit of a upgrade of the ATR, similiar sound but a bit more thumbing bass and way better clarity over the spectrum. So if you like the ATR, you should check those out. The only thing I dislike is the straight connector. It has better strain relief than the vivo though.

The vivo compared to the ATR make the ATR very dark and the vivo very bright. But has to say, clarity and detail on vivo is very good.
They are very comfortable to wear too.

Senzer: Excells/emphasis in Lower range with great clarity
Vivo: Excells/emphasis in higher range with great clarity
ATR: Good lower range, but missing detail compared against these above. For the money, never had better sounding iems. But spending twice as much will give you a lot of SQ.

Question I would like to ask:
How does the HLSX808 sound?

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #15,504 of 63,977
Why stop at the piston youths? I've been using the piston threes for about a month now and love them. They're incredibly well made for the price and the sound quality is stellar. I highly recommend

Actually, I might do that, but if the SQ of the Youths is the same as the Piston 3 (I don't know for sure but someone said it is) then it might just be worth saving the $10. Love the looks and build quality of the 3 though.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #15,505 of 63,977
Well that's just one person's opinion, everybody else in this thread hasn't noted any difference in the sound between ZST colorful and the black original version.. just saying. 

I have both and they sound the same to me. I just received the silver cable and haven't noticed any difference with it on the colored version, but I haven't been swapping them back and forth to really test. Might do it over the weekend once I'm done playing with the Tennmark Cello and 1more triples I received as well. I have to stop my wife is getting a litte pissed with all the iems I've been purchasing the last few months, this definitely gets addictive.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #15,509 of 63,977

Actually, I might do that, but if the SQ of the Youths is the same as the Piston 3 (I don't know for sure but someone said it is) then it might just be worth saving the $10. Love the looks and build quality of the 3 though.

I got the youths in a week ago.  They have a much thinner sound.  A far cry from the Piston 3s I have.

I think the sound quality has gone down on the Piston lineup ever since the discontinuation of the Piston 3.  I had a Piston Colorful that sounded almost as good as the Piston 3.  I ordered another set on november 2016 and it's pretty bad compared to my old one.  All of my Pistons are working so I can easily do a/b testing.  The Piston Youth I have is slightly better, but Piston 3 has a more refined sound with less harshness in the highs and a bassier profile.

I can't recommend the Pistons anymore due to this variance in sound quality.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Meanwhile the KZ stuff is what goes with me nowadays.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #15,510 of 63,977
  Given my affinity towards the KZ brand I wrote up a little four part article for my blog, The Contraptionist. Thought some of you here might find it interesting and hopefully helpful too. Obviously everything in there concerning sound is my opinion and based on my personal experiences, so take it for what it is please.
 ​

Thank you, thank you. I had a run with KZ and really enjoyed the ED9 and ED3c, thanks for the new recommendations. ZST, ATR and ED10 sounds up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back