KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jul 6, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #1,066 of 1,794
Finally obtained an abyss 1266 phi tc and just had my first listening session with them on my cfa3. I have read many posts on impressions and reviews of this one and kept an open mind about what to expect.

Honestly, I thought my first time would be a rough one, but after adjusting things to the default position that I saw on the instructional abyss YouTube video and finally giving it a listen, I'm pretty impressed. Yes there is a bit of honk and glare, but the midrange is no where near as bad as I've read. I'm having fun time with them so far. What I like is how the bass can be big and impactful but not truly intrusive on the mids or treble. While I have not really been a fan of planars as I am more of a dynamic and estat listener, the lcd 4 and now the abyss 1266 seem to be planars that work for me.

This is also the first time I felt the need to use the cfa3 on high gain and the 1266 responds very well to the watts this amp puts out. I was also expecting this headphone to be more unforgiving from what I've read about its detail and resolution, but even on poorly recorded tracks I'm still having a good time. It's still too early but I'm not finding much of anything to complain about its sound. The fit is snug and the weight doesn't bother me at all.
Really great to hear.

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #1,071 of 1,794
Where can I buy an already
built version? Thanks
It's worth making a WTB (want to buy) post in classified. There has been quite a few on sale in last few months. It's quite possible someone is willing to sell at the right price.

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,072 of 1,794
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,073 of 1,794
decided to ask here as the other site is eerily quiet...

----

• What's the latest gerber file with both input and output? (filename should be sufficient

• what's the minimum voltage I can use with the amp?

• average power consumption? (or shouldn't even think about it considering it requires massive heatsink? 😁
    1657680097006.gif
    )

• What's the difference between cfa3production.pdf vs cfa3productionss.pdf

• Kevin Gilmore posted a split board Gerber files. He only posted the files for the output section. I am not sure which one is the input section. I looked at the shared folder and I don't know which input section to use.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #1,074 of 1,794
Seems plenty active with on-going builds. Fun.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #1,076 of 1,794
well i may finally be about to receive my cfa3...I dont want to jinx myself here lol...I have been waiting literally for about 9 months..I had arranged to have a smaller box version built by dukeii 9 months ago because I couldnt fit the big box on my shelf...well to make a very long story short for whatever reason it appeared it couldnt be done up to standards so it was shelved but then to my good luck I was told the problem had been solved and the amp was gonna work...on and off for a long time...longer than I have ever waited for any audio product...I persevered because of all the raves here..anyway just when it looked ready to finally come together fedex put a hold on my shipment and has put me through hoops for several days now but finally they say they released it from indianapolis so it should be soon..I must thank my friend paradoxper for not only being the inspiration but also for walking me through the process and then in the last few days calming my frustration...I will report when I get a chance to give it a workout...the box is a fraction of the normal large box so hopefully this will be a big addition to my TC,susvara and sr1a..we shall see

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #1,077 of 1,794
well i may finally be about to receive my cfa3...I dont want to jinx myself here lol...I have been waiting literally for about 9 months..I had arranged to have a smaller box version built by dukeii 9 months ago because I couldnt fit the big box on my shelf...well to make a very long story short for whatever reason it appeared it couldnt be done up to standards so it was shelved but then to my good luck I was told the problem had been solved and the amp was gonna work...on and off for a long time...longer than I have ever waited for any audio product...I persevered because of all the raves here..anyway just when it looked ready to finally come together fedex put a hold on my shipment and has put me through hoops for several days now but finally they say they released it from indianapolis so it should be soon..I must thank my friend paradoxper for not only being the inspiration but also for walking me through the process and then in the last few days calming my frustration...I will report when I get a chance to give it a workout...the box is a fraction of the normal large box so hopefully this will be a big addition to my TC,susvara and sr1a..we shall see
It's Time!

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #1,078 of 1,794
Great news! I'd be particularly keen on reading your comparative impressions of CFA-3 pairings as they stack up against other pairings of Amps and HPs. You do own, or have owned, some HPs as well as amps that have been of relative high interest on some of the forums I like to frequent :

HPs: 1266 TC, the Susvara, the LCD-4/5, the Raal Sr1a
Amps: The Bakoon 13r, the Formula S w/Powerman, hsa-1b. etc.

not to mention : the Dave, and other high performance DACs.

I hope you do understand why I can't wait to hear you weigh-in on discussions of the CFA-3 and how well it stacks up against other amps in pairings with the "usual suspect" array of high-end HPs.

p.s. And oh yeah! @paradoxper is da man! I fully concur!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,080 of 1,794
after my 9 month wait I finally received my small box version ...dukeii worked till he got it right...despite fed ex and import issues it got to me today....initial impressions are very positive...I have listened through my susvara for several hours tonight and initial impressions are very positive...despite my surprise at how high on the volume pot I have to go when in high gain the virtues are obvious and many...imagining is probably the standout to me...I can literally pick out individual instruments in their place in the recording..detail is great and the bass is tight and prominent...it was a long long wait but thus far I am pleased..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back