Klipsch S4 vs Fischer Eterna vs Vsonic GR06 vs Brainwavz m2
Jul 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

paradoxpsp

New Head-Fier
I can't decide between these iem's and i lack the knowledge to really know whats better so i thought i'd ask you guys whats the best!

i listen to a range of music but mostly trance, electro and dubstep so please keep that in mind when deciding =D

thanks

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 10
Why would someone give a free amp with an IEM? I Know...

If you can, the Sony XBA-1 is a very well kept secret.

Or my Ole Favorites, Etymotic HF5 or MC5.

Good Luck, Jim

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't pick any of those...

I think there are fine choices among these. Firstly, please check Joker's mega-comparison, and see how they rank.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-247-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-superfi-5-pro-superfi-5-eb-added-07-23-12

There's been some hype over the new CKM500, so you may want to check that out as well.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 10
I personally have the S4, and Vsonic GR07 and GR04, using it with sunrise dolphin amp (it's really a no name amp, but I'm traveling and my amp broke down). If I had to put these in a (worst sound to better) gradient, I would say:

GR04 -> Klipsch S4 -> GR07 mkII

However, I'm not too impressed with the build quality in the gr07, especially for the price, the microphonics were too noticeable (the sound of the wires moving, I'm not even sure if that's the right word for it). Actually, they all have pretty bad microphonics.

The GR07 produces a crisp, clear reproduction of sound. However, even with the mass amount of included ear tips, I couldn't find a comfortable fit, but I think my experience here should be the exception, as I really didn't give it a fair try. I'm partially against the GR07 because I almost blew my ears out with them (complete accident). The box said 50 ohms resistance, so when I went from 36 to 50 I figured the volume should be lower. Needless to say, that's a lesson I'll never forget.

Edit: I should mention, the reason I don't use the gr07's is because I like to pair my headphones with an amp, and due to that impedance/volume incident with the '07s, I deemed them too dangerous to my hearing and too cumbersome to carry with an amp and adapters to make it 'work'. Subsequently, my Gf uses them while my portable to-go to's are SE425 & S4

IMO, I would go with the S4, the build qualities nicer and I get much better noise isolation than the VSONICS. However, my purchasing decision would be swayed by whether I had a portable amp or not. The S4's sound much better with a portable amp, whereas the GR07's can be powered by a phone or mobile device without an amp with no problems. If you do decide to amp the GR07's, then I recommend a 75ohm adapter, as the headphones don't scale very well with an amp in terms of volume to Clarity.

Also, the 3.5mm connection side for both headphones seems flimsy to me and the likely 'breaking' point, if you will, of the headphones. The GR07 mkII is slightly better, but not by much.

If you're going to get the GR06, you might as well step up to the GR07's, I think they're much better for the minuscule price difference

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Significantly disagree with many parts of the post above, but it's just each of our opinions.

The GR07 is fantastic, but it costs effectively more than double the GR06. The latter has a rather lush sound which may not suit some of your faster genres, but it does have a nice mid-bass punch that pairs well with electronic music. The S4 has fun bass, clear mids, but merely decent treble. It fits snugly and comfotably, but I personally prefer the Vsonic over-ear fit, which reduces microphonics to near nonexistant. The build quality of both should be fine.

Two lesser-known IEM's I would look into are the CKM500 and the FXT90. Both are under $100, so they may be better for your budget.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree with 'tzjin', I normally listen to electronic music now more than other genres, so the gr07 is paired better to it, but due to my musical tastes I neglected to mention the S4's treble's shortcomings (I spend most of my time reading, so I generally neglect vocals/treble as it distracts my thought processes).

As for the price difference, I guess that's very subjective. The difference at the store I bought at (locally, in china) only had a price difference of $50USD for the 07 to 06, which to me is fairly minuscule, as my decision to buy products is more on quality than on price, so the $50 difference was justified for me.

Tzjin is also correct that the vsonics are over ear, so microphonics are 'near existent' if you're stationary. But from me coming from Shure's SE215, 425's, microphonics is something I can't stand period (since their microphonics to me are non-existent), but that's probably due to me being a little spoiled.

My Gf also mentioned the bass isn't as strong as the SE215's.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 10
I've heard some good reviews on the m4 and I think it's just a offer atm haha.
I'll have a look at those, what are the price range on those ones?
Thanks

100 or less.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back