Klipsch's NEW line of Reference X IEMs (X6i, XR8i, X12i, X20i)
Aug 10, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #106 of 167

If like most Klipsch stuff, it should be on sale again soon before you know it. People complain about their cost but when you compare against the rest, you can find a few reviews where they best the Shure 535 easily and they are 500$.

Another thing holding me back is the remote cable. I have an Android phone and don't want a 3-button remote that has only one functional button for me. I have a SoundBlaster E1 DAC, that has its own built-in controls, so that would work, but I don't use it too often. I asked them on Instagram and they said they were looking into an Android cable, so we'll see. Westone and Shure don't have Android cables, either.

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #107 of 167
I picked up a brand new sealed x12i the other day for 150 cnd. I wanted a back up pair for my w60 so I thought why not. I thought I got a good deal until I listened to them. Now I think I didn't get a good deal I got a steal lol these sound frign fantastic. Holy crap I wasn't expecting that. I had a few years back the image 10 and they were ok I guess. But these are a lot better from what I remember from memory imo of course. I think they beautifully made too. Very small and easy to put in and out. I'm not to fond of the volume control would rather not have it but oh well. Imo these are definitely worth the asking price no doubt about it. Now I'm curious if these sound this good I'm going to have to try the x20. Anyways im very impressed on the sound that comes out of such a small housing like that. Incredible. Happy listening.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #108 of 167

Think of the x12 that lets the tweeter handle the highs. Sounds great but more importantly, easy to deal with compared to having to deal with wrapping a cord around your ear and can throw in pocket 

Here is a good review if haven't seen it yet http://headphone.guru/klipsch-x20i-a-new-flagship-a-new-standard-in-sound-quality/

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #109 of 167
Great thank you. Great read. Now I'm really interested. Same with the x12. Add some ampag and these little things sing and go to a different level. They do sound good out of my iPhone 6s but sound much better with some power. And with the added tweeter that would be sweet. These play with pretty much everything in there price bracket and beyond. These are one of the only BA. That comes close to a DD earphone. Specially in the low end. BA's sound fast and accurate but to me they never sounded right with the bass they just sounded off. These really don't. They have more of natural sound to them which I like. Imo. Now I have to check out the x20 :)

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #110 of 167
Ive been using a DF Red off the iPad Mini and 6S+ for them since it retains portability.  I kept going back to thinking I wanted some 846 so listed at the airport  again a few weeks ago and they just sound 'blah' to me.. Granted I think I needed the other filter in place to be back in the tonal range I like, but they didn't impress as they were. Might be Im just too used to Etymotic like sound. After my previous pair of ER4S were found after tangling with a lawn mower,  I replaced with the X5. They sounded sweet, and has a slight bit more bass than the er4 but much easier to use yet wanted more weight in the lower registers.  The 20i sound very similar to that wish....Speaking I might just plop the X5 in since has been a while

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #111 of 167
  X20i arrived last Thursday.  Tried with all my might to enjoy them this weekend.  Worst IEMs I've heard in a very long time.  To my ear - muffled, congested, overly warm and muddy.  Not at all revealing.  So much detail destroyed that I couldn't get texture out of classical strings to save my life.  Cable far more microphonic than I expected it to be.  Very strange experience.  Returning them today. 

I hope your personal experiences are better than mine.

Unfortunately I have pretty much the same impressions. Although for me, the problem was not it being muddy or congested, but the same as you with the detail and overall lack of treble clarity. I wanted SO bad to love the X20i, especially after a positive experience with the X10s. Best way I can describe the sound problems is this: cymbals, high hats, and any transient information in that treble area simply sounded like a compressed mp3 file. And I was using all lossless to test them. Now, I may have judged them too harshly, but after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fgczl9wfQ I had high hopes for them, because the representative said they sought to give these IEMs an over ear headphone experience with the "super-tweeter". I did compare them to the HD650 and x10, and for some reason the x10 sounded less distroted in the treble than the x20i. The 650 sounded clearer too. 
Now, I could have very likely gotten a defective pair, and I wonder if Klipsch may have manufactured a bunch of defective pairs and that is the reason for these negative reviews, and I really hope that's the case. If I ever get the chance to try a different pair, I'll let this thread know the results!

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #113 of 167
Anything in particular that really showed the distortion you encountered? I'll try the selection out on the Senn, x20i and EtherC

Yeah, there were a few tracks. One that stood out for me, although subtle, was Amy Grant's Baby Baby. The cymbal hits were what stood out for me. Also, some of the harmonics in that moving synth line were lost. Try any recordings that have lots of cymbal or high hats.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #114 of 167
After a week or so, I've found a repeatable difficult section on Hello Anastasia, Tori Amos (remastered) on amazon prime at around the 2:12 mark.

It sounds like a mic overload but each of the headphones portray it differently. The X20i make is sound like a clipping. The Andromeda are able note the issue with an odd sound but not as obvious as x20i. The hd580s with 600/650 upgrades seem to sweep it under the rug and the EtherC are similar. If you can listen, give it a go and see if the distortion is similar in character even though close mic vocal

I need to get the red book version to see how it is

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #115 of 167
I've had a couple sets of S4 and have always gotten the best fit inserted upside down (wire up). I think that was pretty common for a lot of people. Does this apply to the X12i also?

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #117 of 167
IMO they are not worth it for their price,which is in the 200 to 250 USD range. IMO They have nice punchy bass with smooth clear mids, however because they are single balanced armature, they have very weak highs and are not as good in instrument separation compared to competitors. There are much better earphones out there at that price range. How ever, the klpisch has very very good comfort, you won't even know youre wearing it

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #118 of 167
the X series caught my attention amidst my search; the newer models with improved cabling is attractive but I have no practical need/use for the remote. the x11 can be had for ~100 which seems like a good deal considering the cost new and not much improvement into the x12i or x20i.

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #120 of 167
I was under the assumption that Klipsch would be making replacement cables for the X20i, either by themselves or by partnering with a company. A bit disappointed to see that there's nothing out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back