KingSound KS-H3?
Jul 16, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #106 of 204
I found this article from October 2014 so the new KS-H4 and the portable amp should be released by now. Has anyone had the chance to listen to them?
http://theaudiotraveler.com/2014/10/01/new-york-2014-king-sound-goes-portable/

Would Stax headphones be able to work with the portable amp?

Looks like it is available now and it is only $25 more than the H3.
http://www.moon-audio.com/king-sound-ks-h4-electrostatic-headphones.html

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #107 of 204
  I found this article from October 2014 so the new KS-H4 and the portable amp should be released by now. Has anyone had the chance to listen to them?
http://theaudiotraveler.com/2014/10/01/new-york-2014-king-sound-goes-portable/

I heard the prototype at that show. I believe it was very close to final. I don't have a really clear memory of the sound, but I do recall that they were quite good. Probably better than the KS-H3 (which I bought). I may be remembering incorrectly since the article does not mention it, but I thought it was an amp/DAC combo.

Edit: I just took a look at the amp on Moon Audio. It looks a lot different than what I saw at the show. Smaller, perhaps no display (hard to tell from the picture), and a very nice looking finish. No DAC mentioned.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #109 of 204
EDIT : The part with K701 earpads has been removed because velvet and electrostatic are not a good mid someone told me. I'm awaiting for AKG K550 earpads which are in leather. I will update this after giving a try.

How I proceed ?

The M-10 is the worst amp I have ever seen, it does not worth some at 50 bucks, even the FIIO E9 is better (and i hate it). Indeed, more you increase the volume, more the sound will be flat and crappy.
It's why, you need to keep at 20% max on the m-10.

How ?

Using a preamp. If you don't have any preamplifier, no worries, just plug a 6.35mm jack on your electrodynamic amplifier with a 6.35mm to rca cable, and plug the rca into the M-10 (the matrix mini-i for me, I tried with Xonar Essence Stx and it's not worth). Set the volume of your electrodynamic amplifier to the max and try to be at the minimum on the M-10.
The M-10 does almost not amplify the signal but just converts its for electrostatic headphones. It keeps the quality of your amplifier and permits to the H3 to demonstrate his true potential.
(image missing)
Therefore, you will discover a pleasing sweet and warm sound. Not a Stax sound at all, more as a brighter HD650. It excels with female voices. Basses are more cleaner but the low mids have some difficulties when they stack with others low mids (bass guitar + drums + low pad ), it spreads over the others frequencies and  covers them. It spoils the coherence of the sound but it's much better than It was.

SO :
1444934353-sans-titre-1.jpg

Orignal KS-H3 : 6/10
Plugged to my amp with jack 6.35 : 8/10

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #110 of 204
I:
--like the H-03 with the M-10 better than with the M-20.
--prefer the H-03/M-10 to the SR-507/Woo WEE [amped with the Qinpu A-1.0X].
--still overall prefer the Martin Logan Mikros 90 to ANY other headphones I have heard to date.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #111 of 204
Yes M-10 is a good converter, not a good amp. It's why you must combine the M-10 with a preamp.

I edited my last post with an image which explains the way to exploit the true potiential of the KS-H3.
Soon I will receive my AKG K551 ear pads which have the same diameter, except the smaller hole for hear.
I will post my first impressions.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #112 of 204
It seems illogical and as poor design if the M-10 needs a pre-amp to sound good.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #113 of 204
It seems illogical and as poor design if the M-10 needs a pre-amp to sound good.

Yes I know, but except if you have a very powerfull and warm sound factor DAC, It will sound flat, no infra bass, dirty basses and low mediums, and no medium....
It's like the FIIO portable amps which is plugged on powerless dap or smartphone output, except the amp is before the Kingsound M-10. The M-10 clearly lacks in power and polish.

Anyway, the most important is that the KS-H3 is actually damn good and worthes his money.
But his amp sucks !

PS : I did not try the M-20, too expensive for me...

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #114 of 204
Your conclusion sounds probable, haven't tried it :)
I guess you can colour the sound with a pre-amp, though it isn't gonna make the M-10 more powerful or better, technically, most likely.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #116 of 204
  I have both the M-10 and the M-20 [with upgraded tubes] but still prefer the M-10.
With a good front end and power conditioning, I have zero complaints with the M-10.

Could you please test the M-10 plugged with 6.35mm jack on an electrodynamic amp with a 6.35 -> rca cable or an 6.35->3.25mm jack one ? (see my post two days ago)
Just to share your impression of the sound with this unit between the DAC and the M-10.
I'm curious to know what you will think of this combination.

Thanks

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #117 of 204
Kannuki,
Might try one of my amps: KMF, BCL or Bada.
Just have to find the time--and the inclination.  
The M-10 is at my home address and all my aforementioned amps are at my work address.

pataburd

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #120 of 204
According to information from another forum, KS-H3 was a decent headphone but H04 has a much more pleasing sound signature. I have bought a pair H04 and M03 combo. They will arrive in a week and will let you know what I think. I am looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back