Klipsch's NEW line of Reference X IEMs (X6i, XR8i, X12i, X20i)
Nov 12, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #121 of 167
Went to try the new lineup again, these are my impressions (All IMO of course)

X6I
-bright, and weak bass. It's hard for a single BA to manage the entire audio spectrum so you'll get either good highs or good bass, not both. 
XR8I
-bass is strong, feels bloated and overpowers the mids. Sounds unbalanced
X12i
-I used to own this iem before it broke, and it'll aways be one of my favorites. Bass is fast punchy and ba-ish with little to no rumble. Mids are slightly forward, warm, smooth and clear with unique tonality. They are very enjoyable. Highs feel suppressed though. Not recessed, but suppressed, like they re struggling to show up. This iem is good at 150 usd, not at its current price of 220 usd. 

BTW x11i and x10i have cable issues. The wire attached to the connector breaks easily, quite a number including myself have this issue. I wouldn't get x11i even if it cost 100usd

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #123 of 167
  how long before your x11 had cable issues? did the x12i newer cables look much better?

I was going to buy the x11's for 100 as they've been on my short list. 

About one year. From then on, the cable near the jack started wearing off day by day, leaving exposed wire. I had to shift the jack in such a way to produce sounds in both ears, if not the sound would not be heard in right ear. Even then, the right ear sound was noticeably softer than the left ear. Eventually, i super glued the wire near the jack and made it last for a while more. But it spoiled in the end. 

This is a problem many others face. The new x12i cable near the housing is more reinforced, i doubt it'll have the same problem. YOu may be tempted to get the x11is for 100, but if i were you i would'nt. Id rather get an iem with better build quality. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #125 of 167
$550 retail for a dual BA? Yea....there's better on the market.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #127 of 167
It's not about the number of drivers. Ie800 has only one dynamic driver.

A DD is fundamentally different than a BA.

And extra BA's on top of the first are just incremental improvements via crossover.

I still stand by that there is a cheaper dual-BA IEM on the market that offers comparable, if not better sound, than the X20i.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #128 of 167
I have the x12i and I think they sound good out of a phone but sound quite better amped.I think they are a little hard to drive.I had the 10 years ago and from memory the 10 sounded fuller or more of a mid bass hump then the x12i..it's a fun Iem to listen to.just have to give them a bit of juice Imo.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #129 of 167
A DD is fundamentally different than a BA.

And extra BA's on top of the first are just incremental improvements via crossover.

I still stand by that there is a cheaper dual-BA IEM on the market that offers comparable, if not better sound, than the X20i.

Klipsch has never just been about the SQ, at least for me. I generally hate the feel of IEMs, but find Klipsch's super comfortable. That said, I tolerated the X10/X11i for their SQ due to comfort, while I actually really enjoy the X20i for music. They don't sound great directly out of a phone, but when amped out of my laptop, they are one of my most enjoyable sets to listen to.

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #130 of 167
I'm not an audiophile but merely a music-lover who does most of his music listening on mobile devices.

My daily go-to in ear headphones for the past year were the Sennheiser Momentum IE, which I love very much for heir punchy, well timed bass and crystal clear highs, yet bemoan their lacking, recessed mids.

Now that their cable is starting to deteriorate, I'm looking for a repleacement set of in ears and have been intrigued by Klipsch for the longest time. Both the X6i and XR8i seem very attractive to me, the latter in particular, now that Klipsch has cut their price down to 179 Dollars.

TL:DR; Which of these two would you recommend to someone who loves the Momentum In Ears very much but is looking for a step-up in sound quality? 

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #131 of 167
I can't recommend the X20i / Herus+ combination enough. I look forward to listening to it everytime--sounds perfectly balanced to my ears, with nice bass impact. I can comfortably enjoy tunes on the road without missing my home setup; can't ask for much more in a portable setup 
etysmile.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #133 of 167
Just wanted to shout-out Vlad from Klipsch, who gave a product training on the IEMs and the new on/over-ear headphones at my store yesterday. He was glad to meet another Head-Fi-er. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #134 of 167
Has anyone here heard both the X10 and the X12i, and can say for sure they sound the same? On Innerfidelity, the graphs are slightly different, mostly at the top octave above 10 Khz, which of course could be an imperfect seal problem, driver variation, etc.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #135 of 167
Tried the x12i again today. The highs are very very weak. It is not a problem of rolled off treble, its that these are INCAPABLE of producing decent treble extension. The little treble they can manage sounds bad too. It sounds suppressed, compressed and muffled, as though there is a blanket covering them. On other iems with rolled off treble, when i use treble boost on my walkman, there is a noted boost in highs. But on the X12is, the difference is very small. When i first started off my audio journey, I didn't find these an issue as I did not have any other good iems to compare to. But now, after owning many iems/headphones with good treble extension, I find these lacking. To me, this is a severe weakness for something at the 200-300usd range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back