Kickstarter Headphone - Grain Audio, any thoughts?
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #91 of 102
Probably because they took like 2 years to come out and it all fizzled out...
Personally, I cancelled my order long ago and I'm not all that interested now... (I was though... a year and a half ago...)

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #92 of 102
I still haven't received mine - e-mailed Grain Audio and haven't received a response.

My friend received his and they are quite nice. I like their build, they are very comfortable, and they have a nice sound. Recessed soundstage, which takes some getting used to. Higher impedance, needed to take my E11 amp to about 5-6 high gain rather than the usual 2-3.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #93 of 102
  Probably because they took like 2 years to come out and it all fizzled out...
Personally, I cancelled my order long ago and I'm not all that interested now... (I was though... a year and a half ago...)

Ok, I guess if you were an original kickstarter and they took this long to come out, I can see the aggravation. I just read about them a couple weeks ago, saw a couple reviews and decided to give them a try. I ordered right after thanksgiving and they were 20% off to boot.

So far I am really liking them. They look well built. The wood grain is very nice. They are very comfortable, I think a little more comfotable than my Brainwavz. The go deeper than the Brainwavz and seem to have a little more clarity. Very Neutral, Granted these cost twice the price at $160 but I think they are a keeper.  

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #94 of 102
Yup, I think I backed this in the Summer of 2013 or so... when I saw they delayed the headphones for like the third time, I gave up. Glad you liked them and that they turned out Ok. :)

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #96 of 102
With the discount it's actually temping at just 140usd, but I'm also disinterested after such a long wait. Also don't think I'd spend so little on a pair of headphones anymore, knowing that the Sq would not be up to pay with my better ones and I'd not use them much, so itd' be a total waste. Unless they were like $50 and a throw around portable pair or something.

Also not really a fan of the grey to be honest, black would've been nicer (which I think I remember seeing in the original prototype pics). Maybe they wanted to differentiate from the TMA-1 design more that people were criticising them of ripping off. But I don't think it works with that timber.

It's a pity there arent more nice wood headphones around especially in the 200-500 range or a bit higher. All I can think of are Grados & ATs. Then it's high ends like TH900 and the Audezes

I think if I was after a portable can mainly for aesthetics but with nice sound I'd go for Aedle VK1s. The last purchase made with this balance in mind was vmoda m100s but I was disappointed with the Sq and despite a fairly rugged build they felt a bit cheap & tacky

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #97 of 102
Best portable right now for me, Master & Dynamics MH40s... These look nice but Grain knows they messed up. With the discount, the headphone is basically selling at the same price people committed to buy through kickstarter (more or less). Unless they send me one sample, meh, not listening to them...

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #98 of 102
Anyone actually own these? I've been looking up reviews and most of them are from people who are more into gadgets in general and not audio in particular; even when they have other headphones as reference it's usually Beats.

To be more specific, I need the low down on how these are compared to just about any Grado. Looking for something transportable with good isolation and won't need a lot of power (at most an Ibasso D-Zero, or a Fiio Q1). Since I'm thinking more of luggage or large carry on backpacks/messengers fold flat isn't that high on my list, and is lower than isolation and comfort. In fact the Grados I might get in the future are the Headphiles Vixen with the base SR325 drivers (can't afford RS2 but who knows). OEHP is going to be less than half the price of that, but it it at least can be just as fun as an SR80 then I'll consider paying $200 less overall (although I've always wanted the Vixen).

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #99 of 102

Anyone actually own these? I've been looking up reviews and most of them are from people who are more into gadgets in general and not audio in particular; even when they have other headphones as reference it's usually Beats.

To be more specific, I need the low down on how these are compared to just about any Grado. Looking for something transportable with good isolation and won't need a lot of power (at most an Ibasso D-Zero, or a Fiio Q1). Since I'm thinking more of luggage or large carry on backpacks/messengers fold flat isn't that high on my list, and is lower than isolation and comfort. In fact the Grados I might get in the future are the Headphiles Vixen with the base SR325 drivers (can't afford RS2 but who knows). OEHP is going to be less than half the price of that, but it it at least can be just as fun as an SR80 then I'll consider paying $200 less overall (although I've always wanted the Vixen).

Yeah, I've come across these a few times when looking at the SourceForge deals website.  I'm in the market for a lower-priced "HiFi" experience with good enough isolation to "avoid bothering others" more than "block out the world", and I would also like the sound signature to be warm, but not so warm that it murders detail.  I am bouncing back and forth between these and the AKG K553 Massdrop edition so far.

My current collection includes the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Noble Audio 3 universal IEMs.  Both of these are absolutely AMAZING, as far as I am concerned, but I am guilty of boosting the low end with EQ because both are lacking in the low end, otherwise (at least to my taste).*

* - While they lack the QUANTITY of low end I desire, they are capable of generating lows that go AMAZINGLY deep.  Boosting the low end and then tweaking the high end to compensate for the muddiness that can create turns both of these products into audio nirvana for me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #100 of 102
  Yeah, I've come across these a few times when looking at the SourceForge deals website.  I'm in the market for a lower-priced "HiFi" experience with good enough isolation to "avoid bothering others" more than "block out the world", and I would also like the sound signature to be warm, but not so warm that it murders detail.  I am bouncing back and forth between these and the AKG K553 Massdrop edition so far.

My current collection includes the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Noble Audio 3 universal IEMs.  Both of these are absolutely AMAZING, as far as I am concerned, but I am guilty of boosting the low end with EQ because both are lacking in the low end, otherwise (at least to my taste).*

* - While they lack the QUANTITY of low end I desire, they are capable of generating lows that go AMAZINGLY deep.  Boosting the low end and then tweaking the high end to compensate for the muddiness that can create turns both of these products into audio nirvana for me.

If you want low end presence, you don't want AKG... just saying...

I actually backed up this project but it experienced so many delays that I opted out. They cut their own foot (Grain Audio). I've only seen them with blowout prices (i.e. $50 or so on eBay!) and I never tried them because most of what I've read hasn't been all that positive.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #101 of 102

If you want low end presence, you don't want AKG... just saying...

I actually backed up this project but it experienced so many delays that I opted out. They cut their own foot (Grain Audio). I've only seen them with blowout prices (i.e. $50 or so on eBay!) and I never tried them because most of what I've read hasn't been all that positive.

Yeah, I've heard that about AKG "in general."  They seem to advertise the K7XX and K553 and having a more pronounced low end than their other headphones:

Quote:
 AKG’s latest revision to the K550 line is a complementary product to the open-back K7XX. Delivering noise isolation and bassy goodness in a closed-back design that won’t leak sound, the AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphone aims to provide a high-end listening experience at an entry-level price. 

So, yeah.  I'm not looking for Beats bass, just something more than my HD 650s without throwing all the detail into the toilet, and with noise isolation so I'm not disturbing others (I will more than likely bust out the HD 650s when I get home and it's nice and quiet).  Also preferably for around $200 (or less).  Suggestions are welcome!

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #102 of 102

Choosing between these and the TMA-2 custom config actually (although my dream transportable/casual listening cans would still be the Headphile Vixxen). One thing I just noticed that changed from the concept that was first shown is that they now have conventional earpads. IIRC the original version had what looked like one piece soft plastic pads that at least wouldn't flake or crack like leather, but it looks like they're back on leather-wrapped foam now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back