Killer midrange
Mar 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

aFo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Hope this thread isn't a clone. Still relatively new to the hifi world, but I'm looking down a bit for a future high end can. I've owned the D5000's and while I found the sound to be smooth and lush, the bass was just too much. I've been finding that I love a sound that is accurate and musical, with a standout and killer midrange. I love great vocals. Would something like the beyerdynamic t1 or hd800 fit this kind of description? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks! I listen to pretty much everything, so an all rounder would be nice. Leaning toward the high end so I can hopefully avoid too much upgraditis.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 35
You may want to try the Grado RS-1i or Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones for that killer midrange sound that you are after. I reviewed my ATH-W5000 here; do a search.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 35
I spent a very brief time with a pair of Grado RS-1's. They do indeed have a lush midrange. Note that I am not a Grado fan, and I wouldn't likely buy another pair (for clarity, mine were SR125's, the RS-1's were auditioned in a meet setting), but they do have their pluses, and midrange is one of them.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 35
I think you might need some electrostatics in your diet: speedy, accurate, great midrange and bass that will certainly not overwhelm you.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 35
I'm a midrange guy for sure. I've heard almost everything and primarily listen for midrange tonality, and these are my top 4 favorite in that regard:
1. Sony R10
2. Stax Omega
3. Stax Sigma
4. Stax O2

These can be pretty pricey, though.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you might need some electrostatics in your diet: speedy, accurate, great midrange and bass that will certainly not overwhelm you.

Not so, one of the reasons I sold my SR-007/KGSS was because there was too much bass slam. I should have held on to the KGSS though, I figured that the price wouldn't change, now they are $800 more!

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 35
DT48 (flame all you want.) Their mids are stellar.. & it's not just some crazy fan boy talking here.. Erik & others agree..
K1000 a gimmie..

Never heard electro's so can't comment.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so, one of the reasons I sold my SR-007/KGSS was because there was too much bass slam. I should have held on to the KGSS though, I figured that the price wouldn't change, now they are $800 more!

Unfortunately I've never had the chance to hear the SR-007+KGSS, so I've never had much bass slam via electrostatics. Sounds like that's a rig I'd really enjoy though
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a midrange guy for sure. I've heard almost everything and primarily listen for midrange tonality, and these are my top 4 favorite in that regard:
1. Sony R10
2. Stax Omega
3. Stax Sigma
4. Stax O2

These can be pretty pricey, though.

I currently own #1-3, and can attest to the validity of this statement! Simply the best midranges you can get
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 35
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, really appreciate it!

Electrostatics look great, but I'd like to stick with a dynamic system for right now. I had looked into the RS1's but apparently they weren't really suitable to all genres.

If it helps, I am going to set aside roughly $1k as a max budget and work from there.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 35
I'm not sure that aiming high will help to avoid upgraditis. I would aim mid-high. HD600's, my vote for all all arounder of the decade. Definitely upgrade the cable. Also, amp selection and system matching are huge. Aiming high has only made my upgraditis worse, especially because the high end cans expose the flaws of anything upstream.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 35
If you dont like to try stats, try out orthodynamics
smily_headphones1.gif
, smooth planar sound and they do vocals brilliantly, they will work with your dynamic amp.
They will be vastly different to your D5000 though.

Something like a vintage Fostex T50, Yamaha HP-1/HP-50/YH-100/YH-1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back