Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #886 of 1,468
Apr 5, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #887 of 1,468
Apr 5, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #888 of 1,468
I use the cables from my AK T1p (Beyerdynamic) in my Klipsch HP-3. They stick out a bit but they clip in and are balanced. I have them terminated in 4.4 so they fit my DX208 and by adapter to 2.5mm or xlr out from the senn amp.

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #889 of 1,468
I have aftermarket balanced cables for my elears, forgot to mention that
Considering the Elear cables are like fire hoses..............gotta agree with you!

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #890 of 1,468
FYI fellow HP-3 owners................I found the one area that could be improved is the comfort of the headband - it's not awful but it's not as comfy as I prefer with my other headphones. My Pioneer SE Master 1 has a suspension style, and my Denon LA7000, very similar in headband to the HP-3, has a Sennheiser HD-650 headband pad mounted to it that I put on a few years back. Ordered one of the HD-650 pads off Amazon and installed it with some quality rubberized 3M double stick tape to the underside of the HP-3 headband. Definitely an improvement.

May 7, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #891 of 1,468
I'll be getting my HP-3 on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to hearing them. I've bought a few headphones over the past few months (LCD-2C, Nightowl, and Sendy Aiva) so I'm going to enjoy seeing how these compare and if what I've read and seen about them holds true I'm guessing I'm really going to like them a lot.

May 7, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #892 of 1,468
I'll be getting my HP-3 on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to hearing them. I've bought a few headphones over the past few months (LCD-2C, Nightowl, and Sendy Aiva) so I'm going to enjoy seeing how these compare and if what I've read and seen about them holds true I'm guessing I'm really going to like them a lot.
Sweet, please let us know how you like them. I am still very, very glad I acquired an HP-3 (thanks to the generosity of a friend) and I intend to keep them as the beginning of my permanent collection which I hope to build up. In the past I typically sell headphones after at most two years, often after one year, but I the HP-3 is so lovely and voiced in such a way that I can see myself always wanting to reach for it, at least sometimes. It also helps that I personally love the look and feel that the HP-3 is part art object. I accept that it is not neutral sounding, that is intentional and I personally love the approach. What finish did you get?

May 7, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #893 of 1,468
Well if you like/love them as much as I do, you’ll never be reaching for anything else you own. Personally, I think this HP is crazily underrated. I absolutely love the way it’s tuned. PLEASE give us your take when you get them.

May 7, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #894 of 1,468
Ditto. You won't regret it.

Currently I feed them with DX200Ti through the Little Bear and this is now my go to desktop setup. Fabulous. Soon though I will have the Dx220.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #895 of 1,468
I think you'll enjoy them over your current collection of headphones. The LCD-2C's you have are pretty good sounding headphones. I rate my HP-3's higher than my LCD-2CB's because of their musical tuning. Bass levels are par with each other. But planar headphones in general have more slam. There's exception here

May 7, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #896 of 1,468
I think you'll enjoy them over your current collection of headphones. The LCD-2C's you have are pretty good sounding headphones. I rate my HP-3's higher than my LCD-2CB's because of their musical tuning. Bass levels are par with each other. But planar headphones in general have more slam. There's exception here
I own both the HP3 and LCD2C and to my hearing, the HP3 stands head and shoulders above the 2c in the bass department quality and quantity wise. The Audeze just has less distortion in the bass.

May 7, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #897 of 1,468
I own both the HP3 and LCD2C and to my hearing, the HP3 stands head and shoulders above the 2c in the bass department quality and quantity wise. The Audeze just has less distortion in the bass.
The HP-3’s are very good and they are not getting a lot of recognition. They do so many things well. I just wish more people could hear them to discover what we are finding out about them.

May 8, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #898 of 1,468
I recently got a pair of HP-3s and am absolutely loving them. I always like when companies not completely dedicated to headphones put out headphones, because they have the balls to tune them in a way that headphone-exclusive companies don't. They aren't trying to hit every technical achievement, they're not making an audio engineering tool, and they aren't trying to work within the same creative confines that other companies are in. I think it really pays off beautifully here. They're so mellow, and musical, but it's not like they're in a haze. They takes the edge off some of my more poorly mastered music, but don't lack for detail or sparkle. The treble is really handled in a lovely way.

The bass is very impressive, too. A great deal of impact, with very good extension. Yeah, maybe it's not as tight or fast as it could be, but it has a very engaging presence, and a little bass bloom never hurt anybody. It's not like it's sluggish though, it doesn't turn into a muddy mess if you have a lot going on, it's just not planar fast.

I think the mids are where a great deal of their character comes from. Similar to the Z1R, they have a bit of a rise in the lower mids giving them a fuller sound. This rise seems to increase as it goes into the bass, making the transition (at least on paper) less than ideal. To my ear, however, that "rough" transition sounds wonderful. I've heard only a handful of wood headphones, and I feel this area might be where wood-cupped headphones get that character. Whether that's actually the case or a psychoacoustic phenomenon I couldn't really say, but it plays to the character of the headphone inside and out.

I feel if I had never heard the HE-500, this headphone would have the largest soundstage I've heard. I suspect it must be hard to design a headphone with a warmer sound, yet still have a large soundstage, as too few headphones have this sound. Imaging is also very good, with a nice sense of 3d space. I think it's especially impressive considering this isn't a fully open headphone.

These headphones are a real winner, and they make me curious to try out the Heritage Amp. I don't need any more amps, though...

May 9, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #899 of 1,468
^Very well said mate and I couldn't agree more with you. I also really enjoyed the KEF M500 when I owned it. Oppo I think had the same effect when they waded into things with the PM1,2 and 3.

May 9, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #900 of 1,468
I'm a little disappointed my Z1R cables don't work with the HP-3. They'd fit perfectly, since the ear cup yoke is basically the same. But the connector on the Z1R is a 3-pole and the HP-3 is a 2-pole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back