Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #15,467 of 63,796

HDS1 is a good option.

@KcLKcL None of the ED3 variants are micro-drivers so they don't really fit the request. The only micro-drivers KZ currently makes are the HDS1/2/3. The rest are all 7mm and up or pair a micro 6mm with a larger driver (ZS1/2 and DT5 for example). 

My micro-driver thread has a bunch of inexpensive options listed and could be helpful; http://www.head-fi.org/t/817426/micro-driver-madness-work-in-progress. I'd recommend the VJJB K2S. Highly overlooked little earphone around here imo.

Obviously those impressions are all from one person (me), so look around for more reviews/impressions if any of them are of interest. Will be updating with the E107, Remax 565i and some others when they eventually make their way to Canada.

I agree with B9 on the HDS1 alternative
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #15,468 of 63,796
Given my affinity towards the KZ brand I wrote up a little four part article for my blog, The Contraptionist. Thought some of you here might find it interesting and hopefully helpful too. Obviously everything in there concerning sound is my opinion and based on my personal experiences, so take it for what it is please.

Knowledge Zenith: A great place to begin your audiophile journey

Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4
 ​
     ​
     ​

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #15,469 of 63,796
The ZST colorful is tuned slightly differently than the ZST. ZST Colorful has more low extension that is still very clean and textured, while raising the mids slightly and pulling the high sibilance back slightly. Very beautiful sound with a giant soundstage. They make you smile. Well impressed.

If you have them, give them a really amazing seal, and give a good listen to Miles Davis - So What, all the way through, using the spotify 320k version. Tell me these sound like they aren't IEM's that cost hundreds of dollars. The detail is so crisp, the accuracy of every little thing someone on stage does, and then each instrument plays to each corner of you and you can pick each instrument out in near 3D space. It's wild. I question reality and get scared sometimes because these are so good. Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing Live at Winterland. Wow. These are $18 IEM's.

In Order:
ZST Colorful (Comfortable)
Tennmak Pro (Comfortable)
ZST (Comfortable)
Tennmak Piano
ATE
ATR
SHE3590 (Comfortable)
ED12

I have a larger ear canal and use the largest KZ starline tip on all of these.

1. This is only my opinion.
2. I am biased, like everyone else.
3. I have not heard everything in the world.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #15,470 of 63,796
Given my affinity towards the KZ brand I wrote up a little four part article for my blog, The Contraptionist. Thought some of you here might find it interesting and hopefully helpful too. Obviously everything in there concerning sound is my opinion and based on my personal experiences, so take it for what it is please.

Part 1[COLOR=6A6A6A] / [/COLOR]Part 2[COLOR=6A6A6A] / [/COLOR]Part 3[COLOR=6A6A6A] / [/COLOR]Part 4

​

​

After my EDR2 broke from removing tips, I'm a bit ehhhhhh on them. And my pair sounded nearly identical to the EDSE

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #15,473 of 63,796
After my EDR2 broke from removing tips, I'm a bit ehhhhhh on them. And my pair sounded nearly identical to the EDSE

I can see why you would feel "ehhhhhh" on them after that. I was the same with the Micro Ring as ootb one housing wasn't glued at all. Glued it back together and the rest is history. The hugely varied opinions regarding sound are exactly why I didn't add them to the recommended list. If they all sounded like my pair, different story.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #15,474 of 63,796
Hi,

I received the Kz ED9 and I don't like them.

They have satisfactory comfort, soundstage, bass, vocals etc...

BUT there is one fatal flaw: shrill treble.

That treble tires me.

I have KZ ED7s on the way. I can't find reviews anywhere. Do they share the same awful treble with the ED9s?

Personally, I prefer darker sounding headphones and I have a knee-jerk reaction to shrill treble. What would be the best Kz earphone for me?

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #15,475 of 63,796

Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4
 ​
     ​
     ​

Great stuff - pulling the trigger on a ZST now, enough messing about! If the bass isn't enough for my electronic tastes I can get a ZS3 later.
  The ZST colorful is tuned slightly differently than the ZST. ZST Colorful has more low extension that is still very clean and textured, while raising the mids slightly and pulling the high sibilance back slightly. Very beautiful sound with a giant soundstage. They make you smile. Well impressed.

If you have them, give them a really amazing seal, and give a good listen to Miles Davis - So What, all the way through, using the spotify 320k version. Tell me these sound like they aren't IEM's that cost hundreds of dollars. The detail is so crisp, the accuracy of every little thing someone on stage does, and then each instrument plays to each corner of you and you can pick each instrument out in near 3D space. It's wild. I question reality and get scared sometimes because these are so good. Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing Live at Winterland. Wow. These are $18 IEM's.

In Order:
ZST Colorful (Comfortable)
Tennmak Pro (Comfortable)
ZST (Comfortable)
Tennmak Piano
ATE
ATR
SHE3590 (Comfortable)
ED12

I have a larger ear canal and use the largest KZ starline tip on all of these.

1. This is only my opinion.
2. I am biased, like everyone else.
3. I have not heard everything in the world.

Had not heard of the ZST colorful...they sound ideal for me. 

Is this them? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earphones-Ollivan-Isolating-Earphone-Headphone/dp/B01MRZNYM9 

Hope so as that looks my best bet to purchase in the UK

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #15,476 of 63,796
Hi,

I received the Kz ED9 and I don't like them.

They have satisfactory comfort, soundstage, bass, vocals etc...

BUT there is one fatal flaw: shrill treble.

That treble tires me.

I have KZ ED7s on the way. I can't find reviews anywhere. Do they share the same awful treble with the ED9s?

Personally, I prefer darker sounding headphones and I have a knee-jerk reaction to shrill treble. What would be the best Kz earphone for me?

Treble was my issue with the ED9 too, but with a different quality; splashiness.

From what I recall reading earlier in the thread the ED7 should be more more warm and relaxed; ATE/ATR-ish. You should be fine with those.

ED3c, RX, ZS1/2/3, ZN1 Mini, are all warmer/darker models. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #15,477 of 63,796

Great stuff - pulling the trigger on a ZST now, enough messing about! If the bass isn't enough for my electronic tastes I can get a ZS3 later.

Is this them? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earphones-Ollivan-Isolating-Earphone-Headphone/dp/B01MRZNYM9 

Yes those are the colorful ZST.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #15,478 of 63,796
Thanks! Yeah, the treble on the ED9s really sucks. It's almost as bad as the Superlux 681 which is a treble bazooka of ultimate sibilance.

It's shrill, splashy, uneven etc...Listening to MacDemarco's jangly guitars with ED9s is really painful. It becomes even more nauseating listening to Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion. The highs are just all over the place and it gives me headaches.

Well, glad to hear ED7s are warmer and darker. Too bad I have to wait 3 more weeks for shipping.

It's just too tempting to spend $60 cad online for Marshall Modes. If you read the Wire Cutter's earphone shootout, they complain a lot about sibilant and poor-fitting earbuds. Especially in the $100 category. The Marshall Mode won because it was neither sibilant or poorly-fitting. Reading that article was so reassuring.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #15,479 of 63,796
I can see why you would feel "ehhhhhh" on them after that. I was the same with the Micro Ring as ootb one housing wasn't glued at all. Glued it back together and the rest is history. The hugely varied opinions regarding sound are exactly why I didn't add them to the recommended list. If they all sounded like my pair, different story.

Yeah, some people said they were very different from the EDSE, others said they were the same. Mine were the same. I'm still curious about the EDR1 and ED2, but if I ever break my EDSE, I'll just get another

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #15,480 of 63,796

Yes, that is them. It's said that they are the exact same as the original ZST, but I notice slight improvements that bring these up a level past the original ZST's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back