KG CFA3 headphone amp
Nov 8, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,726 of 1,794
Looking forward to the comparison.

After 12 months of pointless prevarication on my part and with great encouragement from reading this thread I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 300B DHT Cabernet pre-amp from Supratek. I was keen on the idea of an Envy as it could double up as a pre-amp and a stand-alone amp. But my instincts (and this thread) lead me to go all in on the pre-amp/CFA3 combination and then get the best tubes I can when Elrogs become available again (especially as I don’t know how the Envy performs as a preamp).

Estimated wait time is only 4 weeks which is better than I expected.
You could also ask Mick to add a headphone out. He added one to mine. Limited impedance range, but it works great with, say, my ZMF.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,729 of 1,794
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #1,730 of 1,794
this is not a heathkit. nor is it as well documented as some of the nelson pass stuff.
its also not one amplifier. its a range of amplifiers with 4 different input boards, 3 output boards and a range of power supplies and voltages. some are all thru hole. some have significant amounts of surface mount. definitely requires significant mechanical ability to do the required chassis work.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #1,731 of 1,794
this is not a heathkit. nor is it as well documented as some of the nelson pass stuff.
its also not one amplifier. its a range of amplifiers with 4 different input boards, 3 output boards and a range of power supplies and voltages. some are all thru hole. some have significant amounts of surface mount. definitely requires significant mechanical ability to do the required chassis work.
@kevin gilmore I've gone through headcase thread, and learned some stuff,

Toroid transformer(1or2) >> Golden Reference power supply (1or2) >> CFA3 2 boards or CFA2 4 boards or CFA3 SMD >> protection circuit >> Output
And there are different Transistors available and voltages and super symmetry or zero feedback. Did I miss something in the circuit?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,732 of 1,794
Thanks, I've seen that thread but i can't understand any of that stuff because I'm not from electrical background.I hoped that there is some build guide or something like DIY kit guides, that's why I asked.

It’s a great amp, and a fun project. There are lots of ways to build it and, and have it come out great. That’s why there is no one guide. You need not have a a EE degree, though significant experience and patience is required. I’ve learned a lot myself, and if you ask specific informed questions (here or at head case), I think you will find folks are very kind and helpful.

This is one of the harder, yet more rewarding builds. If you put in time time you will rewarded with what I’d argue is the best, most powerful headphone amps you can find. Every one is kind of unique too, because there are so many choices. If you are not comfortable building without a guide, getting boards made, testing troubleshooting, etc this may not be the project for you.

If DIY isn’t your thing, head amp is releasing what seems like a well made a fairly priced complete option (parts alone add up fast on this build).

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #1,733 of 1,794
@audioguru1 thanks for sharing your thoughts. If the retail version is priced at a reasonable cost i might consider it or i might build one. I like DIYing but I don't have any experience building new projects, I'm able to fix small electronic products if they broke, like Earphones.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #1,734 of 1,794
Thought I'd drop my progress on my Dual Mono CFA3 Hybrid here. Just a one-off for personal use. I'm a music electronics tube amp tech mostly. Anyway, getting close to completion. I've got it working and blowing my mind daily, but still a mess on my desk. Needs to go in the modushop chassis still. I tweaked the ubal2baltube boards a bit to accommodate the Siemens E288CC, which is a slightly uprated 6922. Almost double heater and plate current vs 6922.

2x +-30v 100VA golden ref supplies, 1x golden ref HV100 board/supply for the tubes (custom toroidy audio supreme trafo), 4x CFA boards, 2x "ubal2baltube" tube input boards, and protector board.

Many thanks to the man himself, Kevin. As well as Dukei, and everyone at Head-case for the guidance.

So far I own an early LCD-2.1 and LCD-X. I have also tried the LCD-X, Empyrean, Susvara, HD-800, ZMF Verite, and HE-500. So far the Susvara takes the prize easily. I'm very interested in the Abyss 1266 Phi TC though. Any input appreciated!

Attachments

• image_50355969.JPG
    image_50355969.JPG
    964.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9384.jpg
    IMG_9384.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #1,735 of 1,794
Can any builders offer their input on my layout before I start drilling?

Amp: Left or right? Input comes in the middle, so figured I'd go right down the middle to the vol pot. Which layout is best?

Power Supply: The center transformer will interfere with the rather deep power switch if I push it back any further. Too close to the GRHV100 board? Is the GRHV too close to IEC input at the rear/bottom? Note the heatsink on the GRHV won't be there, sand will be sinked to bottom plate via a block I think. Flip position of GRHV?

Thanks!
image_67238657.JPG

image_67528449.JPG

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,736 of 1,794
DHT Cabernet from Mick just arrived…The wood is really nice. Nicer than the pictures online.

IMG_6948.jpeg

It does all the things that others have already mentioned on this thread. More holographic / more texture / more lifelike timbre. More sense of “presence” especially with live recordings. You can really hear the room. Only downside so far is a slightly softer/bloomier bass.

What really surprised me though was more detail. How is that possible? It’s probably something to do with all those micro spatial cues.

I feel like my system has levelled up. It’s killer with the Susvaras.

Currently running with some AN4300E’s and RCA smoked glass to tide me over until I’m ready to pull the trigger on some Elrogs.

Low’ish gain on the DHT pre and high gain and full volume on the CFA3. With high gain on the DHT I get a bit of noise.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,737 of 1,794
DHT Cabernet from Mick just arrived…The wood is really nice. Nicer than the pictures online.

IMG_6948.jpeg

It does all the things that others have already mentioned on this thread. More holographic / more texture / more lifelike timbre. More sense of “presence” especially with live recordings. You can really hear the room. Only downside so far is a slightly softer/bloomier bass.

What really surprised me though was more detail. How is that possible? It’s probably something to do with all those micro spatial cues.

Currently running with some AN4300E’s and RCA smoked glass to tide me over until I’m ready to pull the trigger on some Elrogs.

Low’ish gain on the DHT pre and high gain and full volume on the CFA3. With high gain on the DHT I get a bit of noise.
Really great choice with the exceptional 4300E. If your build has it, use the manual gain.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,738 of 1,794
Really great choice with the exceptional 4300E. If your build has it, use the manual gain.
Thanks for the tip about adjusting the manual gain. The slightly loose bass was mostly with my Calderas (less so with my Susvaras). I’ve increased the gain to about the mid-point on the dial and the bass is now much tighter. A big difference and immediately noticeable.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #1,739 of 1,794
This gain thing is interesting. Currently running high gain on the pre-amp and low gain on the CFA3. With the Calderas they really come alive. The bass thumps way more - everything sounds more vibrant.

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,740 of 1,794

I have tried three pre- amps with the CFA-3. Benchmark LA-4, Audio-gd HE-1 tube, and Audio-gd HE-1 MK3. All of them increased detail- even though everyone says a preamp adds distortion. (By the way, both audio-gd's trumped the Benchmark). And my results with the HE-1 Tube are similar in description to yours with your tube preamp. More texture, more lifelike timber, more tonal saturation, more detail- and yes- a bit looser (more flabby bass)-- it just comes with the package. I actually believe this distortion is the other side of the same coin that adds the thicker texture. Meaning- it is one in the same. There is a positive side to it and a negitive side to it; but it is the same mechanism; harmonic distortion which texturizes the bass and midrange mostly...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back