Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #856 of 1,468
Yeah I agree with everything you said. I do like the fact that the HP3 is the best Klipsch has produced and is essentially a trophy piece for years.
Nice ear trophy for sure. I just had an amazing listening session with the HP-3. If you want to hear the HP-3 shine, and you enjoy well done electronica go to Bandcamp, purchase via name your price Bluetech's 15 anniversary remastering of Prima Materia. That album is wall to wall sonic goodness. In fact, he is selling his entire 20 album collection for $5 US!! What a steal, there are several exceptional releases such as Prima Materia, Sines and Singularities, and Phoenix Rising. Absolutely worth the money and very well engineered with quality samples used.

It is very early on, but I do have to say that I am absolutely enamored with the HP-3 and I haven't experienced this for a few years now, but everyday I am looking forward to coming home to get some head time with these headphones. Absolutely love the look and I thought for a time that I was done with wood enclosure headphones, but Klipsch and ZMF have convinced me otherwise. Wish I could also afford a ZMF model to have on hand to compare and enjoy, but not in the cards.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #857 of 1,468
In some ways I like that. While I do love new efforts being made, I often think new offerings are just incrementalism and tinkering with sound signatures without a real ethos of what they are trying to achieve. Zach at ZMF obviously bucks this trend and creates signatures he is pursuing, signatures that compel him and it really seems that the HP-3 fits into that mold very well, the pursuit of something meaningful. I would worry that the reason for a new offering from Klipsch would be to simply build on the momentum and capture marketshare. The HP-3 is a statement of craft and special, as was the Sony Z1R in my opinion (with clearly different approaches).

It can also be nice to own something that you know will likely represent the state of the craft for a company for a number of years and be let alone to bask and mature into the history of the hobby/industry.
On close inspection, it resembles a cross between the Denon D7000 and the EnigmaAcoustics Dharma D1000.
upload_2019-2-11_22-0-25.jpeg

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #858 of 1,468
Wow............first off, I'm not big on cool carrying boxes but that wood presentation box that houses the HP-3 is IMPRESSIVE as heck. Talk about quality................

First impressions after unboxing and setting up the cable (used the long one) is as impressive as the packaging. Only listened about 45 minutes last night right out of the box but I can definitely say these are keepers. Very strong bass, crisp treble and the soundstaging/imaging is excellent with these headphones. Comfort is excellent as well, with a nice clamp that is just right for me and ear pads (which I thought might be not deep enough at first glance) are excellent.

Glad I took the plunge...............got them for just under $1K and they are way more my style than the Ether 2 was that I tried a couple of months ago.

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #859 of 1,468
Three days in and feel it's much like the Pioneer SE Master 1 in a couple of key area. Sound is very similar - think it may have better imaging and the bass is outstanding on both.

The other thing is the lack of attention these both get - it's interesting how some headphones get sssooooooooooooo much attention, some not justified, and others, like both the Pioneer and this Klipsch, have a very small following. Yes, it's people's loss but just interesting how message boards can make or break a product.

They both are, to me, clearly better than the Ether 2, and in the case of the HP-3, half the cost, yet that gets so much publicity and has many more pages of replies while only being on the market for a short while. Shows me you can't believe the hype train............

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #860 of 1,468
Three days in and feel it's much like the Pioneer SE Master 1 in a couple of key area. Sound is very similar - think it may have better imaging and the bass is outstanding on both.

The other thing is the lack of attention these both get - it's interesting how some headphones get sssooooooooooooo much attention, some not justified, and others, like both the Pioneer and this Klipsch, have a very small following. Yes, it's people's loss but just interesting how message boards can make or break a product.

They both are, to me, clearly better than the Ether 2, and in the case of the HP-3, half the cost, yet that gets so much publicity and has many more pages of replies while only being on the market for a short while. Shows me you can't believe the hype train............

I own all three and well... YMMV. lol

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #861 of 1,468
Different strokes for different folks. I haven't heard the Ether 2 yet, but given my experience with the original Ether, unless it was very different, personally I would prefer the more lush, and coloured signature of the HP-3, but that is my preference at this point, who knows in a year what I will say. Although, I have been moving steadily towards a well down warm signature for a few years now so I suspect this is a lasting trend.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #862 of 1,468
I own all three and well... YMMV. lol
I'd be really curious on what your thoughts are with HP3 versus the Pioneer and the Ether. Never heard either and only own the HP3. That's a pretty diverse 3 HP line-up you got there. Not too popular I guess you can say. LOL

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #863 of 1,468

Truer words couldn't be spoken. We should just be lucky we have this small little club of Head-Fiers who know what a good headphone sounds like. It's our secret. LOL
Yeah, I don't get it. Just because popular opinion states one thing, doesn't mean it's gospel. There's just too many people who haven't even given the HP3 a listen to give them a chance. I'm confident most will be pleasantly surprised. I've owned and auditioned quite a bit that's out there and I'll stand steadfast and say these are my favorite for sure. We all know they're not neutral and analytical but just a fun, relaxing and organic sound signature where EVERYTHING sound good. No matter what HP I listen too, it just seems I'll listen to one set for a bit but always eventually grab the HP-3.....like clockwork.
It's just a shame hardly anyone owns these, because more then likely, they never even auditioned them.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #864 of 1,468
This is a funny hobby. I am stealing the thoughts of someone else on another forum within Head-Fi, but why is it we value and worship headphones that are considered analytical, neutral, etc. and we consider the opposite to be fun and relaxing? Is that not why we want to have a headphone, to relax, enjoy music, and have fun? It is funny to think that a fun and engaging headphone is considered the "negative" opposite to neutral and analytical. I have the HP-3, was amazed after listening for the first hour, and think they are an amazing headphone. But, this is a subjective hobby.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #865 of 1,468
This is a funny hobby. I am stealing the thoughts of someone else on another forum within Head-Fi, but why is it we value and worship headphones that are considered analytical, neutral, etc. and we consider the opposite to be fun and relaxing? Is that not why we want to have a headphone, to relax, enjoy music, and have fun? It is funny to think that a fun and engaging headphone is considered the "negative" opposite to neutral and analytical. I have the HP-3, was amazed after listening for the first hour, and think they are an amazing headphone. But, this is a subjective hobby.
No kidding man. I like my sound to be as close to “natural” as possible but with some fun snuck in there. I’d never own a headphone just because it’s as neutral as it can be. I don’t listen to a headphone, I listen to the music through the headphone.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #866 of 1,468
any comparisons between hp3 vs oppo pm1 would be great thanks.

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #867 of 1,468
My memory of the PM1 was very positive. I would say that from memory both are musical and engaging, but the HP-3 has more weight and texture to the notes, but the PM1 would be more balanced with the lower frequencies being less prominent and likely cleaner sounding. The HP-3 is meant to be bold and engaging, and it achieves this (primarily) in my view by the weightiness of the notes. You lose some clarity, but you gain texture in my view so it depends what you value most. You really should grab the HP-3 from Amazon if you can and take advantage of the return period to protect you.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #868 of 1,468
The HP-3 makes music sound happy.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #869 of 1,468
Strangely enough the hp3 is not that well known in the UK. Understandable being a US company i suppose.

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #870 of 1,468
Strangely enough the hp3 is not that well known in the UK. Understandable being a US company i suppose.

Well............it's not that well known in the US either! :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back