Kickstarter Headphone - Grain Audio, any thoughts?
Apr 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #46 of 102
Quote:
Doesn't seem like there is any real concrete description of the sound, or driver technology, of these headphones that us audiophiles could digest. I wouldn't bother with anything until people here have reported back some real impressions.

And yes, these blatantly plagiarize a lot from the design of AIAIAI TMA-1's, that might pull them into legal trouble later on down the road, or it might not, depending on AIAIAI.

This has been bothering me, the answer I got from Grain Audio was that even though they share the same design with AIAIAI headphones, acoustically, they are very different.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #47 of 102
Guys,

I can understand the chatter about them looking like the AIAIAI's but i assure you these are not a rip off of them.There are many products in Consumer Electronics market that look like each other.

They are not is stores because we are still developing them. They will have a balanced, Natural sound.

I cannot share any more details because it will be flagged by Head-fi because Grain Audio is not a sponsor yet.

I am working on this with Head-fi, so i can share more details. You guys on this thread are our target audience. People who care about there Audio gear! These will not disappoint.

-Dave
VP engineering @ Grain Audio

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #48 of 102
Thanks for the update Dave!

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #49 of 102
A note from Grain Audio's Designer on the OEHP .01.

In the consumer electronics market many products share similarities while being significantly different.  The headphone market is a particularly trick field after all, all headphones have a headband and two earcups.  When you get into the materials and details is where the the differences really stand out.  The Grain Audio OEHP.01 is a proprietary design conceived of and designed by us.  We stand by it as unique without reservation.

If you squint at the OEHP.01 and the TMA-1 there are similarities in the headband, earpad and method of wiring the earcups together.  However none one of these details are unique to the TMA or the OEHP.  The headband type can be found on many audio headphones in the market as well as safety headsets used in the construction and engineering field.  Using an exposed cable to wire earcups together and provide adjustability is not a new feature either.  This detail has been seen on audio and communications headphones for decades.  The earpad style can also be seen in several other products.

All that being said the size, shape, material and execution of the "similar" components is drastically different between the OEHP and TMA.  Our headband is an integrally colored glass reinforced ABS with a concealed adjustment track.  It is not a rubber coated plastic with expressed registration.  The headband has has been shaped and designed by us and built to our specifications.  The PU earpad is a different durometer, shape and size compared to the TMA.  We have designed it for superior acoustic isolation and it works with our earcup/driver design to deliver a balanced natural sound rather than a bass heavy profile.  

Beyond these parts the hinge and adjustment mechanism is completely unique to Grain Audio.  Other products use a fairly typical gimbaled hinge, our injection molded elastomer bushing with integrated vertical adjustment function is completely unique to Grain Audio.  From sketch to hard tool this is a one of a kind part.  The use of a solid wood earcup designed and engineered by Grain further distinguishes the product acoustically and aesthetically. 

As stated before the OEHP.01 is a product unique to Grain Audio.  It was designed in house and engineered with our own manufacturer to deliver great acoustic detail and a unique aesthetic and material experience.

-Dave

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #50 of 102
Quote:
A note from Grain Audio's Designer on the OEHP .01.

In the consumer electronics market many products share similarities while being significantly different.  The headphone market is a particularly trick field after all, all headphones have a headband and two earcups.  When you get into the materials and details is where the the differences really stand out.  The Grain Audio OEHP.01 is a proprietary design conceived of and designed by us.  We stand by it as unique without reservation.

If you squint at the OEHP.01 and the TMA-1 there are similarities in the headband, earpad and method of wiring the earcups together.  However none one of these details are unique to the TMA or the OEHP.  The headband type can be found on many audio headphones in the market as well as safety headsets used in the construction and engineering field.  Using an exposed cable to wire earcups together and provide adjustability is not a new feature either.  This detail has been seen on audio and communications headphones for decades.  The earpad style can also be seen in several other products.

All that being said the size, shape, material and execution of the "similar" components is drastically different between the OEHP and TMA.  Our headband is an integrally colored glass reinforced ABS with a concealed adjustment track.  It is not a rubber coated plastic with expressed registration.  The headband has has been shaped and designed by us and built to our specifications.  The PU earpad is a different durometer, shape and size compared to the TMA.  We have designed it for superior acoustic isolation and it works with our earcup/driver design to deliver a balanced natural sound rather than a bass heavy profile.  

Beyond these parts the hinge and adjustment mechanism is completely unique to Grain Audio.  Other products use a fairly typical gimbaled hinge, our injection molded elastomer bushing with integrated vertical adjustment function is completely unique to Grain Audio.  From sketch to hard tool this is a one of a kind part.  The use of a solid wood earcup designed and engineered by Grain further distinguishes the product acoustically and aesthetically. 

As stated before the OEHP.01 is a product unique to Grain Audio.  It was designed in house and engineered with our own manufacturer to deliver great acoustic detail and a unique aesthetic and material experience.

-Dave

Hi Dave,

Have you guys given any thought to sending a prototype(when they're ready) to one of our long-standing members/reviewers here?  It could go a long way towards helping you sell us lots of units, as well as giving some of us the 'warm and fuzzies' about pre-ordering! 

Cheers
Chris

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #51 of 102
Hey Chris,

That is a great idea. When one is available, i will gladly send it thru. Can you tell me who you would like to see do a preview on the OEHP?

As i stated in an early post, you guys are our target market. We take your input seriously and consider everyones opinion.

-Dave

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #53 of 102
Quote:
Hey Chris,

That is a great idea. When one is available, i will gladly send it thru. Can you tell me who you would like to see do a preview on the OEHP?

As i stated in an early post, you guys are our target market. We take your input seriously and consider everyones opinion.

-Dave

You might want to prioritize sending a pair to Tyll Hertsens for measurements (in case you don't know already, he hosts the InnerFidelity blog / measurement archive). Meanwhile there's always the possibility of hosting a loan program here on Head-Fi to a select few experienced members, who would in turn provide impressions / feedback / full reviews even.

Just be sure to minimize unit-to-unit sonic variability before you guys do any of the above 
wink.gif
 There have been a few cases in the past where reputations of otherwise very promising or great headphones were tarnished by unit variations.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #55 of 102
On the subject of previews, have you thought about sending out other models, like the IEMs?

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #56 of 102
Quote:
Hey Chris,

-Dave

Hi Dave,

That sounds great!  Maybe a more senior member would be better at offering suggestions.......

Cheers
Chris

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #57 of 102
Quote:
You might want to prioritize sending a pair to Tyll Hertsens for measurements (in case you don't know already, he hosts the InnerFidelity blog / measurement archive). Meanwhile there's always the possibility of hosting a loan program here on Head-Fi to a select few experienced members, who would in turn provide impressions / feedback / full reviews even.

Just be sure to minimize unit-to-unit sonic variability before you guys do any of the above 
wink.gif
 There have been a few cases in the past where reputations of otherwise very promising or great headphones were tarnished by unit variations.

Tyll might be too busy to quickly go through with them though... Maybe Jude or a more active old member.

And agree on the rest!

Anyway, I already bit, but it's always good to see what others think on them even before they go out!

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #58 of 102
My vote goes to |joker|.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #59 of 102
Either Tyll or Jude, definitely. A spot in a head-fi TV episode would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back