KG CFA3 headphone amp
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #61 of 1,794
Here we go, this unit was done a couple of hours ago. Listening with my HD800 @210mA bias. Sounds awesome as it always does in zero feedback.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #62 of 1,794
Here we go, this unit was done a couple of hours ago. Listening with my HD800 @210mA bias. Sounds awesome as it always does in zero feedback.
Congrats to the new owner.

Now I see SE (yuck!) does this one have RCA's, you bad boy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #64 of 1,794
I have 30-ish left of those BAL-SE switch boards I have to get rid of. See it as limited edition feature :):)
I'll buy them. I'll burn them. :joy:

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #66 of 1,794
@paradoxper Have you ever tried running the CFA-3 or SuSy Dynahi with a tube preamp? I think it would be pretty interesting. Tube preamp + SS amp seems to be a pretty popular set up for a lot of speakers but I don't really see it much in the headphone world (makes sense, with budget and space constraints).

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #67 of 1,794
@paradoxper Have you ever tried running the CFA-3 or SuSy Dynahi with a tube preamp? I think it would be pretty interesting. Tube preamp + SS amp seems to be a pretty popular set up for a lot of speakers but I don't really see it much in the headphone world (makes sense, with budget and space constraints).
I hadn't. I'd run the Pass Xs preamp but that's more of a transparency thing. I'm generally not trying to mate tubes to pivot sound signatures.

That to say, I generally favor SS over tubes, or in the case of the DIY T2, it's the first hybrid I felt didn't make concessions.

I can admit I've not heard many tube or solid-state pres in front of headamps though.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #68 of 1,794
I hadn't. I'd run the Pass Xs preamp but that's more of a transparency thing. I'm generally not trying to mate tubes to pivot sound signatures.

That to say, I generally favor SS over tubes, or in the case of the DIY T2, it's the first hybrid I felt didn't make concessions.

I can admit I've not heard many tube or solid-state pres in front of headamps though.

I see. I guess I'll have to try it out and report in then!

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #69 of 1,794
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #70 of 1,794
I'm contemplating having someone build either a supersymmetry Dynahi or a CFA3 to drive the Susvara. I know this is a CFA3 thread and I read the Susvara likes alot of current. I am just wondering if the CFA3 will do a better job than the SS Dynahi? It seems the Dynahi puts out more power than the CFA3 based on what I read. Then again the CFA3 is supposed to be more refined than the Dynahi.

Any feedback welcomed!

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #71 of 1,794
I'm contemplating having someone build either a supersymmetry Dynahi or a CFA3 to drive the Susvara. I know this is a CFA3 thread and I read the Susvara likes alot of current. I am just wondering if the CFA3 will do a better job than the SS Dynahi? It seems the Dynahi puts out more power than the CFA3 based on what I read. Then again the CFA3 is supposed to be more refined than the Dynahi.

Any feedback welcomed!
Without defining some reference of sound preferences, it's a little hard to outright advise you. I can see how the SuSy Dynahi is a good fit for some headphones more than others due to the warmth it brings (I always akin it to the GS-X but better everywhere.) Conversely I don't see a place where the Dynahi out performs the CFA3, and this is especially more apparent if we discuss specific drive for planars.

Then again, if you've never heard either, you should have both built...cus.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #72 of 1,794

Any feedback welcomed!

Not shilling as I have nothing to gain from this but I will say that I've heard a fair amount of high end amps and I am of the opinion that the Dynahi (I have yet to hear the CFA3 but I trust paradoxper's ears) is probably as good as you're going to get from a headphone amp. That is, it is pretty much in the top echelon of SS amps for the Susvara and almost nothing I've heard is better. The only amplifier I can think of off the top of my head that I think is "better" is probably the trafomatic primavera (look up that price though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back