Killer midrange
Mar 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so, one of the reasons I sold my SR-007/KGSS was because there was too much bass slam.

eek.gif
I've noticed that there are two occasions when my omegas have too much bass: When the amp is not warmed up and when the voltage of the electric mains is lower than normal.
It was an offtopic.
tongue_smile.gif

Obviously aFo doesn't like accurate/neutral midrange but smooth. I think D5000 have great smooth midrange but it's far from neutrality. I'd recommend T1 for smooth and O2 for accurate and life-like vocals.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #17 of 35
best midrange is stax sr-003. lightest weight and lowest distortion of any
diaphram in the world including iem's.

unfortunately, a bit bass shy, and uncomfortable to wear.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 35
The best mid-range in dynamic cans I've encountered, not in any particular order:

Sony R-10
Sennheiser HD-800
Hifiman HE-5
Symphones Magnums (highly modified Grado SR-325i/Alessandro MS2i)

It should be noted that a serious investment in DAC and amp will be required for best results for the above.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #19 of 35
The O2 Mk1 can have the best midrange around, and it can be pretty lacking, all depending on what you've got for amp and source. Voice it right and it will blow you away. The Mk2 screws up the mids IMO, they're still not bad but a bit shouty and tone is off.

HE90 is very nice in the mids, there is a velvety texture to them that, while being a definite coloration, imparts a very luxurious quality to the sound.

The SR-003 is definitely magical in the mids. The resolution is not the highest ever but the tone is just so right, and there's quite a bit of that liquid flowing character that a well-driven O2 has, too. Plus it won't break the bank.

I do like K340 mids quite a bit too; there's a bit of an echoey reverb thing going on but other than that the K340's mids do more things right than wrong.

If you want to go dynamic, R10. Seriously organic yet stunningly realistic mids.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #23 of 35
IMHO,

1. Sony MDR-R10
2. Senn HE90
3. Senn HD-800
4. Audio-Technica ATH-L3000

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...these are my top 4 favorite in that regard:
1. Sony R10
2. Stax Omega
3. Stax Sigma
4. Stax O2

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The O2 Mk1 can have the best midrange around, and it can be pretty lacking, all depending on what you've got for amp and source. Voice it right and it will blow you away...HE90 is very nice in the mids, there is a velvety texture to them that, while being a definite coloration, imparts a very luxurious quality to the sound...The SR-003 is definitely magical in the mids. The resolution is not the highest ever but the tone is just so right, and there's quite a bit of that liquid flowing character that a well-driven O2 has, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
STAX SR-007; SR-Lambda if you are on a budget.

I've not tried an R10 but have tried most of the ESLs mentioned (with a variety of amps, sources, etc).

From my experience/equipment range I'd say (in terms of mids only):
1. Sennheiser HE60/Woo GES
2. Stax SR007/Good Solid State amp e.g. KGSS
3. Other Stax such as the Sigma 404/Sigma Normal/Lambda Normal or the Koss ESP-950. The SR-003/SR-001 is also very good when well driven.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #25 of 35
Pretty much agree with all that's been said.

1. Sony MDR-R10. Absolutely superb midrange.
2. AKG K1000
3. Grado HP1
4. Sennheiser HD800 (balanced and recabled)

Although perhaps not in that league, I also enjoyed the JVC DX1000 driven by the Cary SLI-80, and a balanced/recabled pair of Sony CD3000's.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 35
I absolutely loved the sound of the RS1 headphones from Grado. If I could have afforded to buy a pair, I would have. I ended up with the 325is, a model costing much less than half the price of the RS1, but think the RS1 to be exceptionally balanced and not wanting in any particular area. Most of all, though, the Grado midrange is pretty much "to die for". At the very least, put this headphone on your listening list.
atsmile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not HD650?

Personal taste or experience maybe?

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO,

1. Sony MDR-R10
2. Senn HE90
3. Senn HD-800
4. Audio-Technica ATH-L3000

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much agree with all that's been said.

1. Sony MDR-R10. Absolutely superb midrange.
2. AKG K1000
3. Grado HP1
4. Sennheiser HD800 (balanced and recabled)

Although perhaps not in that league, I also enjoyed the JVC DX1000 driven by the Cary SLI-80, and a balanced/recabled pair of Sony CD3000's.

Just curious, but have either of you heard the T1 to compare with the HD800s? I ask because I value good midrange and was about to pick up a pair of T1s based off of people's descriptions of it's midrange and overall balance and musicality.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #30 of 35
boy. talk about "careful what you ask for."

i might be somewhat of a noob myself. but in my short time at head-fi i've grown weary of reading post after post of someone asking for a "great headphones for xyz", and then reading a dozen responses (at least) listing headphones that are not only discontinued, but dreadfully hard to find and costly.

is it really a case of the k1000 being the best at mid-range? or is it something more intangible? something to do with elite status?
wink.gif

hey, OP, good luck finding the MDR-R10 that about eight people have put on the top of their lists! oh, and btw, be prepared to pay at least 4 grand for it.
redface.gif

maybe you should sell your honda accord and put the cash in a drawer until a pair shows up on ebay or something.
biggrin.gif

hazmat suit is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back