Kid safe headphones (suggestions for my 6 yr old daughter) ?
Jul 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sniper1

New Head-Fier
Hi,
My 6 year old daughter has discovered the fun of listening to my iPod touch / iPad 2 with a pair of headphones.
I'm planning on giving her an iPod Nano 6th gen... in pink of course :wink:... for Xmas.
But what headphones or earbuds should i buy ?
At home, we have a pair of crappy Sony MDR-XD200. Very anemic at both ends of the spectrum and overall cardboardish sound. And the cord is something like 6 feet long, which is good for relaxing on the couch, but not for a daughter on the move.

Personnaly, i use Klipsh Image S4. Maybe i can test that with the smaller size silicon tips.
However, i would like to have some sort of volume limiting function. I know it can be programmed in the iPod touch and iPad, but unsure about the Nano ?

I'm willing to pay up to 80$. Has to be lightweight and clamps well on a small size head.
She likes Katy Perry, Madonna, LMAO, Simple Plan but also Adele and Diana Krall... you see the pattern.

Best Buy shows a slurry of "kid-safe" headphones... anything decent in there ?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Headphones/Kids-Headphones/pcmcat168000050041.c?id=pcmcat168000050041

...or maybe Grado SR-60i ?

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 12
All iPods have volume limiting features (with exception of the shuffle I think...).  There are a couple headphones with this as well.  I know UE and Etymotic make a model specifically to limit top volume.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, Ety kids are great. I have a couple HD25 600ohm which really limits the volume out of the iPhone and iPad. Plus, they fit little ones really well as the cups have a lot of up/down adjustability. They fit my 5yo great.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 12
All right. But now knowing that the iPod Nano does have the volume limit control, is there any advantage of still buying a pair of volume-limiting earphones ?
I'm guessing to protect the child if he decides to plug his phones in something else, like the home cinema-receiver or my ipad (on which i don't set a vol. Limit?) ...

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
All right. But now knowing that the iPod Nano does have the volume limit control, is there any advantage of still buying a pair of volume-limiting earphones ?
I'm guessing to protect the child if he decides to plug his phones in something else, like the home cinema-receiver or my ipad (on which i don't set a vol. Limit?) ...

Yeah, it's certainly not safe to allow a 6yo anywhere near an integrated amp/receiver HP-out. The HP amps are typically pretty strong on those. I keep our AV room locked so they can't destroy the gear... and so they can't hurt their ears. :wink:

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 12
My 8-yo hijacked my V-moda v80, no concern since it is build like a tank. I am teaching her to value her hearing, If she can not hear what is going on around her , it is too loud.
They have to learn to listen at a reasonable level, at least, that is my theory
Before that was my Sony NC60, when she was 5, let us just say it needs to be glued back to life, again

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
My 8-yo hijacked my V-moda v80, no concern since it is build like a tank. I am teaching her to value her hearing, If she can not hear what is going on around her , it is too loud.
They have to learn to listen at a reasonable level, at least, that is my theory
Before that was my Sony NC60, when she was 5, let us just say it needs to be glued back to life, again

+1

I have an 8yo as well and have no concerns with him listening to any of my phones in terms of hearing damage. He's acutely aware of what is too loud. He often listens to Spotify out of my RME Babyface and I can see the output levels at a glance. He listens at about half my levels. :wink:

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 12
I second the Ety kids, if your child can get use to something inside their ear canals.  My oldest son is starting a real attachment to his first DAP and the Ety kids5 has been great. I just received my replacement back form Etymotic and can vouch for there super service.  The cheaper route is to get a high impedance adapter/plug and secure it with heat shrink.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 12
I remember when we got my nephew good headphones. He was always listening to music on a $2 pair of headphones and when we got him a decent pair (creative aurvana live - but not recommending that here, as it's got a very short cable), his eyes got wide and he said "IT CHANGED MY MUSIC!" and was all kinds of happy. I'm assuming he meant that he could actually hear the music now lol

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 12
My nephew has a pair of Nerf headphones which has a limit on how high the volume can go, audio quality I imagine sucks though. Unfortunately if you don't watch him he will blast any and all music the second he gets a chance. So anything else was out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back