KingSound KS-H3?
Jan 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #166 of 204
Ran the H-03 with the SRM-1, Mk 2. The Stax is a much more detail-rendering amplifier than the M-10, and really "wakes up" the H-03.
The SR-507 sound very good with the SRM-1, Mk 2--way more detailed than the H-03 (which now sound veiled by comparison). The H-03 still have a more liquid/"tube-like" presentation with more bass weight/warmth/presence, compared to the SR-507.
The KGSS DX is scheduled to arrive today and all I have on hand at the house are the KS H-03 (the SR-507 are at my apartment).
Can't wait to hear the KGSS!

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #167 of 204
Briefly auditioned the KGSS DX with the KS H-03 last night.
The most detailed and transparent performance I have heard to date with the H-03, although I did note that leading edge transient attack (especially from cymbal strikes) came across (or not quite came across) as rather subdued, at least compared with what I am used to hearing otherwise.
Rounded out the evening listening to my longtime favorite dynamic, on-ear, closed headphones: the Martin Logan Mikros 90 (with Ted's Headphood UPOCC silver cable), beautifully balanced: frequency-wise, dynamically and tonally.
Have to get (retrieve them from a remote location) the SR-507 up-and-running with the KGSS DX.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #170 of 204
Sold the SR-507. . . . and the KGSS.

Am currently amping the H-03 with the Stax SRM-1/MK2, to good effect.

Thank you for the earpads tip--which I may act upon: What kind of sonic improvements come with the Dekoni earpads?

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #172 of 204
Thank you for the earpads tip--which I may act upon: What kind of sonic improvements come with the Dekoni earpads?

Better bass. Much more balanced sound overall. Better soundstage. Midrange losses a little of the tube-like sound, probably because the overall frequency response is more even. I'll be interested to read your impressions. Hope you like them.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #175 of 204
The Dekoni Elite (all sheepskin) earpads arrived yesterday. They fit the H-03 well, after a bit of patient stretching.

I oriented the tapered (narrow) edge down. The Dekonis put more space between the surface of my ear and the driver compared to the stock pads. Although the Dekonis offer less inner diameter, my ears did not feel unduly confined or uncomfortable.

Compared to the stock pads, the sound with the Dekonis is more coherent, more dense and organic. That apparently stock-pad-induced upper midrange/lower treble sharpness has been ameliorated, replaced with more and better resolved detail. Bass is weightier and better focused. Spatial realism has also improved. This seems like a no-downside change--at least based on my initial impressions.

Am amping the H-03 with the Stax SRM-1/MK 2.

I will try dialing the tapered edge of the Dekonis to directly forward of the ear.

Also wanted to poll users about their preferred orientation of the Nekonis: How do you orient the narrow/tapered edge?

My initial placement, i.e. with the tapered edge dialed down, leaves a little gap under my earlobes, but may enhance spatial realism and "airiness".

I am waiting for a pair of the Dekoni Elite hybrid pads (velour ear contact and sheepskin). The all sheepskin Dekonis, given their reduced inside diameter, can get warm, compared with stock.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #176 of 204
Just a side note: While I found the Stax SR-507 more technically proficient than the Kingsound H-03, I still find the H-03 more musically enjoyable.

I really do not miss the SR-507. I think I had very high expectations for the Stax, but these expectations were never quite realized (even when pairing the SR-507 with a KGSS amp).

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #177 of 204
Nice mini-review. I had an almost identical impressions. Since my original pads fell apart and I could not find anyone to sell me KS replacements, I had no choice. Turned out for the best!

Also wanted to poll users about their preferred orientation of the Nekonis: How do you orient the narrow/tapered edge?

I have mine installed the same as they would be on a Fostex TH900. Thick part in back, thin part in front, seam aligned with the point where the headband attaches to the cup. The headphone tilts slightly inward towards your face.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #179 of 204
I've had the KS H3/M-20 now for about 6 weeks. When I 1st got it I had a lot of popping & crackeling & was thinking "oh gee, here we go again". But on advice from e-friends I just hooked it up to my Oppo HA-1 dac & it hasn't been off since. Since day 3 it has been sounding great & over time only better. Not sure if it is the headphone/amp changing or my brain. I've done a ton of compares with some of my better cans/gear & I will say now it just depends on the song as to whether I prefer it, or my HD-800, TA-900s, HE 500s, or my Alpa Primes. That's pretty good company to my way of thinking. Valuewise, I'd rate them as a killer buy, even at retail. Now I'm an old fart, seldom take the time to post, but have been into audio for 30+ years so my hearing won't match you young bucks, but what I'm hearing I like a lot.

So based on my 4 weeks (of actual listening after running it for 2 weeks (burn-in?)) with them - they are keepers & are still getting better (again maybe it's my brain or maybe it's burn-in) but damn I'm one happy camper. I'm a huge fan of the HD800/Zana Deux combo which I've had for years & at a 4th of what that duo cost me, this KS combo matches it on some songs. I'm not a Stax expert, so I can't compare the KS gear to anything else eStat-wise, but I can say if the 009 combined is worth (soundwise) 5X as much, I'd buy it tomorrow. I have heard the 007 at meets where I had the ZD/HD800 & my combo was just better - at least to my ear. Just sayin...

I likely won't post more 'cause I'm too darn tired at the end of the day & had rather just read & listen, but this one time I just had to say the above for anyone who may be interested in the King Sound e-stats.

Really have to say I've enjoyed reading all these posts on this KS thread. Really interesting. Sounds like I've been lucky to not have had more problems. Keeping my fingers crossed my luck continues. Sounds a little like what I read on the Koss 950 threads.

P.S. I listened to both the M20 & M10, & in my case I actually preferred & bought the SS amp. Anyway I'm tired or rollin/replacing tubes on the t-amps I've got. Gets to be a pain - an expensive one.

My M20 was having popping & crackling from the left channel. I left it on overnight as you suggested. Problem fixed. Thanks.

On a side note, my M 003 just died. I'm in the states. The US dealer says just buy new one. Not worth fixing. HK headquarters says cover shipping, and they will fix. Is my only option to send it back to Hong Kong? Shipping is pricey...over ~$125 USD one way using UPS (that would be ~$250 both ways)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #180 of 204
Anyone tried both the ks-h2 and h3? How much of a difference is there?
a local dealer has kingsound h02 and m10 on clearance sale for 695 euros combined.
I've never tried electrostatic headphones before so I was wondering if these would be worth it or if h2 is actually so much worse than h3 that I should not bother to go for that particular combination.
My alternate option would be a pair of used lcd-x and getting atom amp and khadas tone board for them separately. that option is more like 950 euros combined.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back