Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
May 9, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #901 of 1,468
I'm a little disappointed my Z1R cables don't work with the HP-3. They'd fit perfectly, since the ear cup yoke is basically the same. But the connector on the Z1R is a 3-pole and the HP-3 is a 2-pole.
Are you sure those cables won't work? I have some 3 pole cables from my AK phones and they work fine. I talked with Custom Cans about this while ordering cables for HP-3 and found that it doesn't matter.

May 9, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #902 of 1,468
Are you sure those cables won't work? I have some 3 pole cables from my AK phones and they work fine. I talked with Custom Cans about this while ordering cables for HP-3 and found that it doesn't matter.

Well, for whatever reason no sound comes out. Figured it had to do with the connectors. Tried with both the unbalanced and balanced cables.

May 9, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #903 of 1,468
Well, for whatever reason no sound comes out. Figured it had to do with the connectors. Tried with both the unbalanced and balanced cables.
OK, I don't know what your connectors look like but the ones I'm using are 3.5mm three pole extended length. They do need to be inserted with a little force until they click in there but they work.

I have them terminated in 4.4 mm so I can use them with ibasso amp8 and I use an adapter to 2.5mm for everything else.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #904 of 1,468
Hmm, so three pole does work. I tried using my Aventho's cable and it worked just fine. I did get the Z1R cables to work, but only if I didn't have the plug all the way in. So maybe the Z1R uses a different TRS arrangement?

May 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #906 of 1,468
Has anyone tried the klipsch hp-3 with the Sony TA-ZH1ES that can provide feedback?
Thanks
It will sound good. Amps and DACS really don't affect the sound very much despite what is commonly said. If there is enough power, and the DAC implementation is done right most gear under these circumstances will sound like most other gear. There can be times when for a signature a designer attempts to colour the sound via an amplifier or DAC design, but I can't imagine this being the norm. I have found personally that by far and away what makes the most difference in any audio chain is the headphone. So really, the TA-ZH1ES should sound great. I find my FiiO Q5 powers the HP-3 wonderfully and sounds excellent. When I don't use the Q5 I drive the HP-3 right from speaker taps from my NAD M3 which is quite a technically competent integrated amplifier and I really can't say if I notice any difference. The few times that I think I hear a difference could very easily be explained by expectation, but maybe there is a difference, but if so, it is a very small difference. Just my thoughts, but really the Sony should sound fantastic, no reason that it wouldn't.

May 10, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #907 of 1,468
Hello Head-Fi,

My name is Steve, I am the VP and GM for Digital, Streaming and Portable Audio Solutions at Klipsch.

We are working on a premium line of high end on and over ear HP. Our current target is between $399-1199 retail.

If you give us some help, we will give you some sneak peeks at what we plan to build and potentially some contests and more exciting stuff.

So...lets start a discussion about what you would like to see in a premium selection from Klipsch. What features, technology, and accessories are important to you?

All the Best,

Steve
At that price range they need to come with a 4.4mm balanced cable AND sound good.

May 10, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #908 of 1,468
I can understand whole heartedly there should be a balanced cable included but they sound bad? Come on man. They sound excellent. They’re very musical and were NEVER tuned to be neutral. Every review anywhere including here, pretty much sums it up on its sound signature. If you bought it, didn’t audition it or read even read 1 review, that's on you if it doesn’t fit your preferred sound signature. If you just listened to it and that’s all and didn’t like it, cool as you have an opinion like all of us. But please don’t write such vague comments with no meat on the bone and insinuate they sound bad with zero substance.

Edit: Hmm.
It’s funny, rereading what you posted, I read it differently then what you wrote. You were saying they DO sound good but need a balanced cable. My apologize for misinterpreting what you meant and wrote.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #909 of 1,468
Well I've got only few hours on them and so far I'm really enjoying how they sound. I like the fact I don't have anything that sounds like they do and I also really like the highs which are bright but not so much so they sound harsh. Also the bass is perfect with just the right amount of slam and enough sub-bass. So far so good, oh, and I couldn't believe how heavy the case was, they spared no expense with that thing.

May 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #910 of 1,468
^Totally felt the same way about the sound signature being just different enough to be unique while still remaining accurate enough to not over-step and be too coloured/unique sounding.

May 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #911 of 1,468
These are a really fun sounding headphone with plenty of accuracy and detail. They have just enough color to not be boring and a almost perfect size soundstage. When you take into account the build quality which is phenomenal make the HP-3 a really good value for money compared to other high-end headphones imo and I'm glad I got these over other headphones I was looking at.

May 14, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #912 of 1,468
These are a really fun sounding headphone with plenty of accuracy and detail. They have just enough color to not be boring and a almost perfect size soundstage. When you take into account the build quality which is phenomenal make the HP-3 a really good value for money compared to other high-end headphones imo and I'm glad I got these over other headphones I was looking at.
Nice, glad that the HP-3 is working so well for you.

May 14, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #913 of 1,468
Nice, glad that the HP-3 is working so well for you.
I second that. We’re a very small group and IMO, a lucky one. I believe a lot of people are afraid to give these a chance because they’re a speaker company making a headphone. I have a friend who told me to stay away before I took that blind leap of faith. Man, I’m so glad I blew off his opinion and advice. If only everyone knew and give them a listen they’d be so pleasantly surprised. It did take Focal a while to gain traction but the difference between them and Klipsch, they kept introducing new HP’s where Klipsch basically has this. These are excellent (my opinion of course) and truly are a TOTL headphone. They’re still my go-to’s!!

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #914 of 1,468
So true.............these, like the Pioneer SE Master 1, get NO love. Loved the HP-3 even tho I traded it to Kukuk for his LCD-2C (the HP-3 and Pioneer are voiced SO similar it was redundant to me and well, felt it was time to try another headphone). I'll never understand it............but glad we aren't sheep and follow the masses.

May 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #915 of 1,468
I second that. We’re a very small group and IMO, a lucky one. I believe a lot of people are afraid to give these a chance because they’re a speaker company making a headphone. I have a friend who told me to stay away before I took that blind leap of faith. Man, I’m so glad I blew off his opinion and advice. If only everyone knew and give them a listen they’d be so pleasantly surprised. It did take Focal a while to gain traction but the difference between them and Klipsch, they kept introducing new HP’s where Klipsch basically has this. These are excellent (my opinion of course) and truly are a TOTL headphone. They’re still my go-to’s!!
So interesting, perhaps it is because I grew up using speakers (musically came of age as the 70s became the 80s) that for me I actually really feel confident when speaker companies take a crack at headphones. I feel the lessons learned tuning speakers, working with cabinet influences etc translate perfectly to the world of headphones. I remain of the mind that the best driver in the world will sound ordinary or even bad if placed in a poorly designed enclosure and headphones certainly still have enclosures (albeit minimal by way of comparison with speakers).

Anyway, I really was taken by the HP-3 signature pretty much instantly and I really wasn't expecting that. In fact the set that I have I was actually only listening to in order to confirm functioning before I sold them on behalf of a friend. Within a few days I was emailing him to ask if it would be ok if I was the one buying the HP-3. Very glad that I did and I intend to keep this lovely headphone as part of my new permanent collection. Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back