Kickstarter Headphone - Grain Audio, any thoughts?
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

ekxon

New Head-Fier
I just did a quick search through the forum and haven't seen any posts of this kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2096575920/grain-audio-play-loud

One of their rewards is an over-ear closed(?) headphone, apparently using proprietary components and walnut cups.
Looks similar in design and material to aiaiai TMA-1.
More details on their website:
http://grainaudio.com/collections/headphones/products/oehp-over-ear-headphones

So during their kickstarter campaign, you can pick these up at a discounted price ($150 vs $200) plus free international shipping.

Any thought anyone? Might pledge for one.

Ironically, I would have been more compelled to pledge for one had it been more expensive, say $300, because you know... marketing... it would imply they are using higher grade components even if they actually didnt :) $150 for a wood-cupped headphone sounds like they are skimping on stuff. Though, I'm sure headphones costing $1000 actually only cost fractions of their build-material costs. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 102
Hmm, looks quite interesting. The wood looks quite nice. I find it interesting that they have almost no technical specifications about the headphones (impedance, sensitivity, diver size...)
Does look like something to keep an eye on.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 102
At least they are not making rapper endorsed headphones, and the overall design with is nice..looks solid.

I'll send them an email asking for the technical specs.  

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 102
Look like the wooden version of Muramasa
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 102
Shameless plug. 

http://kck.st/UKCiqU

We are also on Kickstarter! Not for headphones though...

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 102
Quote:
Hmm, looks quite interesting. The wood looks quite nice. I find it interesting that they have almost no technical specifications about the headphones (impedance, sensitivity, diver size...)
Does look like something to keep an eye on.

Specs for headphones can be found in their comments section.

Cans:
Frequency: 20Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 32 Ohms
Sound pressure: TBD
2x40mm neodymium + CCAW voice coil

IEM
Frequency: 20Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 32 Ohms
Sound pressure: TBD
2x8mm neodymium + CCAW voice coil

[EDIT] Error in details. Noted by AHorseNamedJeff

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 102
cans > 2 8mm drivers
IEMs > 2 40mm drivers

somethings not right here...

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 102
Apparently, the cups are the same material (moulded polyurethane) as the headband padding. So perhaps its squishy. But the picture kinda makes it look like its injection moulded plastic...

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 102
Quote:
Ironically, I would have been more compelled to pledge for one had it been more expensive, say $300, because you know... marketing... it would imply they are using higher grade components even if they actually didnt :) $150 for a wood-cupped headphone sounds like they are skimping on stuff. Though, I'm sure headphones costing $1000 actually only cost fractions of their build-material costs. 

Koss makes the KSC75 etc. that cost $20 and sound pretty decent. That leaves $130 for the tiny bit of wood that's needed for the cups (or wherever it goes in there).

For $130 you could make the cups out of pure silver.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 102
Grainy audio. lol

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 102
TMA-1 also uses dark polyurethane and looks pretty good in real life, so perhaps the grey isn't as toy-ish as it looks in the picture.
But I wonder how comfortable it will be for people with glasses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back