Klipsch image X10 vs Sony XBA-4 vs TripleFi 10
Sep 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

alex110394

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

The brand new Sony XBA-4 just came out some weeks ago. 

I read a lot of reviews of them, but I didn't succeed in understanding in what IEM range the XBA-4 are. 

That's why I'm opening this new thread : I'd like to know how the XBA-4 sound in front of the Klipsch Image X10 and the TripleFi 10.

Technically, are the XBA-4 better thant the Klipsch Image X10, or are they very similar ? (technically)
As for the TripleFi 10, are they at the same level of the XBA-4 ?

Thanks for advance :)

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 18
i actually love the sound signature on the x10i's, the xba 4 doesnt sound that bad, but technically I still prefer the X10i's. Im not too sure about the triple.fi but those sound exellent as well.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
i actually love the sound signature on the x10i's, the xba 4 doesnt sound that bad, but technically I still prefer the X10i's. Im not too sure about the triple.fi but those sound exellent as well.

So, the x10i's sound technically better than a 4 BA ?

That's quite surprising. I would have thought the XBA-4 were far better. 

In fact, I'm hesitating : although the x10i's really sound great, I fear the cable might break after severals months of using. 
Indeed, I used to own the Klipsch Custom 3 which have a very cheap cable : they "died" after 1 year.

So, the XBA-4 actually don't worth their price (300$), if they are under the x10i's (who currently cost 150-200$) ?

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 18
xba-4 is a very capable BA IEM technically, but there is something about its tuning that is not for everyone (funny treble tinge but not much sibilance, fairly big bass for a somewhat analytical IEM). It is a love it hate it IEM that needs to be auditioned first before purchase. 

X10's bass quality, staging and imaging falls short of XBA-4's IMO. Vs tf10p, in a nutshell, tf10p bass is more snappy and is tuned for a much more fun sound than the xba-4. xba-4 is nowhere close as hyperactive.  

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 18
I do know the XBA-4 have a sound that does not appeal to everyone. But I really love this kind of sound, especially the V-shape sounds.

When I read some reviews and tests about the XBA-4, it reminds me of the Klipsch Custom 3's sound. Deep bass, funny treble, warm sound, this is exactly what I'm looking for. But I read everything... and the contrary on the internet ! 

PS : I'm sorry, but I'm french, so, my english is not very good...
So, I don't understand your sentence : "X10's bass quality, staging and imaging falls short of XBA-4's IMO"
Do you mean the X10 are technically less good than the XBA-4 ?

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 18
The xba-4 is better than the x10 on the aspects I mentioned.

The xba-4 has a lot more treble than the custom 3 and the is less warm on the midrange. It is a rather bright v-shaped IEM but not extremely so, while the Custom 3 is a flattish warm sounding IEM, two different animal.

If you want something close to the custom 3, the x10 is your best bet, it is like a custom 3 with a harder hitting bass, more colored and intimate midrange, and more aggressive detailing.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 18
XBA4 is Sony's new flagship with FOUR proprietary armature drivers designed specifically to work in a quad setup in each ear piece. One of them is a HUGE woofer, plus one driver for each frequency range, i.e. treble, mid, bass. 

X10 has one balanced armature driver. 

So "technically" XBA4 is much more advanced and has a lot more technology and specs than the X10. Is it not obvious? 

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
The xba-4 is better than the x10 on the aspects I mentioned.

The xba-4 has a lot more treble than the custom 3 and the is less warm on the midrange. It is a rather bright v-shaped IEM but not extremely so, while the Custom 3 is a flattish warm sounding IEM, two different animal.

If you want something close to the custom 3, the x10 is your best bet, it is like a custom 3 with a harder hitting bass, more colored and intimate midrange, and more aggressive detailing.

Yes, I'm looking for a similar sound like the Klipsch custom 3. However, I've owned the UM3x after my custom 3 fell apart. So, I don't want a downgrade, I want to stay in the same range.
So, the XBA-4 seem to be what I'm looking for : a V-shape sound, strong bass, and much more detailed sound than the X10 / custom 3.

Quote:
XBA4 is Sony's new flagship with FOUR proprietary armature drivers designed specifically to work in a quad setup in each ear piece. One of them is a HUGE woofer, plus one driver for each frequency range, i.e. treble, mid, bass. 

X10 has one balanced armature driver. 

So "technically" XBA4 is much more advanced and has a lot more technology and specs than the X10. Is it not obvious? 

Not basicly. The number of drivers doesn't determine the sound quality.
For instance, the Phonak Audéo PFE232, which only have 2 drivers, deliver a sound at the level of the Westone 4 ! 
The X10, according to the tests and reviews, deliver a sound at the level of a double driver (like the Westone UM2).

Thank you or your answer.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 18
The x10i are nice sounding iems; I haven't had the chance to hear the others mentioned in this thread.

However, don't buy them if build quality is on your list of priorities. I take extra care of mine but wouldn't wear them outside, for example.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The x10i are nice sounding iems; I haven't had the chance to hear the others mentioned in this thread.

However, don't buy them if build quality is on your list of priorities. I take extra care of mine but wouldn't wear them outside, for example.

Build quality is not a priority, but earphones of this range have to resist more than 2 years, at least.

Yes, I will use my earphones outside, in the train and in the subway. So, the cable must be durable.

So, I think I will choose the XBA-4... They have a great design, the cable seems to be solid, and the sound seems to be what I'm looking for. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 18
I tried the Xba-4 out, technically not my kind of IEMS, My westone 4, much better in every aspect, I prefered the sound signature of my w4 against any 3 driver or 4 driver earphones, but once again like you said drivers built in them shouldnt matter to you, as what the output is more important, the X10i's excell in every aspect in sound, they do have a punchy bass, and crisp highs and lows, not very good with mids, which you will feel the Xba 4 is better, but realitywise dont ever buy IEMS without testing them out first, if you already liked the Um3X and the Custom 3, then your type of music should be more blended to the X10i's not the XBA-4, but yet again its your call. first test them out, the X10i is very fun detailed headphones you can listen to, while the XBA-4 is a really dull type of music, mostly for classical etc, on my X10i's the Build quality has been great so far,even with the thin cables, i use them almost everyday and while im travelling, the only downfall is after more than 1.2 yrs is that it splits near on the drivers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back