Khadas Tone Board DAC = WOW!
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #106 of 192
If anyone wants to see if they can replicate my driver RMAA results that would be interesting. All you need is the software and a line-in on your PC (unless you get a ground loop when doing it).

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #107 of 192
i used the purely biased subjective testing with my ears (matter of fact, i'm doing a further test now, following several hours of testing yesterday)

the khadas still sounds ridiculously good (but i confess i haven't tried the matrix) :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #108 of 192
I was using a FiiO X3 2nd gen with a FiiO A5 amp. Was satisfied, nice mobile combination.
With my easy to drive Shure SRH1840, the A5 relaxed the sound and gave it room to breathe.
The X3 could even be used as a DAC.

Buuuuuuut. I upgraded to the Tone Board with the JDS Atom. Holy. It sounds so much better. Way clearer, more defined, the sound has way more structure to it. Details that I've never heard before.
Love the Khadas, great sound.

My Focal Elear (black Friday 400 bucks, great offer) will arrive some day next week, can't wait to use them with my new combo.

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #109 of 192
i've been proselytising the heavenly virtues of the khadas to anyone who will listen

and of those who have physically turned up and done so, the consensus of =WOW! remains 100% of sample

in terms of acoustic experience, i explained to a friend than moving from a discrete sound card, even with burson op amps, to the newer generations of sound chip was like flying after travelling at impressive speed terrestrially; the rather "old" ud110v2 as a simple usb stick with audio out was like escaping gravity

the next step up to the khadas was like being used to a biplane, and then experiencing a fighter jet

yes, it's evolution rather than revolution that the first step was, but gee, it's impossible for anyone with ears to ignore the differences

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #110 of 192
Khadas Board with Atom Amp is a nice Combo but now out of business since i got my E1DA Dacs.. Its sad that its just catching dust... wait a moment.. i could use it in my office with my dt880...
Nice! Well actually never thought of this.. cool

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #111 of 192
Khadas Board with Atom Amp is a nice Combo but now out of business since i got my E1DA Dacs.. Its sad that its just catching dust... wait a moment.. i could use it in my office with my dt880...
Nice! Well actually never thought of this.. cool

How would you describe the sound difference between the Khadas and the E1DA?

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #112 of 192
I got my Tone Board on Friday so I've spent a few hours with it and compared it with my Topping D10. I can't hear any difference between the two... They are both noise free, neutral and transparent. Nothing is being hidden, lost or veiled with the D10 and nothing extra is being extracted or revealed by the Tone Board. I'll stick with the Khadas for a while longer and see if anything presents itself.

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #113 of 192
@regawdless
hard to compare because i got me unbalanced cables and new stuff that i have not tested on the combo.
But without the HpToy EQ app on my pdv2 its pretty useless for me when i am not able to dramatically enhance the sound hardware based.

Also i dondt want to use it anymore with my sundaras..i could compare it maybe..but this little box makes two big devices obsolete for me.. so it will go to my office

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #114 of 192
Anyone here tried or used iFi iSilencer 3.0 with Khadas Tone Board USB input before?

Does it make any improvements?
Or do you think it will bring any improvements?

Besides IFi iSilencer 3.0 , iFi iDefender 3.0 and Audioquest Jitterbug also can, if any of you have any experience with it or own any of this USB filter, mind trying it with Khadas Tone Board and share your reviews?

Because I'm deciding whether to get one. Since using Khadas Tone Board from PC USB port not sure whether the signal is clean or not?

Also thinking is there any possible chance Khadas Tone Board already implemented some USB filter onboard and no external USB filter is required. Haha

Please share your opinions if available haha thanks.

Using Khadas Tone Board with JDS LABS ATOM by the way, hoping the best quality I can extract out of everything

Attachments

• 15760425053104447301052800157556.jpg
    15760425053104447301052800157556.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #115 of 192
Anyone here tried or used iFi iSilencer 3.0 with Khadas Tone Board USB input before?

Does it make any improvements?
Or do you think it will bring any improvements?

Besides IFi iSilencer 3.0 , iFi iDefender 3.0 and Audioquest Jitterbug also can, if any of you have any experience with it or own any of this USB filter, mind trying it with Khadas Tone Board and share your reviews?

Because I'm deciding whether to get one. Since using Khadas Tone Board from PC USB port not sure whether the signal is clean or not?

Also thinking is there any possible chance Khadas Tone Board already implemented some USB filter onboard and no external USB filter is required. Haha

Please share your opinions if available haha thanks.

Using Khadas Tone Board with JDS LABS ATOM by the way, hoping the best quality I can extract out of everything

I don't have any of those devices, but the Khadas Tone Board signal from PC USB port is one of the cleanest I have heard in a DAC. I don't think u need any extra devices IMHO. I haven't heard any noise with it for various IEMs, earbuds or headphones, but maybe the rest can advise too.

IMHO, if u have Khadas Tone Board + JDS Labs Atom, it is one of the best sound you can get for the price in 2019.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #116 of 192
I don't have any of those devices, but the Khadas Tone Board signal from PC USB port is one of the cleanest I have heard in a DAC. I don't think u need any extra devices IMHO. I haven't heard any noise with it for various IEMs, earbuds or headphones, but maybe the rest can advise too.

IMHO, if u have Khadas Tone Board + JDS Labs Atom, it is one of the best sound you can get for the price in 2019.

I see.. Haha just wondering if the iFi iSilencer 3.0 would further improve and lower the noise floor even more and make even cleaner and better separation. Haha
Although khadas is very clean .. But scare my source is not as clean haha. Just a worry.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #117 of 192
Did anyone see this? Measurements of Khadas tone board desktop DAC

https://l7audiolab.com/f/review-and-measurements-of-soncoz-sgd1

Way below you see a master chart. It is about equal to $1700 Matrix X-Sabre Pro.

WOW
From the designer of the KTB no less. It has balanced outputs, a volume knob (eliminate my passive preamp to my power amp), measures as well as the Matrix X, and recently seemed to eliminate the ESS-IMD hump. If the volume pot used is high quality, this might be my end game DAC boys.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #118 of 192
From the designer of the KTB no less. It has balanced outputs, a volume knob (eliminate my passive preamp to my power amp), measures as well as the Matrix X, and recently seemed to eliminate the ESS-IMD hump. If the volume pot used is high quality, this might be my end game DAC boys.
No IMD hump too, crazy value then.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #119 of 192
I am using Khadas TB (with updated firmware v.1.04) together with a newly acquired JDS Labs Atom as my desktop set up. I use the set up with HD650, HD58x and a few different iems (Pinnacle PX, Sony XBA N3, Vsonic GR09). Generally I am happy with the sound characteristics as the Atom is very clear and transparent but also find it a bit lean (maybe a bit sterile) although I guess this is expected with an amp with reference measurements.
The only issue I have is that when using iems (most of them 30-50 Ohms) the volume get really loud with a few mm turn of the knob. Is it ok to turn down the volume of the khadas TB using the TUSBAudio Control Panel or will that result in sound degradation?

Thanks

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #120 of 192
I am using Khadas TB (with updated firmware v.1.04) together with a newly acquired JDS Labs Atom as my desktop set up. I use the set up with HD650, HD58x and a few different iems (Pinnacle PX, Sony XBA N3, Vsonic GR09). Generally I am happy with the sound characteristics as the Atom is very clear and transparent but also find it a bit lean (maybe a bit sterile) although I guess this is expected with an amp with reference measurements.
The only issue I have is that when using iems (most of them 30-50 Ohms) the volume get really loud with a few mm turn of the knob. Is it ok to turn down the volume of the khadas TB using the TUSBAudio Control Panel or will that result in sound degradation?

Thanks

The general consensus among my audiophile friends is to max out the volume (or close to max) on the desktop/control panel, and adjust the volume knob at the amp area (if u are not getting distortion with the volume close to max at the desktop). Most IEMs will probably have lower impedance than some high impedance headphones/earbuds, so it is not surprising for highly sensitive/low impedance IEMs to get loud at low volume knob settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back