Khadas Tone Board DAC = WOW!
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #121 of 192
Thanks for the reply baskingshark.

I read somewhere (maybe in the khadas forum) that you can lower the Khadas TB volume with the control panel through the analogue section in the control panel.
I understand that there is no analogue section in the Khadas but there is apart from the MASTER Volume a panel called Analogue/SPDIF.

upload_2019-12-13_17-41-48.png

So I guess instead of lowering the volume of the operating system or the Khadas control panel the other better option is to get an amp/dac designed for iems.

What is the equivalent to the Kadas/Atom better suited for iems (if there is one)?

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #125 of 192
Thanks for the reply baskingshark.

I read somewhere (maybe in the khadas forum) that you can lower the Khadas TB volume with the control panel through the analogue section in the control panel.
I understand that there is no analogue section in the Khadas but there is apart from the MASTER Volume a panel called Analogue/SPDIF.

So I guess instead of lowering the volume of the operating system or the Khadas control panel the other better option is to get an amp/dac designed for iems.

What is the equivalent to the Kadas/Atom better suited for iems (if there is one)?

I think it's not the Khadas Tone Board (DAC) having an issue with the IEMs, but more of the amp component, maybe your amp is too "powerful" for high sensitivity/low impedance IEMs. Some IEMs do not need amping in the first place, as they were designed to perform with a low powered source such as smartphones.

I don't have the Atom, but I pair a Fiio A3 amp with my KTB and I have tried about 20 IEMs with this pairing (most of my IEMs have sensitivity > 100ish and impedance < 32 ohms), and I usually do not exceed 2/10 of the Fiio A3's volume knob. At 2.5/10 it starts getting painful to the ears. Pairing high impedance earbuds/headphones with it is another story though, I usually need to hit 4 - 6/10 on the volume knob for these.

Maybe the rest that own an Atom can advise though.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #130 of 192
if this was previously working and then wasn't after a windoze update, you will need to unplug, and re-plug, and likely reboot the computer

that'd be my first guess, or try another usb port (can't explain it, but it worked for me although i have blocked windoze auto updates)

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #131 of 192
if this was previously working and then wasn't after a windoze update, you will need to unplug, and re-plug, and likely reboot the computer

that'd be my first guess, or try another usb port (can't explain it, but it worked for me although i have blocked windoze auto updates)

I just received the board so I wouldn't know if it worked before, but I did try multiple USB ports (2.0, 3.0 and 3.1)

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #132 of 192
did you install the drivers ?

as i noted, if you haven't reconnected and re-booted, it won't magically start to respond

and have you tried another cable yet ? and is it the supplied cable ? it needs a data connection, not just a simple charging cable

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #133 of 192
did you install the drivers ?

as i noted, if you haven't reconnected and re-booted, it won't magically start to respond

and have you tried another cable yet ? and is it the supplied cable ? it needs a data connection, not just a simple charging cable
Yes, I have installed v224 and v414 EVAL and restarted after each installation. My seller didn't give me a cable with it, but the cable I use can transfer data on my phone well.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #134 of 192
mine is currently using the default windoze driver

it's win home ver 1909, and the driver is listed as (2) XMOS XS1-U8 MFA

if i remember correctly mine kept disconnecting, and i thought it was the usb, but maybe the update to generic driver for win 1909 "fixed" the problem - some people suggest it sounds "better" with the windows default driver anyway

try letting wndoze update the driver for you perhaps ?

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #135 of 192
mine is currently using the default windoze driver

it's win home ver 1909, and the driver is listed as (2) XMOS XS1-U8 MFA

if i remember correctly mine kept disconnecting, and i thought it was the usb, but maybe the update to generic driver for win 1909 "fixed" the problem - some people suggest it sounds "better" with the windows default driver anyway

try letting wndoze update the driver for you perhaps ?
I leave the board plugged in but windows doesn't even try to install drivers, it doesn't seem to be able to be recognized by anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back