Klipsch's NEW line of Reference X IEMs (X6i, XR8i, X12i, X20i)
Apr 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #76 of 167
Not a fan of the remote either and am looking forward to a non 'i' cableset though none seem to be available now from klipsch.

Also, i feel the true weak point for the cable is where the cable meets the earpiece, thats the part that gets subjected to the most tugging force when removing it from one's ear, and is sadly not fixable should a disconnection occur there (without replacing the entire earpiece)

Are there any owners of the x20i here that can vouch for it's long term reliability yet?

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #77 of 167
The strain relief is over twice as thick as the material on the X5 so I doubt there will be an issue. My x5 have a slight tear in the strain relief but given cable thickness (thin) and thin strain relief, I don't see the x20 doing the same.

I also think that the flexible vs hard mechanical connection is a good thing. Looks to be trend started by the senn ie800. Over stressing one gives a bend and the other is a broken connector or cracked housing

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #79 of 167
I'd be tempted to wait just to see what the newly announced Etymotics will bring to the table. Sound wise, the x20i do not leave me wanting (other than disease of upgraditis we al have constantly ) and I think the only complaints I've read have been cost, wanting cable attachment at housing and wanting a mic free version. I find it odd that if the sound quality is being found at the top of the game with 1000$ units, why they complain about the cost. All I can think is brand snobbery is at play. Sure I expect the margin based on component cost is high but if you tabulate the component cost of a plastic housed 6 driver unit, you would quickly see a lot 1000$ unit had an even higher margin. You can witness this with the DIY IEM kits you can find easily. (A DIY 535 is 100$ or so to get idea)

Good luck!

May 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #85 of 167
How does the X20i compare sound signature wise to the XR8i? I know Klipsch has that graph at the bottom, but it doesn't tell you much...

May 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #86 of 167
I only had a short listening experience with the XR8i so hard to say with certainty.  However, I like the X5 and always felt a little bottom end would be perfect. That is basically what the XR8i is. I seriously considered a pair but they just didn't feel right in my ears. I tend to end up with a deeper insertion (20yrs+ of etys) and the XR8i seem to be set up for a more shallow depth.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #87 of 167
Klipsch replied to a comment I left on their X20i photo, and said they are "looking into" making an Android cable. That, coupled with a temporary sale on the X line (along with a discount through my employer) has me thinking about picking them up. Of course, just because they're looking into it doesn't mean it will happen, nor do I know if this is a 1-button remote (useless for me) or a 3-button (perfect!).

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #88 of 167
Sale alert on the Klipsch X20i's, you can find them for $439 on Amazon and Ebay, as well as the official Klipsch website. I just got one, they are incredible sounding!
edit: btw, I have a new review of these up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/klipsch-x20i-earbuds-with-mic-and-playlist-control-for-ipod-iphone-ipad-silver-black/reviews/16229

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #90 of 167
  The Ebay store called worldwide stereo thats has the sale is very lame as it does not ship outside US....

That's a shame. That's actually the place I got them from too. There's got to be other dealers who ship outside the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back