Klipsch Image S4?
Oct 23, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #91 of 629
For people suffering with too much bass
try the larger tip with the headphones
It solved my problem
with the M tips, it felt like there was more bass as it is close to the ear drums i guess.
But when I tried the L tips, sound stage sounds much bigger and the bass was tighter and the boominess went away.
This is kinda common sense but it was a solution for me so
everything else is great now
biggrin.gif

I was a little overwhelmed coming from SCL3 lol base anemic
These phones are definitely fun to use.
biggrin.gif

I had a hard time choosing between the Westone UM2 and this and I'm with this now
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #92 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK I was writing off the all the hype about these as FOTM but dang they sounded interesting. Then they put them on sale at London Drugs and finally I couldn't stand it even though I have pretty much switched to headphones as of late.

Having said all that I have to say out of the box I am impressed. They are a bit sibilant right now but over all they kick my Monster Turbines butt BADLY. They have very nice bass, a great midrange, and I think the treble will be really nice once it settles down. The sound stage is actually there in comparison to the TB's but less than my big phones (no surpise considering I listen to ATH AD700/900 headphones which have HUGE soundstages. My initial thought in this regard was yuck but as I listened to them I started to appreciate the sound stage they did have and also started to groove into the fact I could hear small details at low volume my open headphones don't allow due to outside noise. My only real complaint is a bit of microphonics and I believe this is simply because I have gotten used to having none with my open phones.

MAN ARE THESE COMFORTABLE!!! I am using the default gels out of the box and I simply put them in and forget them.

I believe I will be selling my ATH ES7's to partially fund these as I have been getting tired of weird looks at work over not wearing something inconspicous and I think these sound as good or better than the ES7's.

Now how to tell my wife I spent another $120
redface.gif

Welcome to the S4 club. I agree, somehow Klipsch really got it right with these dynamics, their first in-ear pair. It does take some time for the treble to settle in (and please, no one post any more about the burn-in being psychological). Best thing, they sound even nicer with UM56 custom sleeves, which I have for the UM3X. I used the large single gels when I got them, but now prefer the Shure soft flex, but most of the time, the UM56s. No matter which sleeves, they are comfy.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #93 of 629
tstarn,
I was going to ask you; if you really believe that they need a burn-in time :) I hope you know I was just joking.. Have you ever watch "Fawlty Towers" with John Cleese, sorry "don't mention the war" etc. Just reminds me of that..
But back to the point You have made very me curious about trying these out, I just need another decent IEM for brief casual wear, so I may pull the trigger on behalf of your praise and description of sound signature. But please promise me I won't be disappointed...

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #94 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by wow416 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For people suffering with too much bass
try the larger tip with the headphones
It solved my problem
with the M tips, it felt like there was more bass as it is close to the ear drums i guess.
But when I tried the L tips, sound stage sounds much bigger and the bass was tighter and the boominess went away.
This is kinda common sense but it was a solution for me so
everything else is great now
biggrin.gif

I was a little overwhelmed coming from SCL3 lol base anemic
These phones are definitely fun to use.
biggrin.gif

I had a hard time choosing between the Westone UM2 and this and I'm with this now
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm actually using the Large tips already (seemed to give me a better seal and therefore fuller sound). I guess I just don't like much bass, heh. I'm so used to the Bose signature, bass-heavy sound (because I got a few Bose items as gifts; not that I'm complaining), and I'm just starting to get sick of it. Actually, it isn't just Bose, now that I think about it. All of my headphones have a pretty strong bass component to them... didn't even really think about it before.

Now the question is, will I be able to accept the RE0's which purportedly have a weaker bass. Guess I'll find out.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #95 of 629
I was wondering when people would catch-on to these great phones... Looks like it's started in earnest. They are the most comfortable iems I've tried and they are great in an everyday-all day kind of way.

But to placate tstarn06, I'm not going to say anything about the necessary burn-in period to achieve optimum sound presentation... Lol

Kudos to Klipsch for an awesome set of phones!

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #96 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn,
I was going to ask you; if you really believe that they need a burn-in time :) I hope you know I was just joking.. Have you ever watch "Fawlty Towers" with John Cleese, sorry "don't mention the war" etc. Just reminds me of that..
But back to the point You have made very me curious about trying these out, I just need another decent IEM for brief casual wear, so I may pull the trigger on behalf of your praise and description of sound signature. But please promise me I won't be disappointed...

Have every Basil Fawlty adventure/episode in my DVD collection. So, yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Hope you won't be disappointed. This might help. Last night, I listened the modded Amp3 I have in my possession (thinking about buying it) with the S4s (UM56 tips) and I was amazed at the SQ coming through these $79 phones. As you know from the Amp3 thread, these are the only IEMs that don't hiss from the ones I own, so they are really important on that front (Amp3) alone. Since you own the Amp3, I thought I would mention it.

Seems the S4s and Amp3 were made for each other, but only after "extended play time," if you catch my drift.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #97 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering when people would catch-on to these great phones... Looks like it's started in earnest. They are the most comfortable iems I've tried and they are great in an everyday-all day kind of way.

But to placate tstarn06, I'm not going to say anything about the necessary burn-in period to achieve optimum sound presentation... Lol

Kudos to Klipsch for an awesome set of phones!

I am sure the FOTM tag will appear someplace soon, but I don't really care. For $79, it would be hard to find a more ear-pleasing IEM in my view. To repeat once more, I didn't even like them much out of the box.

I think you nailed it though, they are great in an "everyday" kind of way, but last night, with the Amp3 and UM56 sleeves, they even might have gone to the next level. The sleeves do seem to really enhance their best aspects.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #98 of 629
I think my favorite aspect of the S4's sound is the mids. I haven't heard mids from an IEM yet (until these) that has sounded 'right'. The C710's are close, but these have it nailed it seems. Very nice. As an example, while listening to a very familiar Beck song yesterday, I picked up a moment where he quietly cleared his throat as he finished a lyric while backing away from the mic.... had never heard that before on any of my other phones.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #99 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my favorite aspect of the S4's sound is the mids. I haven't heard mids from an IEM yet (until these) that has sounded 'right'. The C710's are close, but these have it nailed it seems. Very nice. As an example, while listening to a very familiar Beck song yesterday, I picked up a moment where he quietly cleared his throat as he finished a lyric while backing away from the mic.... had never heard that before on any of my other phones.

X2 There is a clarity to the mids that sometimes just grabs me and forces me to shift from just listening to listening critically. I don't mean this in a bad way. Suddenly it's an "Oh wow, that was great" moment. I hesitate to call it an epiphany, but I guess it borders on that.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #100 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you nailed it though, they are great in an "everyday" kind of way, but last night, with the Amp3 and UM56 sleeves, they even might have gone to the next level. The sleeves do seem to really enhance their best aspects.

Man, that's great!

My BB2.02 doesn't enhance them at all, IMO. I really like the amp with my PL11s and my PL30/50s, but there isn't any symbiosis with it and the S4. When I finish my Mini3, I plan on checking it out with the S4s, of course, but I am happy using them unamped, at least for the moment...

And I refuse to acknowledge the UM56 sleeves being of any benefit right now (as I chant silently: I will not buy these sleeves, I will not buy these sleeves) as my wife is currently speaking to me...civilly that is.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #103 of 629
I just picked up a pair of these today since I've been in the market for a sub-$100 IEM for travel/fun.

So far I'm not sure what to think. They have a very warm midrange, decent highs but the bass seems boomy and overwhelming. I'm still playing with tips though so maybe the bass issue will go away.

To be honest they do sound similar to my UM-2s, though the Westone's have much more realistic believable bass that isn't at all muddy sounding. The Klipsch's have better mids though, no doubt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back