KingSound KS-H3?
Mar 7, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #139 of 204
I am looking for a bit of help.

I am thinking about the KS-H2 headphones to try some electrostatics but am not sure what to do about driving it.  I dont want the M10, it's a little out of my budget range (the H2's are really cheap).  Is there something more affordable to try these headphones out on?  What about something like the SRD-4 if it has the pro-bias 5 pin output?  Thanks for the help, I have always wanted to try some electrostatics!

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #140 of 204
I am looking for a bit of help.

I am thinking about the KS-H2 headphones to try some electrostatics but am not sure what to do about driving it.  I dont want the M10, it's a little out of my budget range (the H2's are really cheap).  Is there something more affordable to try these headphones out on?  What about something like the SRD-4 if it has the pro-bias 5 pin output?  Thanks for the help, I have always wanted to try some electrostatics!
try http://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-mj2-by-mitchell-johnson/ instead although the kh2 is cheap at audiophpnics

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #141 of 204
try http://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-mj2-by-mitchell-johnson/ instead although the kh2 is cheap at audiophpnics

Those look very nice, but I am definitely an open headphone guy.  Plus the KH2 is really cheap at the moment, I'm just afraid of not being able to get an affordable/correct amplifier for it.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #142 of 204
Those look very nice, but I am definitely an open headphone guy.  Plus the KH2 is really cheap at the moment, I'm just afraid of not being able to get an affordable/correct amplifier for it.
k2 is open but it sounds like a closed headphone (read the reviews at headphonics). i am using the m03 which is like 400 to 500 dollars and its a good amp for all headphones. there isnt really a cheaper pro bias 5 pin amp. cheapest stax amp is like 400 to 500 dollars too.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #143 of 204
k2 is open but it sounds like a closed headphone (read the reviews at headphonics). i am using the m03 which is like 400 to 500 dollars and its a good amp for all headphones. there isnt really a cheaper pro bias 5 pin amp. cheapest stax amp is like 400 to 500 dollars too.

Cool, the input is much appreciated.  It looks like I'll pass for now, 

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #145 of 204
What about this? Think this would work with an amplifier?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-SRD-4-Adaptor-for-Electret-Earspeakers-/272563631986?hash=item3f760ef772:g:uOYAAOSw-0xYVhe7

It looks like it has the pro bias output on the front.  

Thanks again :)

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #146 of 204
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #147 of 204
  What about this? Think this would work with an amplifier?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-SRD-4-Adaptor-for-Electret-Earspeakers-/272563631986?hash=item3f760ef772:g:uOYAAOSw-0xYVhe7

It looks like it has the pro bias output on the front.  

Thanks again :)

No, that is an adapter for an electret headset.  Electret headsets are different from electrostatic headphones because they have a diaphragm that is permanently charged and does not need a bias supply.  They were made for a while but no company (including Stax, Kingsound, HiFiMan, Ether or anyone else) currently makes electret headphones.  All the currently made electrostatic headphones require a bias supply.  If you see electret in the description, then those adapters will not work with any currently manufactured electrostatic headphone.  So unless you buy an obsolete electret headphone, buying the adapter will be a complete waste of your money.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #148 of 204
No, that is an adapter for an electret headset.  Electret headsets are different from electrostatic headphones because they have a diaphragm that is permanently charged and does not need a bias supply.  They were made for a while but no company (including Stax, Kingsound, HiFiMan, Ether or anyone else) currently makes electret headphones.  All the currently made electrostatic headphones require a bias supply.  If you see electret in the description, then those adapters will not work with any currently manufactured electrostatic headphone.  So unless you buy an obsolete electret headphone, buying the adapter will be a complete waste of your money.
there are electrets like the mj2 or shark. i hope he hasnt buy it yet.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #150 of 204
If you want to try some electrostatic headphones why limit yourself to new ones?  Stax headphones last a very long time, and there are some good used ones that are available for less than a new Kingsound.  Some good ones include SR-5 normal bias (I've had mine since the 1980s and it still works fine), Gamma Pro, Lambda normal bias, and Lambda Nova Signature, all of which can be found on ebay or Head-Fi from time to time for a few hundred dollars.  Koss ESP950s are available new on Amazon including their own amp (although you can do better on the amp) for as little as $600 or so on sale.  If you don't like them you can sell a used Stax or Koss on ebay for probably close to what you paid for them.

In terms of amps, a Stax SRM-T1 or equivalent occasionally shows up on ebay for around $450-$600.  They are old enough that they will need their power supply capacitors replaced for reliability but that shouldn't cost too much to do, especially if you can wield a soldering iron.  If you're worried about the fact that they use output tubes, don't be.  A lot of these amps are still running their original power tubes even though they are 25-30 years old.  I bought one recently, replaced the power suppy caps and it worked fine, and it still had the original power tubes which still tested good on my tube tester. Based on the published schematics the SRM-T1 is a significantly better amp design than any Kingsound amp, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back