Khadas Tone Board DAC = WOW!
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #152 of 192
I see the Thesycon drives have disappeared from the khadas website.
Anywhere else to get them? I plugged the KTB into my PC and under device manager see XMOS DFU. In Sound Settings, it's named Khadas Tone Control. But I am unable to select any 24-bit option. It's only 16-bit or 32-bit. Is that standard, or do I need to update something?

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #153 of 192
Anywhere else to get them? I plugged the KTB into my PC and under device manager see XMOS DFU. In Sound Settings, it's named Khadas Tone Control. But I am unable to select any 24-bit option. It's only 16-bit or 32-bit. Is that standard, or do I need to update something?
Same here, it can not do 24bit, audirvana goes to 32bits, khadas has no 24 bit option, 16 or 32 only... Kind of ankoying really. This, and the poor power stability.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #155 of 192
New firmware and new drives are available. Ether firmware 2.0 is a miracle or my firmware was bugged because audio quality after the update is AMAZING. The audio has turned to liquid!

i saw the update, but there is no information on what it actually achieves

is there a new interface to adjust the bit rates or frequency ?

because my khadas already sounds fantastic with the "old" firmware, so more details would inspire me to do the flashing maybe, but sometime if it ain't broke i'd rather not try.... luckily i have a 2nd tone board in transit, so i can experiment

if the firmware is upgraded, can it be reflashed back to the earlier version ?

lots of questions, but no knowledge

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #156 of 192
New firmware and new drives are available. Ether firmware 2.0 is a miracle or my firmware was bugged because audio quality after the update is AMAZING. The audio has turned to liquid!

Thanks for the headsup, look forward to trying it.
Any link?

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #157 of 192
here's what i know.... not much

https://forum.khadas.com/t/tone1-upgrade-to-official-v2-00-firmware/10174

let me try again :

https://www.khadas.com/post/tone1-upgrade-to-official-v2-firmware

edit :

bleeding edge guy i am, done ! seems to sound good, maybe a tad more crisp and clinical but given a/b testing is impossible, and my ears are "tuned" to the older version, i am not capable of valid comparison

currently i think i preferred the old version, but that's likely more to do with familiarity... i'll see what i think in a week or two, and then agonise on the practicality of reverting to the older version if that's possible

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #158 of 192
here's what i know.... not much

https://forum.khadas.com/t/tone1-upgrade-to-official-v2-00-firmware/10174

let me try again :

https://www.khadas.com/post/tone1-upgrade-to-official-v2-firmware

edit :

bleeding edge guy i am, done ! seems to sound good, maybe a tad more crisp and clinical but given a/b testing is impossible, and my ears are "tuned" to the older version, i am not capable of valid comparison

currently i think i preferred the old version, but that's likely more to do with familiarity... i'll see what i think in a week or two, and then agonise on the practicality of reverting to the older version if that's possible

Yep I just updated my KTB, and I do feel it is a tinge more detailed and analytical sounding with slightly better transients than before the update. But dunno if this is psychological since we can't do A/B testing. Anyways, I'm still enjoying the KTB 1+ years after I first got it, my favourite DAC for sure.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #159 of 192
My second go-to dac after my denafrips, is it a sign that TB2 is coming?

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #160 of 192
several hours down the track and i'm not so keen on the changes

the hit on transient treble such as rim shots and attack on guitar seem harsher and overwhelmed, whereas the bass seems to lack the same attack and sound muddy, but previously it was remarkably coherent

the dynamic range for all the midrange reproduction is way compressed

it might be a synergy thing, but the living room system has been degraded imho

i will be changing it back if that's a possibility.... i hope that's the case

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #161 of 192
despite best attempts, it seems i can't find any process that will revert to 1.04

the "new" sound is decidedly less wonderful - using either the wharfedale 10 speakers (10.1's + 10.gx sub) via a nad d3020 amp (previously gorgeous, now profoundly disappointing), or the focal elear headphones (as above)

it's not totally crap, but it is significantly less musical - a combination of harsh upper register and muddy bass

yes, i'm hearing some frequencies that were masked before, but a lot of the detail i liked is missing, like listening from behind a curtain compared to before

concise details on how to effect a reversion to 1.04 is here
https://forum.khadas.com/t/does-the-v2-00-firmware-sound-better/10176/19

thanks to thd0*1

the piano and vocals are back where they were, and the rest is much more pleasant *on my equipment, to my ears*

ymmv but the whole idea is to enjoy what you got the most

additional comment - the tone board remains the best value for money component in my system :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #162 of 192
The new firmware has been nothing but a win for me. The sound is much more organic and natural sounding, the windows 24bit bug is fixed and I'm not getting the occasional pops and clicks I was before.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #163 of 192
never had pops or clicks ever

what's the equipment you are using with it ? i reckon that's part of the equation for personal experience and satisfaction

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #164 of 192
Khadas Tone 2 Pro is gonna release soon:

127043301_1551395088377286_4625811149449356302_o.jpg

https://www.khadas.com/tone2pro
https://www.facebook.com/khadas.official/posts/1551398151710313

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #165 of 192
nice heads up

reading the specs i can't see it offers me anything over and above what the tone 1 delivers for my meagre needs currently

and i am no fan of rgb bling (" RGB LED ring for status indication and feedback. ") - it's an annoying distraction although i appreciate that it is a simple way to notify settings, but it is usually way too bright for my tastes, unfortunately for me

hybrid digital / analogue volume is a good thing - the stoner ud130 utilises this and it is very precise and feels like an old school volume dial but with no pot hiss, and easy selection of just the right loudness

the ud130 also has an led light to signal output, and it's blinding from directly in front, and intrusively bright in a dark room

some nice features for those who need it; essentially the same ess chip, and the added amplification is great for power hungry phones (mine max out at 80ohms with the elears, and the tone drives them effortlessly, so not something i currently need)

size is good, not so sure of the form factor, but at least it has a case :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back