KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,126 of 1,794
Supposing I wanted to build my own, about how much money would this cost me in parts?
I'm not the most competent one here, but it depends on your chosen setup and parts available.

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,128 of 1,794
Are parts available and currently produced?
All parts are produced, but availability for some is very limited, but it is doable. You need to decide what build are you aiming at, e.g. full dual mono, how will be PS build, what voltage it will use and so on... Maybe you should read right thread at other (HC) site to get knowledge.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,129 of 1,794
I mean, I have zero concept of what all the parts cost. Are we talking $100 in parts or $1,000 in parts? I understand there's some customizability, but, like, a ballpark figure of what a basic build would cost in parts would be helpful. I know I've seen some already-built units sell for around $4,000, but I have no idea how much of that is labor and extra features/upgraded components/etc, versus just the average cost of building a basic one myself.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,130 of 1,794
I mean, I have zero concept of what all the parts cost. Are we talking $100 in parts or $1,000 in parts? I understand there's some customizability, but, like, a ballpark figure of what a basic build would cost in parts would be helpful. I know I've seen some already-built units sell for around $4,000, but I have no idea how much of that is labor and extra features/upgraded components/etc, versus just the average cost of building a basic one myself.
around $1000 is starting point with quality components/parts.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,132 of 1,794
Is it intentional that the information on how to build one of these is so hard to find?
:) I don't think, but it is not for every one, you need to have skills and knowledge to build such a amp. And man with such a knowledge knows where to look... No secrets here, Mr. Gilmore published all needed information and helped with troubleshooting.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,134 of 1,794
Welp, I'm going to be building a Bottlehead Crack in the coming months, and when I finish that up, I'm keen to start building one of these. So hopefully people don't mind an absolute deluge of questions once I get started, lol

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #1,135 of 1,794
One of the questions which irks me about the CFA3, as much as I am sold on its solidity as an amp, is the preamp question. Simply put, why is it that at least 2 of the CFA3's fondest advocates in this forum, also seem to advocate or at lest favor using preamps with it--in this case, quite expensive 300b tube preamps that could easily exceed the price of the CFA3 itself. There is obviously nothing wrong with using preamps perse with any amps. In this particular case, however, this frequent mention of required preamps inevitably leads me to the question of what perceived inadequacies (if one might rightly call them "inadequacies") of the CFA3's performance--flying solo-- are the preamps meant to "correct".

Does the CFA3 exhibit in flying solo, any particular inadequacies (such as too much brute power, or lack of some unspecified audio refinements, for example) that these preamps are meant to correct? I hope this question sounds reasonable enough to keep fans of the CFA3 from crying Blasphemy! I am a fan of the unit myself, and an aspiring owner of one, without having heard it for myself. I just feel compelled to ask because I do not habitually hear head-fiers speak of the (head-) amps I already own in a manner that suggests that an external preamp might be necessarily required for them to perform at their optimal best levels. If there is something I am overlooking, I would be glad to be set straight. Many thanks.

The way I see it most people use CFA-3 with the Susvara and AB1266. Both headphones especially the Abyss are not known for their gentle treble response... I don't think it's the amp's fault for being transparent. Actually this kinda reminds me of something that happened a couple years back... some people from a certain other forum complained non-stop about the GS-X MK2 being peaky with guess what, a freaking stock HD800 which don't need further explanation about their infamous 6kHz peak. I've been using the GS-X MK2 for a while: even in stock condition before @Dukei worked his magic and shoved a miniaturized dual mono Golden Reference power supply in the HeadAmp's chassis, the GS-X never felt peaky to me with the Focal Utopia. Aggressive and impactful yes but not peaky and glary.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,136 of 1,794
Welp, I'm going to be building a Bottlehead Crack in the coming months, and when I finish that up, I'm keen to start building one of these. So hopefully people don't mind an absolute deluge of questions once I get started, lol

Probably best to direct those questions towards headcase as you'll get the most help there.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,137 of 1,794
The way I see it most people use CFA-3 with the Susvara and AB1266. Both headphones especially the Abyss are not known for their gentle treble response... I don't think it's the amp's fault for being transparent. Actually this kinda reminds me of something that happened a couple years back... some people from a certain other forum complained non-stop about the GS-X MK2 being peaky with guess what, a freaking stock HD800 which don't need further explanation about their infamous 6kHz peak. I've been using the GS-X MK2 for a while: even in stock condition before @Dukei worked his magic and shoved a miniaturized dual mono Golden Reference power supply in the HeadAmp's chassis, the GS-X never felt peaky to me with the Focal Utopia. Aggressive and impactful yes but not peaky and glary.
I am using mine with both the susvara and abyss TC and have found no need for a pre amp or tubes in front of it but I know many do

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,138 of 1,794
Dukei is building a CFA3 for me, and I'm *hoping* that I love the sound with my Susvara and Abyss TC sans preamp, but I'm ok with adding a lovely glowing pre if need be. I'll report back when it's arrived and is run in.

The two-box CFA3 will look nice next to my two-box T2. Well, it will one day — these things don't happen overnight :)

Love this thread. So good at keeping my bank account lean and fast.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,139 of 1,794

A CFA3 is going to be a BIG increase in difficulty coming up from the Crack. Selecting and sourcing parts, heatsinking, casework, doing the mains wiring and grounding yourself without instruction, and a far smaller community of builders for troubleshooting. Completely different league, with a very really chance of failure meaning your investment would be essentially unusable.

I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't do it. But ask yourself whether you are willing to spend all that time and money and potentially still not end up with a functional amp.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,140 of 1,794
A CFA3 is going to be a BIG increase in difficulty coming up from the Crack. Selecting and sourcing parts, heatsinking, casework, doing the mains wiring and grounding yourself without instruction, and a far smaller community of builders for troubleshooting. Completely different league, with a very really chance of failure meaning your investment would be essentially unusable.

I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't do it. But ask yourself whether you are willing to spend all that time and money and potentially still not end up with a functional amp.
Is there a more beginner friendly amp that you would recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back