KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #1,096 of 1,794
yes i retired. the rest is pure nonsense. all files still available to everyone. split files that fit in a smaller chassis were released in february of this year.

new 100 watt (into 8 ohms) pure class A zero feedback amp is being worked on now. will be posted in the usual place.
parts availability is a real problem.
Thanks for your reply sir. Where can we find those files. Kindly guide as I am very interested in building a CFA3 for myself.

Jul 21, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,097 of 1,794
Nice! Could you elaborate a bit on how it is faring so far with your TOTL cans, notably the Susvara and the TC, as compared with the other amps in your stable? Many thanks in advance.
I love my 2 other amps the 13r with the susvara and the formula s /powerman with the abyss tc...that said in my brief time with the cfa3 I notice the difference in power...the bass is tighter and deeper...the imaging which is one of my biggest concerns is incredible each instrument in its own place coming out of a black background...interestingly I think both HP's see improvement but thus far I see the biggest improvement with the susvara...again, nothing detracts from how much I enjoy the amps I had they are outstanding but the new amp is different in a good way and it is not at all cold as some have said,at least to me....I will be giving it more listening and I assume that it will burn in and possibly sound even better...will update if it does..thanks all

Jul 21, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,098 of 1,794
Thanks for your reply sir. Where can we find those files. Kindly guide as I am very interested in building a CFA3 for myself.
there's a stax thread (page 5) in the DIY section of head-case.org. Kevin replied with a link 2 Google drive share folders.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #1,100 of 1,794
Jul 22, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,101 of 1,794
I want to ask advice from experienced members here.

My CFA-3 has a remote. This feature is important to me. However, there are two issues with it. 1. the remote does not catch on to the volume knob unless I point at certain direct angles. It is quite annoying. I checked my batteries and they are strong. Could also be I am at a distance of 4 meters away which may just be to far.. But bottom line- it is not working nearly as well as I would want. Second problem is there is no display to read where the volume is holding. This is something that for some psychological reason I need...

My idea is to get a Benchmark LA4 line amp which has a 256 step volume plus remote plus display to feed the CFA-3. I figure I could put the CFA-3 volume on Max and just use the Benchmark as my remote volume control. My question is- assuming I use very good IC's will the Benchmark sound as good as the volume control on the CFA-3 or will I either loose something or get coloration of some sort? On the one hand- the Benchmark is crazy highly acclaimed. On the other hand, it is another piece of equipment between my dac and CFA-3 and from what I understand- the more components- usually the worse it is....

For those who feel qualified- please advise me....

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #1,103 of 1,794
Dds
I want to ask advice from experienced members here.

My CFA-3 has a remote. This feature is important to me. However, there are two issues with it. 1. the remote does not catch on to the volume knob unless I point at certain direct angles. It is quite annoying. I checked my batteries and they are strong. Could also be I am at a distance of 4 meters away which may just be to far.. But bottom line- it is not working nearly as well as I would want. Second problem is there is no display to read where the volume is holding. This is something that for some psychological reason I need...

My idea is to get a Benchmark LA4 line amp which has a 256 step volume plus remote plus display to feed the CFA-3. I figure I could put the CFA-3 volume on Max and just use the Benchmark as my remote volume control. My question is- assuming I use very good IC's will the Benchmark sound as good as the volume control on the CFA-3 or will I either loose something or get coloration of some sort? On the one hand- the Benchmark is crazy highly acclaimed. On the other hand, it is another piece of equipment between my dac and CFA-3 and from what I understand- the more components- usually the worse it is....

For those who feel qualified- please advise me....
Sonnet Morpheus DAC has excellent volume control with display and remote control. You could try using it with your CFA3.

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,104 of 1,794
I have tried several dacs with volume control. My current position is I do not like digital volume control. I need analogue.. Every digital volume control I use makes things brighter and leaner.... IMHO...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #1,106 of 1,794
I have tried several dacs with volume control. My current position is I do not like digital volume control. I need analogue.. Every digital volume control I use makes things brighter an leaner.... IMHO...
Morpheus does the volume control in a very different approach. The "lossless volume control" on Sonnet Morpheus works "by changing the output voltage of the DAC by changing its reference voltage."

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #1,107 of 1,794
Morpheus does the volume control in a very different approach. The "lossless volume control" on Sonnet Morpheus works "by changing the output voltage of the DAC by changing its reference voltage."

I hear. But- I just bought a dac- and I really like it. So I don't think that is an option. I do appreciate the idea......

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #1,108 of 1,794
Jul 22, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,109 of 1,794
Jul 22, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,110 of 1,794

Users who are viewing this thread

Back