KingSound KS-H3?
Jan 31, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #124 of 204
I have been using the KS-H04 + KS-M3 solid state amplifier for a month.

A few notes:

Superior to every headphone I have tried in terms of ergonomics, design, and comfort.

Sound is transparent and almost ethereal, together with the aforementioned comfort, the thought of listening to music through any other medium has never crossed my mind ever since.

The sound leakage is actually very little, but outside noises can be completely heard. I like this - there is no longer an occluded sensation, and of course, it allows it to sound transparent the way it does so well.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #125 of 204
One thing to mention however is that KS-M3 solid state is a bit bright. They have done frequency response analysis on Qobuz. The response in the upper frequencies, in comparison to mid-range is boosted. I do think they can sound bright on occasion. Also, bass response is markedly withdrawn, but I have always preferred it this way myself.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #126 of 204
I would expect an amp to have neutral frequency response. But amping electrostats isn't too easy and it seems to me Stax has set the bar high.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #129 of 204
So... What is the difference between the ks-h3 and hs-h4, and where can you buy a pair of hs-h4's in the US

I have both the KS-H3 and the KS-H4, along with the Stax SR-007, as electrostatic headphones. The KS-H3 is the one I prefer. Its frequency extension from sub-bass to the highest treble is just amazing as is its ability to present the details of the recording (call it clarity, transparency, etc.). Some people, however, find the extension to the higher frequencies somewhat excessive (fatiguing is the word commonly used). With this feedback, Kingsaudio released the new KS-H4, which is a bit tamed in the high frequencies and is, additionally, supposed to be portable. No much difference compared to the H3 in terms of sound except for the mentioned say "more polite" treble. The KS-H4 is, however, different in terms of geometry: smaller, oval-shaped and the cups can be twisted flat.

So, how do they compare? Usually, I tend to choose the H3. Yes, I love hearing all the recording has to offer, and do not find natural high frequencies irritating. If I am in the same mood but looking for a relaxed listening, then I choose the H4. And, then, if I have one of these days when I need the world to be "elegant" in the sense of "versaillesque", then of course, I go for the SR-007.

Not sure if it helps, but I tried.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #130 of 204
Thanks a lot. I hadn't been able to find anything about the ks-h4's other than that they exist and that they sound good. It's reassuring to know that the ks-h3's sound subjectively better.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #131 of 204
Would consider selling my H3 m10 combo but prefer to ship to us address. PM me if interested.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #132 of 204
  I, too, prefer the M-10 with the KS H-03.  To my ears, the M-10 is more detailed and transparent, with better bass extension and control.  Thicker and lusher in the midrange, with more lower midbass push when driven by the M-20.

The H-03/M-10 are more detailed, extended and transparent than the ESP-950, IMHO, at least with the Koss driven with their namesake energizer.  But the ESP-950 are a great value.

Were you ever able to compare the ESP 950's and the KS-H03's on the same amp?

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #134 of 204
just ordered my ksh4 + m03 at audiophonics.fr for a discounted price of  
694,17 €.​

they ship world wide for 29 euros.

audiophonics is having some discount right now.

ksh3 + m10 is around 690 euros too and ksh3 + m03 is at 660 euro now.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #135 of 204
Were you ever able to compare the ESP 950's and the KS-H03's on the same amp?

The amp would have to have a Stax Amp with "Pro Only" socket and the ESP-950 needs a 5-pin-Koss-to-5-pin-Stax-Pro adapter, but this way is guaranteed. I remember the Kingsound Amps using the Stax "Pro Only" sockets, so they should work fine too, just as long as the adapter is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back