Klipsch S4 >> HiFiMan RE0 >> what next?
Jul 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Baroninkjet

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder if anyone might have some advice for me as to what IEMs to consider next. Recent History:

Klipsch S4 -- I liked them OK except for the sibilance which drove me absolutely bonkers.

RE0 -- I really like these a lot, love the clean precise highs. I have to jack up the bass a fair amount though, which I would rather not do. I'm not a bass head at all, but it's not enough. Biggest issue though has been reliability. Today I sent back the second pair for warranty repair in six months.

So I am thinking I am ready for an upgrade. I'm thinking $100, $150 tops. Looking for clean highs and mids like the REOs, but a little more solid bass. And reliable. Primary source is I-9300  (w/some minor hacks) and PowerAmp or Neutron depending on the day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!!! 

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Klipsch S4 -- I liked them OK except for the sibilance which drove me absolutely bonkers.

Eartip size and fit are the biggest factors to sound quality on the S4. Have you tried changing the eartips? Bi-flange tips greatly reduce the sibilance, but they are harder to fit well in my ears as they always move off position. For me build quality was the biggest issue - strain reliefs rip off easily (I mean the version that comes in the blue CNET box, not the latest S4 II which is sold more expensive).

I just lost my S4 so I bought Audio-Technica CKM500 so far so good! A bit bass heavy but the mids and highs are very good though there is a bit of sibilance (have not completely burned in, it's been just a week). Soundstage a bit small, but instrumental separation is very good and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back