Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #826 of 1,468
TH900 vs HP3. Can anyone please give a rough numerical comparison on soundstage size, subbass impact (tactility, rumble, etc, WITH EQ) and quality of mids? Doesn’t have to be precise, just trying to get a feel for how hard the HP3 hits, how big the stage is, and which has “better” mids.

Having a tough time deciding between the two for primary use as a gaming/movie headphone. Music wise I like strings and female vocals though so timbre and “musicality” are important for mids I reckon.

I’d throw the Atticus in there too if possible, though I’ve nearly eliminitated from my contest due to less subbass and smaller stage.

For reference, I’m coming from THX00. It’s the only “good” headphone I’ve heard so I don’t really have a clue what the extra $700 will get me.

Thoughts and opinions are highly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #827 of 1,468
This is a pretty solid and detailed review and comparison to the Atticus, even though I’d rate them a bit better then @grizzlybeat does.

By the way, I think the Atticus has great sub bass and is somewhat masked by its awesome mid bass tuning

http://earphiles.org/2017/12/klipsch-heritage-hp-3-review/

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #828 of 1,468
Let’s spark some life into this thread since I’m probably the latest owner of these fine headphones and no one has participated in this thread forever. Question: Does anyone own these anymore or is everyone still upset with the moves Klipsch made with personal? I agree with everything everyone said basically but he put a lot of work into these and we should honor his name in the product he developed. Or is it that no one likes them and really don’t want a headphone at this retail that most definitely isn’t a neutral tuned headphone for audiophiles?

PC>Gumby MB gen 5>Mjolnir2>1958 2C51 western electric ( currently) and fully balanced.

Right off the bat with my first listen, I “really” liked them A LOT, much more then the AFO that I traded to own these. They’re a very fun sound signature.

This headphone is close to basshead territory but not fat or bloated. Most times it doesn’t bleed into the mids or treble but it depends on the track your listening too and how it was mastered. I mean it can get a bit slow and thick at times but I’m hearing that mostly in what track/band I’m listening too.

Overall the bass sounds great and they’re a lot of fun to rock out on. The subbass can really dig down deep, is pretty tight and clean while rattling my head. Midbass is nice and presents an overall warm sound signature with extended treble and thumping bass. Kind of an oxymoron but it is.

They’ve got really good stage, expansive and especially pleasing in the width. They’re dynamic, detailed and very refined especially stacked up against the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts. They’re spot on and absolutely perfect for the type of music I listen too. They've got really nice separation on all the busy passages in most of the progressive metal tracks I listen too. I also listen to a lot of instrumental progressive metal which really helps with the vocals.

The mids, they definitely can be recessed at times with the bass and treble taking front and center stage but that’s what you get with a V shaped sig. The distorted guitars are crunchy, crisp and just monstrous. The kick drum is pretty tight and sounds quite realistic. The snare hits are snappy and on point. The high hat and especially the crash and ride don’t provoke any type of sibilance to my ears. I can hear the separation between notes with a TON of air while it stays pretty tight.

I think the treble is tight actually and the sibilance I continue to read about?.... I don’t hear it and I’m sensitive to brightness and sibilance, hence the reason I own the ZMF Ori and Atticus, LCD-2C, HD650 and Meze 99 Classic which I use for portable. The HP-3 are fully burned in though.

Theres much better headphones that excel in imaging but they’re nice and good enough for me.

This is not a critical listening type headphone and excel at kicking back, rocking out, getting lost in its musicality and for our fun enjoyment.

I don’t know if i’d would pay $1200 for them. Maybe $899/ $999 new? But after a lot more quality headtime, I might change my mind.

I did own the Fostex TH900 ( traded close to a year ago maybe) and tonthe best of recollection, the sub bass reaches into the abyss pretty close to the 900’s but not as tight and fast, close though. The midbass is much better on the HP-3 along with a more relaxed treble which I think is its biggest attribute comparing to the 900. In the grand scheme of things (this is sacrilege) I like them more then the 900 after I now own them and going off memory from a year ago.

They’re also great for live music. I feel like I’m there with it’s nice reverb, realistic imaging and dynamic like a live show.

After some headtime (this now really sucks) they really make the Atticus and Ori sound so freakin warm now. Haha. I love the Atty and Ori but won’t be swapping immediately between the HP-3 or either ZMF’s or ever getting rid of them. The ZMF housesound is I’m preferred tuning and can see myself picking up a few different other variants. But I’ll definitely be keeping the Klipsch. They’re a great compliment to everything else in my stable while being a major upgrade to the TH-X00 Purpleheart.

They seem to pair well with my gear especially running with a NOS 1950’s 2c51 Western Electric as they’re a pretty warm tube. I got a lot of warm tubes so I should be set. I don’t own a SS amp so I couldn’t even say how they sound running with say something like a Jot or Gilmore lite as an example.

If anyone actually came to this thread, thanks for taking the time to read my humble take on these fine headphones.

Here’s some Measurements courtesy of @cskippy comparing them with the AFO I traded.

upload_2018-10-22_6-54-36.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #829 of 1,468
Let’s spark some life into this thread since I’m probably the latest owner of these fine headphones and no one participated in this thread. Does anyone own these anymore or is everyone still upset with the moves Klipsch made with personal? I agree with everyone but he put a lot of work into these and we should honor his name in the product he basically developed. Or is it that no one likes them and really don’t want a headphone at this retail that most definitely aren’t a neutral tuned headphone for audiophiles?

PC>Gumby MB gen 5>Mjolnir2>1958 2C51 western electric ( currently) and fully balanced.

Right off the bat with my first listen, I “really” liked them A LOT, much more then the AFO that I traded to own these. They’re a very fun sound signature.

This headphone is close to basshead territory but not fat or bloated. Most times it doesn’t bleed into the mids or treble but it depends on the track your listening too and how it was mastered. I mean it can get a bit slow and thick at times but I’m hearing that mostly in what track/band I’m listening too.

Overall the bass sounds great and they’re a lot of fun to rock out on. The subbass can really dig down deep, is pretty tight and clean while rattling my head. Midbass is nice and presents an overall warm sound signature with extended treble and thumping bass. Kind of an oxymoron but it is.

They’ve got really good stage, expansive and especially pleasing in the width. They’re dynamic, detailed and very refined especially stacked up against the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts. They’re spot on and absolutely perfect for the type of music I listen too. They've got really nice separation on all the busy passages in most of the progressive metal tracks I listen too. I also listen to a lot of instrumental progressive metal which really helps with the vocals.

The mids, they definitely can be recessed at times with the bass and treble taking front and center stage but that’s what you get with a V shaped sig. The distorted guitars are crunchy, crisp and just monstrous. The kick drum is pretty tight and sounds quite realistic. The snare hits are snappy and on point. The high hat and especially the crash and ride don’t provoke any type of sibilance to my ears. I can hear the separation between notes with a TON of air while it stays pretty tight.

I think the treble is tight actually and the sibilance I continue to read about?.... I don’t hear it and I’m sensitive to brightness and sibilance, hence the reason I own the ZMF Ori and Atticus, LCD-2C, HD650 and Meze 99 Classic which I use for portable. The HP-3 are fully burned in though.

Theres much better headphones that excel in imaging but they’re nice and good enough for me.

This is not a critical listening type headphone and excel at kicking back, rocking out, getting lost in its musicality and for our fun enjoyment.

I don’t know if i’d would pay $1200 for them. Maybe $899/ $999 new? But after a lot more quality headtime, I might change my mind.

I did own the Fostex TH900 ( traded close to a year ago maybe) and the best I can recollect, the sub bass reaches into the abyss the the 900’s but not as tight and fast, close though. I missbass is much better on the HP-3 along with a more relaxed treble which I think is its biggest attribute comparing to the 900. In the grand scheme of things (this is sacrilege) I like them more then the 900 after I now own them and going off memory.

They’re also great for live music.i feel like I’m there with it’s nice reverb, realistic imaging and dynamic like a live show.

After some headtime (this now really sucks) they really make the Atticus and Ori sound so freakin warm now. Haha. I love the Atty and Ori but won’t be swapping immediately between the HP-3 or either ZMF’s or ever getting rid of them. The ZMF housesound is I’m preferred tuning and can see myself picking up a few different other variants. But I’ll definitely be keeping the Klipsch. They’re a great compliment to everything else in my stable while being a major upgrade to the TH-X00 Purpleheart.

They seem to pair well with my gear especially running with a NOS 1950’s 2c51 Western Electric as they’re a pretty warm tube. I got a lot of warm tubes so I should be set. I don’t own a SS amp so I couldn’t even say how they sound running with say something like a Jot or Gilmore lite as an example.

If anyone actually came to this thread, thanks for taking the time to read my humble take on these fine headphones.

Here’s some Measurements courtesy of @cskippy comparing them with the AFO I traded.

Cheers!

Thanks for the thoughts, very helpful.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #830 of 1,468
Let’s spark some life into this thread since I’m probably the latest owner of these fine headphones and no one participated in this thread. Does anyone own these anymore or is everyone still upset with the moves Klipsch made with personal? I agree with everyone but he put a lot of work into these and we should honor his name in the product he basically developed. Or is it that no one likes them and really don’t want a headphone at this retail that most definitely aren’t a neutral tuned headphone for audiophiles?

I did own the Fostex TH900 ( traded close to a year ago maybe) and the best I can recollect, the sub bass reaches into the abyss the the 900’s but not as tight and fast, close though. I missbass is much better on the HP-3 along with a more relaxed treble which I think is its biggest attribute comparing to the 900. In the grand scheme of things (this is sacrilege) I like them more then the 900 after I now own them and going off memory.

They’re also great for live music.i feel like I’m there with it’s nice reverb, realistic imaging and dynamic like a live show.

Cheers!

Great recap and thanks for doing that. Sounds a little like the Pioneer SE Master 1 - I've wanted to try the Klipsch and maybe I will if I ever find a used version on sale.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #831 of 1,468
Great recap and thanks for doing that. Sounds a little like the Pioneer SE Master 1 - I've wanted to try the Klipsch and maybe I will if I ever find a used version on sale.

I've got both the SEM1 and HP-3. The SEM1 extends higher, has better mids, more detail retrieval and a bigger overall soundstage. The HP-3's extend further in the low end, but both are similarly punchy and aggressive sounding. They are more similar than different.

The accessory/presentation package is one of the best I've seen for any headphones. Also the build quality is quite fantastic. I managed to snag a brand new pair of Ebay for $600, which is quite a bargain IMO.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #832 of 1,468
I have an HP-3 on hand and I will give it a few weeks at most to decide if I will keep it. Quite a bit to like for sure, but I like to be more cautious as my return to school has made funds for audio purchases rather scarce. So far I do really like the HP-3.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #833 of 1,468
I have an HP-3 on hand and I will give it a few weeks at most to decide if I will keep it. Quite a bit to like for sure, but I like to be more cautious as my return to school has made funds for audio purchases rather scarce. So far I do really like the HP-3.

Look forward to your thoughts on it's voicing and for my curiosity, the bass in general and maybe compared to your Pioneer. I'm thinking the SE Master 1 and the Klipsch may be similar based on what I read but your opinion would be very helpful.

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #834 of 1,468
Look forward to your thoughts on it's voicing and for my curiosity, the bass in general and maybe compared to your Pioneer. I'm thinking the SE Master 1 and the Klipsch may be similar based on what I read but your opinion would be very helpful.

I have both and the Pioneer's are far more extended in the high frequencies. I wish the HP-3's extended a little more.

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #835 of 1,468
I have just received a used pair of HP-3's today. What I did purchase recently that helps on headphones is the Schiit Loki. It really helps open up sound where there are gaps, depending on your hearing and taste.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #836 of 1,468
The bass on the Pioneer is cleaner and more detailed, but the HP-3 has a lovely tonality and real weight behind it that is very hard to not get draw into. The Pioneer is for certain far closer to neutral, and I still love it, very much, but I have a penchant for some warmer tones down low. If somebody really wants the most detail and speed in the bass response no doubt the Pioneer will get them closer, but the HP-3 is just a straight up musically engaging signature with a very visceral bass response. I worried that with the HP-3 moving things like voices and strings more upfront that it would be fatiguing over time, luckily so far that has not at all been the case. You shed detail, but I really do think that you gain musicality so ultimately it would depend on which you value more. Listening to things like Negative Girl by Steely Dan for example there is a repeating guitar line that is panned around sneaking in and out of the background. With the Pioneer the guitar line sounds likely more true to the recording (I have heard it for years on many headphones and speaker systems) the Klipsch gives it a little fuzz, rather sounds like the difference between a tube guitar amp versus a solid state amp so absolutely some detail is lost, but the reward is texture and timbre. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but I do have to say that I think it has a more live feel, sorry to use a buzz-word description.

I was thinking while listening to the HP-3 that it was like a well done Grado, but finally with some bass, better treble and just all round weight to the notes which I am a bit of a sucker for. That is how I am hearing things so far. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #837 of 1,468
I very much enjoy the sound of the HP-3 and likely will buy the unit I have on hand here. I get that they are deliberately tuned/coloured, but at this point in my audio quest, I really gravitate to this tuning approach. To the poster who a few posts above who implied the tuning was bad and couldn't understand how Klipsch ended up with the final sound signature. I absolutely respect your right and subjective preferences, but try to keep in mind that many people really like the HP-3 tuning, but certainly not everyone will. Maybe in a year I will feel differently, but currently as it stands, driving the HP-3 right from my NAD M3 via speaker tap cable, I am really enjoying this musically engaging signature. Is it perfect, certainly not, but I really enjoy it nonetheless and I think many people would.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #838 of 1,468
Although I have only had the HP-3 for a couple of days now, I just love the sound. I listen to a lot of live Dave Matthews Band music and these headphones make the sound fun and makes me feel totally submersed within the music. As the comment above touches on, sound is personal. You have a source, lots of equipment between and then your ears. The source and the ears are the two weakest links in the chain and because our ears are far from perfect, everyone likes a different sound. As stated, my mind will likely changes as it does every 6 months, but right now with classic rock sound these headphones are amazing to me.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #839 of 1,468
The above 2 comments are spot on. I’ve had mine now for about 4+ months and still haven’t tired of the sound signature. I change up all the time swapping/trading/selling HP’s all the time and I feel these will be keepers for a very long time or maybe forever? I like them that much. I feel like I’m at a live concert every time I slap them over my ears.

I’m not going to get into again as I already posted some pretty detailed impressions at the top of this page. I will say though that my opinion and what I wrote has not swayed one bit and actually, I like them more then when I first got them. These headphones and the ZMF house sound is right in my wheelhouse. I’m not into a clinical sound per say so that’s why the HP3 does it for me.

I own the Focal Clear (trying to trade them for an Eikon) and even though they’re an excellent HP, I’ll take the HP3 100 out of 100 times.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #840 of 1,468
Have to say, imperfect as it is, the bass on the HP-3 is impressive for sure. It may give up some detail and likely a little speed, but personally I find it has some pretty serious impact and is definitely not one note droning bass that you often get with really over-cooked, one trick pony bass cans. This is an audiophile interpretation of what a fun and unapologetically musical signature can be. Personally I really like that Klipsch took this route, some courage to make a new signature. For me, the quest for neutrality means you only really need one headphone company to make one model and tune it as flat as possible. Yawn, ever so dull a world without colour would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back