Klipsch's NEW line of Reference X IEMs (X6i, XR8i, X12i, X20i)
Feb 28, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #61 of 167
  damn looks like these x20 havent got any love around here.

thats one thing i have noticed here on headfi within the last couple of years, is that the cheap chinese iems get all the hype now.

I would buy it right away if they had the x20 (without the "i").

Why did u think the Chinese started making stuff ? Coz everything is made in China and after a while, they learn how to copy and copy faster too.
There are so many high-end iphones look-a-like with the features of high-end audio chipsets, therefore, they will be able to clone IEMs into their own stuff too. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #62 of 167
although i do prefer no mic, i wont let it stop me from buying a headphone. hopefully at some point klipsch will make a replacement cable with no mic. i will buy it straight away.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #63 of 167
  although i do prefer no mic, i wont let it stop me from buying a headphone. hopefully at some point klipsch will make a replacement cable with no mic. i will buy it straight away.

The replacement cable starts below the Mic, so the replacement cable does not include the Mic.
Therefore if the mic/vol control has issues...too bad...

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #65 of 167
I just want to say that I demoed the x20i today. I listened to it alongside every higher end model from shure and westone (same price bracket) as well as the RHA t20 and of course my not so trusty x10 (bought cheap, but falling apart. I have another pair which stopped working after just one year of use in the gym)

The short story is that the x20i blows away everything I heard from Shure, westone, and RHA. Its not even close. The smoothness of the overall frequency response from top to bottom simply doesnt exist anywhere else. Definitely not from westone or shure which had terrible peaky zones in the treble response and though the higher end models had a nice midbass response, there was a gaping hole in the sub bass regions most of the time and vocals somehow sounded hollow yet sibilant most of the time. Fitment was also far less comfortable, klipsch deserves an award for the level of comfort they provide vs the sound they can achieve with such a small package. It runs completely opposite to the 'huge unconfortable iem with multiple drivers' philosophy that shure and westone subscribe to. This is all in comparison to the x20 of course. On their own they're not bad, just not as good as the x20. Not even close

The x20 and x10,11,12 carry a similar sound signature, that klipsch smoothness you dont get anywhere else (those who appreciate it will know what i mean). The differences between them relate mostly to the amount of detail one can pick out as well as the quality of the upper mids and treble which is clearly superior to the x10 now..yet somehow retaining thay lovely smooth characteristic. The lower registers are roughly equal to the x10, but do sound cleaner thanks to the improved mid and top end

If you like the klipsch sound, demo these earphones if you can.

Have said all that , I did not buy them. They are very expensive, and my experience with the x10 raises doubts about build quality which the short 1 year warranty does nothing to ease. I really want them though. Maybe ill convince myself over time

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #67 of 167
Not sure if this has been posted yet so ignore if it's old news.

I've had the Kipsch xr8i since they were released. I like a lot of bass, but also prefer a balanced sound signature. I've somewhat loathed these because the bass was overpowering and seemed to drown the mids and highs.

Today I plugged these phones in and noticed I could barely hear the right ear. Tried some others and heard the r channel fine so pulled off the plastic tip and noticed there was a little white filter with black glue that came off. Pulled it off and put the tip on and wow, the mids and highs really opened up. Tried the same thing on other ear and they sound amazing now!!!

Not sure what the little filter was for, but these phones sound REALLY good now. Enjoy!!

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #68 of 167
Can anyone compare the X10/X11's to the X12's? Is there a huge difference between the X11's and X12's?

I compared my x10 to the x12 in the store as well. They sound exactly the same to me, going back and forth between them. I believe the differences are cosmetic (with later versions perhaps having better durability as well with the improved construction)

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #69 of 167
There are very few changes from the X10 to the X12i

Firstly, there are the X10, X10i, X11 & X11i....but the X12i only have the vol option (I am not sure about the mic)
I only owned the X10i and then the non "i" as I found the 1 inch vol control a hassle and a "break" or fault point....one reason of not getting X12i

The X11 and X12i have "tangle-free" cables which seems slightly harder and stiffer then the X10. The rubber used also seems more durable than the X10 (if compared to the X11)

I tested the X10 (mine), X11 (mine) and X12i (in shop) using the Vivo Max X5 (MX player with HW+SW mode) and Fiio E6 amp (thats the amp I use when I am on the move).
Songs played : Safari Duo - bass beat and melody & Played it a live  (vs Brooklyn Bounce mix) & Andre Rieu (Live in Maastricht)

- X10 : sound so good.....I take this as the basic X-series sound
- X11 : base sounds deeper, highs are clear, managed to go high volumes without much change in sound (I went to 28 on vol....you will get warning when u pass 14) 
- X12i : sounds perfect at normal listening range. Bass seems to get deeper when slightly low volumes & faded bass at louder levels. But very distinct high frequency cut off at louder volumes.....especially for classical music

Somehow I still feel the X11 has slightly better depth when playing the concert....

Sadly....I did not try the X20i as it was still in the box and the sample was not out.....the shops had to be careful of that USD 750 piece...But could someone advise where the connectors are on the X20i ? I still cannot get a clear picture as is the connector before or after the mic ? Can we turn the X20i into X20 ?

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #71 of 167
Actually...I am also thinking of a standby set....
But i will advise to keep away from the x10 and x10i as they have quality issues and do not have a long shelf life as the rubber used was very inferior quality.

I would think of the x11 or x11i to be wiser choice, myself would get the x11 as I do not like the vol control...
But ebay seems to have much lesser sellers of the x11 and x11i 

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #72 of 167
Decided to get a set 2 weeks ago and very impressed. Long time ER4s user, converted to Klipsch X5 forever (which never got the love they should have by the community). Current inventory is light: upgraded HD580 with 600 screens/ 650cable, RHA T20i, Klipsch X5, modded 7506, QC20, QC25 and recent sent back a second  set of ER4PT.

The ER4 and X5 are good match with a little give take in the clarity and bass department. Doubt anyone find them too different if one likes one they will like the other most likely. My current search was for a flush fit, high isolation, easy/fast insertion, er4 clarity and more solid bottom end. I wont lie, the price of the x20i are high but they perform. No only that, I find they really scale so it you amp them. Creative E5 and Fiio E12a Mont Blanc IEM special edition both make a wonderful bass punch and transparency to the game an iPhone 6S+ cannot. I wish I had the Ety 75ohm converter cable to see how that changed the signature on the phone. I typically have to really nitpick to justify the source of some of these earphones but this is a very noticeable contribution to the soundstage and ambiance. Also listened to the X6i, they are not too far off the sound of the X5 but the housing is a little clunky. Recommended from the quick evaluation.

It is a great set of IEM, I expect it to win over a few ears especially after a little validation by respected reviews. I was prepared to get the 846 but the desire has waned. 

BTW:The mic is below the connector so this could easily be converted to remote-less or even lightning cable if that ever becomes the thing.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #75 of 167
Yes, I was trying to at least :)

Those are the connectors unscrewed from the lower cable assembly. Left and right earpiece as well. You can see that as long as they can make the connectors available , it  would be easy. They even allude to it on their website "Screw-type coaxial SSMCX connectors for both left and right sides allow for swapping cables or using custom balanced cables."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back